Are you a magician?

May 30, 2010
Australia
Hi guys, I just wanna share my experience in magic. In my opinion, this is kinda hilarious.

I was in this private resort with my friends and it was already dark, nevertheless there were still customers in some of the cottages. I saw two girls in one cottage, and I had already done magic to them (some card tricks) earlier, they reacted pretty well with my first round.

I saw that they seem to be having fun, so I said to myself "Lets do round two." I approached them again and asked them if I can show them more magic. They were very inviting even after seeing me perform earlier, so I made sure I was going to show them some hard hitting effects. I couldn't show them my Ambitious Card Routine since I had already done it during my first performance.

So I busted my remaining effects.I did Crazy Man's Handcuffs, and the girl I performed to, screamed and asked what happened?How did my band pass through her band? I followed it up with Void. I performed only 2 Phases, which was more than enough for them to start jumping. I decided two was enough seeing that the reactions were at their peak and they had seen more of me during that time.

After I let them examined the bill and the straw, I heard one of the girls ask me. "Wow, how did you do all that? Are you a magician?"I like froze for a moment...Say what?...Didn't I say that fact earlier when I performed here moments ago?I smiled and said yes...Either my effects hit them hard enough for them to forget the last hour, or I dress and act like a non-magical being.Hahaha...

For me its hilarious...i fried them with my magic and they don't even know I'm a magician? Well, regardless of that, my style and presence in a party is of a regular non-magical dude, or a layperson style.Well, of course I dress appropriately but I never overdress, I can't over dress with the limited wardrobe I have anyway.Hahaha...And when I start to perform for groups, it adds to the kick that catches everyone off guard. How could a dude like this is capable of stuff like this?...This particular experience though takes that kick to a whole new level, to the point where they really never see me as a magician, but as someone who does miracles from nothing...

Sep 9, 2010
Hahaha, nice story! title made me laugh because sunday i asked the childrens director at my church if he needed a magician at our fall festival, he goes "you want to be a magician?" i just looked at my friend and laughed!XD

Sep 1, 2007
I think you need to really listen to your audience and understand what they're telling you here: Until that point, you had never performed magic for them. I will go ahead and say that you need to re-evalute your performances and look a lot more at the presentation of your effects rather than just what effects youre doing.

Your audience is telling you you dont do magic; you do tricks. And theres a big difference here.

Think about it.

Cheers,
Lucas

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
I think you need to really listen to your audience and understand what they're telling you here: Until that point, you had never performed magic for them. I will go ahead and say that you need to re-evalute your performances and look a lot more at the presentation of your effects rather than just what effects youre doing.

Your audience is telling you you dont do magic; you do tricks. And theres a big difference here.

Think about it.

Cheers,
Lucas

I will have to agree with that. It sounds like that they reacted well to the tricks (which is terrific) but they didn't connect with you as a person.

Now of course we weren't there, but the question is, after the 1st or 2nd performance, did they like you enough to ask you to hang out with them during the rest of the vacation or that very night? Did they make plans to hang out with you again or did you simply have nothing to talk about after the tricks and walked away?

My guess is that you thanked them and walked away....acting as if they did you a favor by seeing your tricks instead of them feeling that they were the lucky ones.

Nov 8, 2007
Hahaha, nice story! title made me laugh because sunday i asked the childrens director at my church if he needed a magician at our fall festival, he goes "you want to be a magician?" i just looked at my friend and laughed!XD

Not sure if condescendingly laughing in the face of a potential client with your friend is the right approach to getting the gig.

...Either my effects hit them hard enough for them to forget the last hour, or I dress and act like a non-magical being... This particular experience though takes that kick to a whole new level, to the point where they really never see me as a magician, but as someone who does miracles from nothing...
Let's look at the situation: either "your magic was so powerful they forgot everything from the last hour," or "you dress and act like a non-magical being." I think Lucas had it right--you may want to re-evaluate your performance. I think the latter is more probable than the former. It seems to me if their reaction after two sets of magic was to feel the need to ask if you were a magician that they are most likely not seeing you as "someone who does miracles from nothing," but more as a fellow layman who knows a few cool tricks.

Consider Eugene Burger--before he even does an effect you feel that you are in the presence of a real-life wizard. Yet he isn't dressed in coat tails and a top hat, or anything fancy at all--it's all in his demeanor, his voice, his mannerisms, the way he commands your attention, etc. No one would ever feel the need to ask Eugene Burger, after he had done a few effects, if he was a magician. There would be no need--everyone would know it after just the first effect. The only question anyone would be asking is where they can see him perform and if he's available for their upcoming party.

There's a lot to be said for being able to create a real sense of mystery through a performance. In fact, it may very well be the key to your audience leaving with the experience that they just had an unforgettable meeting with a real-life wizard as opposed to an amusing run-in with a fellow layman who did a few cool tricks.

Aug 4, 2010
A magician is a guy in a penguin suit wearing a top hat and a cape...Also a magic wand.....So no I am not a magician....I am an elite prestidigitator....

Sep 9, 2010
Not sure if condescendingly laughing in the face of a potential client with your friend is the right approach to getting the gig.

Let's look at the situation: either "your magic was so powerful they forgot everything from the last hour," or "you dress and act like a non-magical being." I think Lucas had it right--you may want to re-evaluate your performance. I think the latter is more probable than the former. It seems to me if their reaction after two sets of magic was to feel the need to ask if you were a magician that they are most likely not seeing you as "someone who does miracles from nothing," but more as a fellow layman who knows a few cool tricks.

Consider Eugene Burger--before he even does an effect you feel that you are in the presence of a real-life wizard. Yet he isn't dressed in coat tails and a top hat, or anything fancy at all--it's all in his demeanor, his voice, his mannerisms, the way he commands your attention, etc. No one would ever feel the need to ask Eugene Burger, after he had done a few effects, if he was a magician. There would be no need--everyone would know it after just the first effect. The only question anyone would be asking is where they can see him perform and if he's available for their upcoming party.

There's a lot to be said for being able to create a real sense of mystery through a performance. In fact, it may very well be the key to your audience leaving with the experience that they just had an unforgettable meeting with a real-life wizard as opposed to an amusing run-in with a fellow layman who did a few cool tricks.

i was just volunteering. not a big deal to me, and he is the childrens director, and i made sure he knew i was kidding..:)

Oct 25, 2010
Thats a fun story. Sounds like you all had a good time. In line with the other comments, it sounds like maybe you need to decide on how you would like to be seen by your audience and then experiment with effects that help bolster that image. I've had to scrap a lot of effects and evolve a handful as well. After a lot of trial and error i wasn't getting the reactions i wanted even though i knew the effects to be hard hitters (i would perform well and recieve excited reactions but it still wasn't the type of reaction i wanted). So even if it's a really good trick, if it doesn't work well with your personality, some changes should be made. Then again, if it's all working out how you'd like and you're having fun, keep with it!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results