Another Rumour - Cellophane Girl

Jan 1, 2008
A few things; you need to be mindful of your angles whenever you perform any kind of reverse. I played with this trick when I first saw Chad lecture, and I think a better way to reverse the ace is to use the first sequence in Vernon's original twisting the aces.
It's just a bad moment to do a "move".

Second, every time I see you pull up your sleeves, it looks like you're getting ready to do a move, big time.

One last thing, the packet switch at the end isn't supposed to be done fast, it's supposed to look like you just peel the court card off onto the deck.

Best of luck.

Sep 1, 2007
I only pulled up my sleeves one, no?

I agree as far as the reverse and the packet switch goes, those are the two things that really erked me in this video; the reverse because of the flash, and the switch because of the speed. The reason that that hapenned was becasue these are two key moments that I generally misdirect at. Generally using my patter. Not talking for the video really messed up the misdirection and such, so I really got caught during those two sequences...I compeltely agree with you there.

Thanks for the advice,
Lucas

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
dude. did you make that up because if you did you need to submit it into E or something because you blew my mind right there. WOW!!!

Lol he just said it was Chad Long's "Another Rumour"

Anyway it was done fairly well.
I'm not so happy about the sloppyness when doing mech-rev and your shift.
Also the slight speed up when you execute your packet switch, it's like a twitch.
Sorry i'm being a bit of a stickler for detail but you really did a good job.
Keep it up!

Mar 29, 2008
Lucas -

First let me commend you on crediting properly, and many of your moves were decent. This style of magic is not meant for the unblinking eye of the camera - and often, taping and placing this on Youtube is as bad as exposure. Please think of that.

As for what would have flashed in real world - I think that Amane was being kind - you start off by producing the 4 of a kind in a real flashy way...denoting skills. Fine, but then you want people to believe what you do is magic. Oh well, another discussion - another time perhaps.

Here is the real issue with technique. You take the time to do all these flourishes - but then do a confusing displacment to get the card in 3rd? How about doing a Jordan count like the method indicates? A far more natural display. You made it look like you were hiding something...oh wait you were...a reversed card.

Speaking of the reversal - ouch, very sloppy - the timing was off and considering you have all the elements to make it perfect...as you can record it again and again....I am surprise this was your final take....as it wasn't your only flaw.

Your packet switch was sloppy as well - it was too fast and messy. Your timing was off as you tabled the card and then picked them all up to do the switch...it should look as you just peel the top card off the packet and toss the rest down.

It's a cool effect - but your "text" patter also lacked in any emotional hook or logic for what occured to happen. "Want to know how it's done - a trick jack - WTF" Verbal diarrhea. Magic for the sake of magic - nice work Gob Bluth.

For the most part - you can tell you have some technical skill - now develop your critical thinking skills about your magic. Sorry if I came off strong, so many Youtube posts that suck...yours was not the worst - but with your skill level, it should have been better.

Cheers

Sep 1, 2007
The patter was actually just me trying to remember Chad Long's patter. I figured that if I wasnt going to actually do the patter, I may as well use his own. He says something along those lines...I think it was "it's a magic jack" rather.

The ace production isn't something I gnereally do in real life. I actually hate ace productions to be honest, but I figured I may as well throw one in there for the camera. And to be honest, I dont generally go for the whole "this is actually magic" type of thing. I personally think that attempting to pull something like that off with card magic is just stupid...but like you said, that's a whole other discussion.

As I stated abovie, I know that the reversal and the switch were bad, but one of the things that Ive always thought is to film as if it were a one time thing. Sadly enough, this was my second take because I completely botched the one handed pass in the first one. I generally try and shoot all my videos on first try though, just as a matter of principles.

Despite the fact that it may seem like I'm arguing, I do completely agree with all your points, I just feel like I should explain them.

Thanks for the comment though,
Lucas

Mar 29, 2008
Cool - because we are clarifying though - I didn't mean to suggest to make it appear as if you have real magic powers - however, what was meant was to leave them with no out - so they come to the conclusion it was magic. Just like movies are just actors - but we wouldn't want someone to remind us that mid-story. If you want people to suspend their disbelief, and they do - I find it best not to insult them by reminding them it's "just a trick" - even though I would never claim otherwise and don't allude to the fact that I have real magic powers - as I find that childish and insulting.

All I can say to your response is this Lucas - I would do it as you show it - then film it until it looks like it should for lay audiences. Scratch that - do it once for yourself from the angle people will see it - do people stand at the angle of the camera? What are you learning? Are you trying to show off? No - then why add the extra that you don't do for "real world" performers? I am not sure Lucas...you sort of contradicted yourself in your response - I understand where you are coming from - but it didn't seem like explaining...but excuses. So, you stole patter - hmm, perhaps not the best idea - as you are not Chad Long (read this months Magic Mag). You said you only do things once...but then admit to filming it twice...then why not again with those big flashes?

What was your purpose for posting? Just curious?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results