Another Fearson Levitation!

Simplicity in method should NEVER be taken into consideration when determining the possible strength and impact of an effect.

Alot of magics' greatest effects that kill lay people are extremely simple. The method does not matter. If you are a good performer, then the impact will come automatically.

Actually I never measure the effectiveness of a trick by its method you shouldn't be so quick to jump to assumptions but I trust my thoughts on the impact of an effect by the way its presented and appearance I appreciate the insight thaough but very unnessecary.

"Look my penis is holding me up", come on that was pretty lame, presentation equals crap. The levitation itself wasn't impressive or a must have on my list.

Sep 1, 2007
Actually I never measure the effectiveness of a trick by its method you shouldn't be so quick to jump to assumptions but I trust my thoughts on the impact of an effect by the way its presented and appearance I appreciate the insight thaough but very unnessecary.

"Look my penis is holding me up", come on that was pretty lame presenataion equals crap. The levitation itself not impressive nor is a must have for me.

My post was mainly directed to this entire thread, I just chose your post because it pretty much summed up the view of the majority of the thread.

I wasn't trying to jump to conclusions, it just seemed like the method in this effect was being criticized for its apparent simplicity. I just wanted to point out that an effect should not be judged based on method, presentation or first impression.

If you don't like the presentation, change it. You should anyway to make it your own. You can see an ambitious card routine done horribly, and dismiss it as a bad effect, or something that wouldn't fool anyone. But with the right presentation, work put into it and correct handling, can appear as a real miracle.

Again, my post was not directed at you personally, just the topic of the thread.

My post was mainly directed to this entire thread, I just chose your post because it pretty much summed up the view of the majority of the thread.

I wasn't trying to jump to conclusions, it just seemed like the method in this effect was being criticized for its apparent simplicity. I just wanted to point out that an effect should not be judged based on method, presentation or first impression.

If you don't like the presentation, change it. You should anyway to make it your own. You can see an ambitious card routine done horribly, and dismiss it as a bad effect, or something that wouldn't fool anyone. But with the right presentation, work put into it and correct handling, can appear as a real miracle.

Again, my post was not directed at you personally, just the topic of the thread.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Exactly! The jacket doesn't have to be directly implied as a component of the effect. Is can simply be: Magician removes jacket, holds it natrually by his side, suddenly ascends into a vetical levitation (no attention has been given to the jacket at all), magician descends, gets frightened, tosses jacket back on.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
The cover doesn't have to be as explicitly displayed as in the demo. The jacket or another object could be in frront of the magician obscuring the dirty work during the levitation, and with a proper prop justification and presentation, it could easily fly (no pun intended).

Off the top of my head here.... say you see a spirit on stage with you, so you carefully take off your coat in an attempt to trap the little bugger. You approach it when suddenly, the spirit lifts you 3 feet off the ground! You panic for a second when suddenly, the spirit slowly lets you down and escapes.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Hahahahaha.
Fearson fooled you all.
That actually IS his ***** holding him up.

This levitation was a big deal back in the olden days of the early nineties. The best use of it I ever saw was a comedy magician who had a "Towel of Mystery" that made things float. He did a pretty funny zombie routine, then floated a few random objects, then floated himself. It was a riot and people were knocked out by it in that context, but it is hard to imagine anyone being deeply mystified by it with a serious presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results