Are you dark... or just a punk?

Sep 1, 2007
Steerpike. I didn't read it here because the same one is on E. please go there and read the post by magicfreak753 it goes into much more detail.

I know this is really off topic but I read your signature and I think you mean to say the quote was by General Patton. Not Patent. I could be wrong though.

Awesome essay Steerpike. I've read it all but I'm going to wait to say what I think until I've given it some more thought. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. Keep up the great work.

May 5, 2008
Steerpike thats a REALLY LONG Thread.. why not going to the point? in less then 10 lines

For crying out loud! READ it. It's not that long compared to a comic book or magazine article. But I guess it is long compared to a street sign or a quick tongue-n-cheek comment without any substance. Bunch of ADD rittled, over stimulated, trend desperate AGGHHHH... look see what you did, I can't even finish. My brain just exploded. If you don't want to read it, FINE... don't comment about it. GEEZ. It's too long? are you kidding me? If he wrote a book and put trendy B/W pictures in it, you would all be clamoring over it. Steerpike... heres your working title for the book "Dark vs. Punky Busters". My peeps from the 80's will get that reference.

###lazydog

Sep 1, 2007
If he wrote a book and put trendy B/W pictures in it, you would all be clamoring over it. Steerpike... heres your working title for the book "Dark vs. Punky Busters". My peeps from the 80's will get that reference.

The sad thing is, you're probably right.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Guys,

I removed the discussion from this page, it was very disrespectful and not necessary. If you do not like Steerpike's, or anyone else's statements, respectfully disagree with that person, but the way in which this was handled was simply unacceptable.

TDA

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Guys,

I removed the discussion from this page, it was very disrespectful and not necessary. If you do not like Steerpike's, or anyone else's statements, respectfully disagree with that person, but the way in which this was handled was simply unacceptable.

TDA

This is the problem in this world stop silencing and start listening TDA. Because outside of this little forum youre just the same as everyone else. You were given 2 ears and 1 mouth use them in that order.

Sep 1, 2007
Moving on, here's a small reading list.

Capricornian Tales by Christian Chelman: One of the must-haves of bizarre magic. Provides a great insight into the world of the strange, while also showing how character affects a performance.

The Book of Haunted Magick by Rick Maue: If you don't know who Rick is, you're missing out. This particular book of his contains numerous effects in magic and mentalism such as the infamous Terasabos and several essays on performance theory.

The Garden of the Strange by Caleb Strange: For more intermediate magicians, this is a great source of inspiration and gives a perfect look into magic as theater.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Very good essay, Steerpike. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you had to say because it's the truth.

I had the displeasure in seeing someone who I suppose was a year younger than I "try" and pull off "creepy." To cut a long story short, not one person on the street (this took place in the city) were impressed and just walked off half way through it. I stayed back and asked him what he was thinking to which he replied "Dude, just 'cause you can't be as cool and dark as me!"

Pathetic, really.

Sep 1, 2007
Well maybe you shouldn't bother at all if you can't take other people's comments.

It's not that I can't take other's comments. It's that your comment had no value or relevance, and was just hollow feel-good rhetoric. You shouldn't have even posted in the thread because you said yourself that you didn't read the article.

If you can't show enough respect to read a discussion in its entirety, then don't be rude by shoving your proverbial nose in it. You either show a modicum of respect by reading what other people have to say, or you don't.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Interesting read Steerpike, I always enjoy them. Not trying to sum up yours but for me, I think spooky draws mystery and curiosity while creepiness draws more of a disturbed atmosphere.

Watch some John Waters movies to understand bad taste in cinema and how to effectively use it. David Lynch is another good choice. Dario Argento as well. The point is that taste may be subjective to an extent, but there are always lines to be crossed and others that should not be crossed.

Speaking of darkness and bad taste in cinema. In your example you missed the king of this, the one, and only Ed Wood who often toyed with darkness and always bad taste. Ha.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Speaking of darkness and bad taste in cinema. In your example you missed the king of this, the one, and only Ed Wood who often toyed with darkness and always bad taste. Ha.

Awwww... I love Ed Wood's films. I don't think his films fall into the "creepy" catagory, just the "very bad" catagory... :D

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Awwww... I love Ed Wood's films. I don't think his films fall into the "creepy" catagory, just the "very bad" catagory... :D

No, I didnt say they were creepy but they centered around a darkness tone which is in the realm of the subject of Steerpikes essay. And yes I agree and concur about the "very bad" catagory.

He didnt make a single great film and embarrassed Bela Lugosi and his family again and again(another essay perhaps), but he had a great many fans which in turn relates to this essay in many ways.

Sep 1, 2007
Ed Wood doesn't really fit the definition of bad taste. Low quality, yes. Bad taste, hardly.

John Waters made his career exploiting bad taste and using it as a mirror for the values of the time. In his own words, "Whenever somebody throws up at one of my movies, I consider it a standing ovation."

Yet despite the level of disturbing or gross-out content in his movies, critics almost unanimously agree that John has his finger on the pulse of modern society.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
"You shouldn't have even posted in the thread because you said yourself that you didn't read the article."

Maybe you should get your facts right before getting annoyed. I never said any of that and i did read the full article which, as much as i don't want to compliment, was a good read.

It's an internet forum, just relax.

Sep 1, 2007
It's an internet forum, just relax.

Just because it's the internet does not give you or anyone else a license to act like a fool.

If you were having a conversation and some kid butted in with some vapid feel-good rhetoric that had nothing to do with anything, you'd be annoyed too. The fact that it's cyberspace changes nothing.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I most certainly wouldn't keep going on about it.

You obviously feel the need to make sure everyone who posts anything has to be educated by you.

And once more...calm down and enjoy yourself rather than argue.

Sep 1, 2007
You obviously feel the need to make sure everyone who posts anything has to be educated by you.

No. Just you. But I have a personal aversion for people spouting hollow cliches that would fit in an 80's pop ballad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results