Anglo Poker Edition Dech review:(aka Standard index deck)

Feb 4, 2008
Anglo Poker Edition Decks (AKA Standard index Decks)

Where to buy: $6.00 / deck (price varies depending on exchange rate) http://www.el-duco.se/start.asp?languag ... +the+World
Also here: http://www.gycklaren.com/
And here: http://www.bmpokerworld.com/

Information about my reviewing methods: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156760

Initial Impression:
My Initial interest in the Anglo cards came from viewing some pictures of the Rug decks. I almost passed these up thinking that they were the same card only printed on standard index and with different color schemes. Fortunately the staff at Gycklaren(currently the primary distributor of Anglos) informed me otherwise. The Poker Edition Anglo cards were created specifically to cater to the needs of magicians. (At least that is what the ad copy says.) These cards were built to handle more like the more familiar brands from the USPCC line. They are slightly thicker and softer flexing than their older brother, the Rug deck, however, other that that they seem to handle almost identically.

The Look:

Like the Rug decks these decks have almost a circus like look to them. This is especially apparent in the limited edition 2009 green and purple decks. The standard colors are white on black, black on white, red on white, and white on red. As for the special edition decks, it is my understanding that they intend to release a different color combo every couple of years. Over all I have to say that there is just something about that Rug gold. These just don’t trip my trigger like the Rug decks.

The court cards are completely new designs. Another reviewer said they had an art deco feel to them and I tend to agree. Definitely a modern look. Poker purists might get uptight when they realize the King of Hearts is not stabbing himself in the head but for the most part I think they are tasteful new design. The Aces are a bit on the boring side. The Ace of Spades has nothing more than a small spade in the center. The Ace of Hearts is the unique Ace for the Rug decks with a small silhouette of a unicorn under the center heart and “Offason-Sweden” printed under that. Unlike the Rug decks they chose to make the 7s a one way design yet again. Magic wise this was probably a good choice. I think passing a 7 off as an 8 is one of the more powerful convincers out there.

The Anglo Poker cards go back to a standard index and the Kaki box highlighting the pip arrangement is gone. Most of the suits seem to be elongated compared to North American artwork. This gives the clubs in particular a very unique, European look.

Card construction:

The first thing to note is the finish. The finish “feels” just like a Rug deck but a close examination shows an almost checkerboard pattern in the dimples. Like the Rugs the dimples are much smaller than standard dimples. The box is printed with an “Embossed Finish” banner just like the Rug deck. My assumption is that the final coating is the same for both decks but each deck is just dimpled with a slightly different pattern.

The Anglo Pokers decks are cut just like the Rug decks with rounder corners that you may be used to. This may affect some spinning moves but so far I have not noticed an obvious drop in performance.

The last major difference is the length of the deck. Wile the width equals a standard poker deck the Anglos are actually about a half a millimeter longer. Nothing you will really notice when performing with them but worth noting all the same.

In all the deck was about 15 mm thick and weighed in at 95 grams. This makes it about the same width but just a few grams heavier than a Bicycle.

Handling:
Overall they handle almost identical to the Rug decks with the exception of the spring and flex.

Fanning: 9
I can’t tell any major difference between the Anglos Poker Edition fans and the Bike 808. Both fans “feel” about as smooth. What you will notice is that the thin border on these decks seem to advertise fanning inconsistencies a little more.

Spring Moves: 7
The spring on these is almost identical to a way Bike 808’s spring and flex. If you have been scared off by other high end decks because you were afraid they would be more than you could handle these might be worth a look.

Dribbles: 7.5
This was the worst performing characteristic. Sometimes breaking in the cards will help this a bit. Indeed the Tally-ho deck went from one of the worst dribbling decks OOB to the king of the dribblers. Time will tell but for now I’ll shy away from the dribble pass.

Crimp hold and recovery: 8
It seemed to do pretty good in this regard. This has tended to be an indicator of longevity since this category is highly dependant on the stock quality. I’m hoping to get two to three weeks out of this deck at least.

Single card glides: 8
A good performance here in the top card glides and an excellent performance in the bottom card glides. This category seems to be the toughest one to balance out. If the finish is too slick several cards may tend to follow the glide card and if the finish is too sticky cards seem to clump. The Anglo won’t quite beat the Fournier in this category but it is definitely one of the top decks in this category.

2+Card Obfuscations: 8
Opposing corner spin displays were a little weaker than the Rug decks and like their older brother deck you may need to get used to the rounder edge before these become comfortable. Push-off doubles should pull nicely and display well from a single corner. Diving-Board doubles were okay but did not hold together as effortlessly as with a Rug Deck or a Fournier 605. Overall it performs a little better than the Bike 808 in this category but these moves are no where near some other decks I have reviewed. Another note for this category: Many of these moves are dependant on applying certain pressures on the corners. If you can’t get used to the rounder edges you should expect problems with various 2+Os that require a spinning action. Ie. Derek Dingle DL’s and Floop moves.

XCM cuts: Where the Rug decks seemed perfect for flourishers this deck was specifically geared towards the magicians needs. It should perform as well as most but I doubt it will excel in this area.

Card Splitting and Gaff construction/availability: These not only have gaffs available but for about $25.00 you can get a special assortment deck similar to the gaff decks E sells for it’s UV500 line. There are some advantages and disadvantages to this assortment pack. For one the assortment pack includes gaffs for several different backs available in the line. So you won’t need to buy a new gaff pack for each color deck you own. The disadvantage is you might wind up with gaffs for deck colors you don’t own. Still producing a gaff pack in this way saves them, and you, money in the long run. Buying one $6.00 deck to go with a gaff you have is cheaper than getting a $25.00 gaff deck to go with each color you have.

Who should not buy?: People who don’t want to pay $6.00 for a deck.

Who should buy these?: This is a well made deck that caters to the center. Rank amateurs and seasoned pros will get good use out of this deck. In particular, magicians who like using Gaff cards in their magic may want to begin a collection of Anglo Poker Edition decks. USPCC is cracking down on their gaffs. Soon any gaff that alters the back of a bicycle will be gone. Anglos, on the other hand, were designed for magicians by magicians so don’t I foresee any difficulties with making gaff cards in the future.

Final Thoughts:
We shall see how they hold up but overall I think these cards will appeal to most of you. They will move very similar to a standard Bicycle card. The real potential is in the gaffs as I had previously mentioned. I’m not sure yet if USPCC’s legal troubles will force them to shut down production of the E gaffs? (Well to clarify: it will cause an end to the UltraGaff, Red, and Blue masters Gaffs but I’m unsure of the Ghosts, Tigers, ect.) If it does this will be the only brand of card I know of that has an assortment deck of gaffs available. So depending on the current supply of Gaffs on the market the popularity of these cards could be on the rise.

Aside from their obvious appeal to fans of gaff card magic this is also a comparable deck to most of the decks in the 5-7 dollar range, though certainly not a stand out in that price range. While I wasn’t as impressed with this deck as I was the Anglo Rug it will likely get an overall thumbs up from me provided it can make it two weeks.

Feb 4, 2008
Anglo Poker Edition : 1 Week Update
What is the difference between and Anglo Rug and an Anglo Poker edition?
Anglo Poker Edition Video Suppliment on Vimeo

Much like it's older brother, the Anglo Rug Back, this card fanning is the first to go on this deck. What you sacrifice in the fan is made up for in the 2+O category so, as with the Rug, it will all come down to what tradeoffs are you willing to make.

Fan:5
I had originally thought that the switch to a cambric finish was an attempt to keep the fan alive a little longer but I actually feel the fan has deteriorated almost quicker than the Rug back. I'll continue with the review as, overall, I am still enjoying this deck even with its limitations.

Spring:8
I noticed almost no change between this card after a week of use. If I recall the Anglo Rug's overall stiffness deteriorated rather slowly as well. After a week of use this deck will still match a UV500 that just came OOB.

Dribble:6
Woof! most decks I review tend to dribble better after time but this one actually started dribbling worse. I'll put up with a bad fan from time to time but if this gets much worse I'll be calling it quits to the Poker editions.

Crimp Hold/ Recovery: 7(hold) / 6 (recovery)
Another attribute that is putting this deck on the threatened list. Crimps still seem to hold all right but this stock doesn't seem to recover as well as the Rug sock.

Single Card Glides: 7
As the finish deteriorates I'm beginning to notice it is getting a little harder to slide without an extra card tagging along for the ride. The same thing happened with the Rug though it took longer to develop. Overall it is not too bad now but I'll be keeping my eye on this stat.

2+Obfuscations: 9
Well this is one area I have no complaints with. It is very easy to pull doubles, display doubles, and spin doubles with this deck.

Overall thoughts:
Very similar in character to the Anglo rug except that the weakness of the Rug deck seem more pronounced and the strengths of the Rug are not as pronounced. So far I "like" this deck but by no means do I "love" it as I did with the rugs. If this was an attempt to appease magicians...well lets just say that they didn't appease me. I would have preferred they started printing the new colors and gaffs on the original Anglo Rug stock and finish.

Feb 4, 2008
Anglo Poker Edition : Final Week Update

Well we are 9 hours into the second week and things have just gotten too bad to continue. The nice springy stock, the excellent scores on the 2+O, and the good scores on the single card glides were enough to tolerate the poor fans but those have degraded enough that I just can't justify continuing the review. It is acting less like a deck of cards that happens to fans poorly and more like a couple of cardboard cut outs that kind of act like a deck of cards.

Fan:5
Not much more to add that hasn't already been said.

Spring:7
I finally noticed a sleight drop in the stiffness. It is kind of hard to detect as the deck clumps together so much that it gives the impression of a deck that is stiffer than it is.

Dribble:6
Obviously it isn't much of a dribbler.

Crimp Hold/ Recovery: 6(hold) / 6 (recovery)
I gave it a sleight drop in the crimp hold. You will likely need a good eye, or a strong crimp, to make use of this deck in this category.

Single Card Glides: 5
This is what really did it for me. The Anglo rug maintained a good glide even when it fanned very poorly but the Poker editions can't seem to match that performance. Having this stat "slide" down to a 5 is what ultimately ended this review.

2+Obfuscations: 8
Only a slight drop here due mainly to various push off doubles. Though the buckle method used in the Hugard& Braue Push Off DL still performs fine, standard push off techniques are very unreliable. Other moves in this category were not adversely effected.

Overall thoughts:
Honestly I'm a bit disappointed. These were put to bed almost a full week before the Rug deck. They did not quite make the 2 week mark which is kind of a personal bellwether for decks in the 5-7 dollar range. Indeed they lasted exactly as long as a Tally Hos, which were put down at one week and nine hours though for different reasons. Tally Hos retail for about $2.50-$3.00...these are more than twice as much. Overall these just don't have what the Rug decks have. They got rid of the gold paint making them less elegant looking, the cards are thicker and don't have the same smooth feel to them, and they don't seem to last as long. If the Anglos were Baldwin Brothers I thing the Poker Edition would be like Daniel (Isn't that the one nobody has heard of?)

Honestly I am likely being too harsh. I'd probably have liked it better had I not reviewed the Rugs prior to this. It's no secret that the Rug back decks are solidly in my top three decks for overall look and quality so my expectations for Anglo cards were set quite high. If you like the looks of these cards, if you like gaff card magic, and if you are looking for a deck with a bit more stiffness and security than standard USPCC wares then I would still recommend it. My big complaint is that they tried to reinvent the wheel(Rug deck in this case) and in so doing did not successfully address the weaknesses of that deck and also didn't match it's strengths. My advice...Get a Rug deck...and if you really need gaffs then beg Offason to make an assortment deck for Rugs as they have with the Poker Ed. As it stands that assortment pack of Gaffs is the only advantage you will find in the Poker deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results