Are all dover magic books useful for beginners?

Feb 17, 2018
Meh, Vernon and Marlo got the book at a young age and they revolutionized card magic. It was one of the first books I ever bought and I can't say I'm worse off for having it.

If you want beginner magic look at the Encylcopedia of Card Magic, or the Royal Road, the Expert at the Card Table is more of the Long and Winding Road to Card Magic. Taking the long and winding road may be beneficial to your card magic.

I've drank the punch though and I do not believe that there is a good replacement for the Expert at the Card Table. A good portion of the techniques described in the book are not widely used and are still very good. The Erdnase break for example is how I believe all

Dover reprints a bunch of classics, there's only a few that are good for beginners. There are a bunch of good Dover reprints for intermediate magicians and advanced. Expert Card Technique has been mentioned, The Card Magic of Paul LePaul, and all of Karl Fulves books are good (beginner to intermediate). Martin Gardner's books are full of gems but they are tough to read sometimes, almost all of Martin Gardner's magic is easy to do. All Hugard and Braue books are good, beginner to advanced, you will get some repeats between books but they are all good. Theodore Anneman has tons of wonderful work, lots is easy, some is tough. Charles Jordan has some great mathematical magic as well.

There are more modern books as well, but this is a huge library of magic as it is.

I have 9 books at the moment, I'm looking through to learn some simple but effective tricks for now as i only have a couple weeks before my brothers wedding.

But at the moment i currently have;

Encyclopedia of card tricks

Modern coin magic

Card manipulations

Street magic by Paul zenon

Expert card technique

The Royal road to card magic

Self working card tricks and self working close up card magic

And finally I have the complete course in magic.

Way more books than I need i know, i guess only a couple would be ok but having more than one it will help me with different ideas / interpretations of certain tricks i hope which can only help me. If you have any suggestions for a particular trick in any of the above books you would like to suggest then please do.

I am still a beginner and any help or suggestions i can get will always be appreciated.

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
A Book of Magic for Young Magicians: The Secrets of Alkazar (Dover Magic Books) Paperback – June 1, 1992
by Allan Zola Kronzek

It's a "kid's" book, sure. But it's also pretty much the best kid's book ever.

Teaches effects, and not just effects... but the principals behind the effects.

The book's a bit of a secret, it seems. Not many folks appear to know about it.

But it's absolutely wonderful, and one of my all-time favorite magic books.

Can't recommend it enough.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results