Anthony Owen's Ultimate Oil and Water

I have a video of myself performing Anthony's original Oil and Water routine from under a glass table. It was for a charity telethon years ago when I was still in high school. I wonder if I can find it and upload it somehow...

...Anyone know how to convert VHS cassettes to digital?

RS.

Anthony, is there a under the glass table version on your dvd?

While there are several different handlings on the DVD, a glass table one is not included.

By the way you might be interested to know that I created the glass table version with Alistair Cook for him to perform on the 2002 UK television show Monkey Magic. (A series which I also produced and co-created.) At present that handling is unreleased, although I hope to include it in my upcoming book.

Last edited by a moderator:

LukeDancy

theory11 artist + consultant, Criss Angel MindFrea
Sep 18, 2007
Las Vegas
All I have to say is that if you haven't checked out any of Anthony's material before you should be jumping on it. This creative mofo is the force behind most of the magic that airs on the "tely" in the UK. His magic is the kind of stuff I think you guys would just love. This Oil and Water is the perfect example of what he is capable of.

l u k e

While there are several different handlings on the DVD, a glass table one is not included.

By the way you might be interested to know that I created the glass table version with Alistair Cook for him to perform on the 2002 UK television show Monkey Magic. (A series which I also produced and co-created.) At present that handling is unreleased, although I hope to include it in my upcoming book.

For clarification's sake, the performance I did years ago wasn't strictly Anthony's. In fact, I wasn't even fully aware of the routine's televised performance on Monkey Magic. In Anthony's book, Some Tricks, he mentions how he developed an under-the-table handling based off the same concept used in the performance above. I thought it was a very unique idea, and found that the last phase of the routine (Sebastien Korta's Lava Lamp) COULD be shot from under a table with the cards face-down. It looks just as impressive from above as it does from below. So, I combined a few Oil and Water phases from Ben Harris, Roy Walton, and Ed Marlo, where the colors separated on the table as well as in people's hands-- and I ended the three-phase routine with the last separation from Anthony's published effect. It was for a public-access telethon for heart disease in the Pocono region of the US. I had one of the cameras shoot the last phase from under the table just to build upon the routine and give (any?) viewers at home some eye-candy. I don't believe many people watch public access television, but it played very well regardless.

If Anthony Owen started a cult, I would join. He does put out some awesome work...

EDIT: So I just re-read Some Tricks and the get-ready for the last phase is slightly different from what I currently do. Weird, I wonder where I picked it up. (?) In any case, once the cards are properly set-up, Lava Lamp may be performed and viewed from under a glass table... should you ever be given the odd venue where people are seated at such extreme angles... Ha.

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have to say is that if you haven't checked out any of Anthony's material before you should be jumping on it. This creative mofo is the force behind most of the magic that airs on the "tely" in the UK. His magic is the kind of stuff I think you guys would just love. This Oil and Water is the perfect example of what he is capable of.

Thanks Luke!

And Romeo I look forward with anticipation to seeing your handling!

Best,

a

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results