Art of Magic by Wayne Houchin - My review

Sep 1, 2007
Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYvWQ4hNPmY
Another snippet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FMxMMKocs
And yet another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH-O6Qoeqqw

Price: $35

Buy it: (on Wayne's site or E, dunno if worldwide release is scheduled)

Since I'm clinically addicted to Reel Magic's interviews, and the very funny review spot with David Regal on such, Wayne's new project intrigued me greatly. Here we had not only Regal but Dan and Dave, Aaron Fisher and Wayne himself discussing fun topics along with memories of how magic touched their lives. Stir in 2 hours of Wayne's usual hard hitting tricks, Dana Hocking's music and movie-quality post production effects, and this was sure to be another home run.

Enter Art of Magic ...

What you get:

- Instant download: Part 1 and 2 MOV files, approximately 1 gig zipped
- Or DVD if you went that route

A huge thanks and one-kneed worship bow to Wayne for providing the instant download for my review.

The DVD:

The DVD is split into Part 1 and 2. Part 1 consists of effects intermixed with interview snippets lasting about 2-8 minutes that contain Regal, D&D, Fisher or Wayne discussing a single topic for a short period of time. You can see the interview style here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FMxMMKocs

I liked the style, considering you received various opinions about a topic in a short burst, and it was placed between effects to break the monotony of performance after performance in the same setting. Although everyone has their favorite magician, I thought Aaron Fisher stole the show with his charm and charisma literally reaching out through the television screen.

The production value is normal Wayne Houchin. Easy to watch, very clear, exceptional sound quality, good transitions between segments along with black and white video, and some reversed video mixed in. His attention to detail to production is as always, exceptional.

Contents of PART UNO (57 mins):

(interview snippets) How they got into magic (5 mins)

French Kiss Performance (4 mins)

You ask someone to sign a playing card - the card is then folded up and placed in your spectator’s mouth. You take and sign another card - which you then fold up and place in your mouth. Impossibly, the 2 folded up cards switch places. Your signed signed card is in the spectator’s mouth and her card is in yours. Simple and powerful.

Card transposition with an interesting twist. Spectator selects, signs a card and bites on it, then magician does the same. While cards are in their mouth, they change places. Like a slobbery Ultimate Transpo, this provides a fun interaction with a girl (or another man, not that there's anything wrong with that) as you hold both of her hands and lean forward a little.

During the performance, Wayne leans forward a little and the girls lean towards him as a simulated kiss takes place. Sans the one girl with the hulky boyfriend attached, who would have probably tossed him off a side of a moving Catamaran if given the chance. I actually remember this trick appearing on Wayne's site a while back, and some discussion on various boards about it. Little did I know this video first appeared as a hidden Easter egg on Wayne's Indecent DVD.

Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HfWyW49-v4

Well, the bulging breasted blond in that video doesn't lean forward but they actually do on the DVD I swear. At any rate, this trick can be performed in a variety of ways. Have the spectator name a card then sign, or select a random one from the deck, or even just scribble the top card, pluck it off and grip down like a dental x-ray.

You get multiple performances of this very simple and hard hitting trick varying from the beach to the bar, with of course a license to flirt.

Difficulty: Easy assuming you already know the sleight. If not, he explains it quite well.
Angles: Wayne states that your close-up immediate left may be an issue, but shows how to resolve that
Setup: 2 seconds of private time
Overall: Cool, fun effect using a standard deck. I'm definitely doing this.

CONS: Some will compare to Ultimate Transpo (or any transpo for that matter), but I liked the deeper connection with a spectator in this. Goes down smoother than tapping the back of their hand with a card, saying "Lookie what's in YOUR hand!". That said, it's still a transpo with a slight twist.

(interview snippets) How magic is presented interviews (2 mins)

Ring + String Performance (3 mins)

A ring is placed inside a 1 inch coin envelope (hello Staples.com), the outline of which can clearly be seen to all spectators. A string is then licked and inserted through a hole at the opposite end inside the spectator's hand. Finally, the magician yanks hard on the string, splitting open the small envelope to reveal it's attached now to the ring at the opposite end. Everything can be examined.

I did think Wayne used the multiple cameras and popularity to make these hot girls in all demos lick, wipe, suck, touch or just about do everything possible. Which makes Wayne my ultimate hero.

As a side note, I did search for envelope flavored popsicles and Google returned nothing. Nor with envelope glue flavored popsicles. Maybe they sell them overseas, or it's a new Ben and Jerry's recipe.

Difficulty: Easy
Angles: Surrounded, naked
Setup: Requires an envelope with a hole punched through it
Overall: Best audience reaction of the DVD. One girl even says she'll think about it for the next month.

CONS: No idea, I'm open to suggestions

(interview snippets) Magic happening to someone interviews (2 mins)

Carbon Paper Performance (6 mins)

An incredibly powerful effect contributed to AOM by Jay Sankey. The back of a playing card is burned - your spectator FEELS the burn from that card travel through their hand and end up on a signed card that has been between their hands for the entire effect... leaving the originally burnt card completely unharmed. Performed and taught by Wayne Houchin.

Jay Sankey donated this effect, fresh from his Sankey's Secret Files DVD set, Vol 1.

Appearing here at 01:03: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DScTC-ovLt4

And also on Sankey's Best Street Magic here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNzmWahhUs

And yet again on Sankey's Greatest Hits (3 DVD Set), Vol 1.

Oh that crazy Sankey. Anyhoo, spectator selects a card from the deck, signs the face and cups it into their hand. Magician chooses a card of his own, produces a lighter and allows another spectator to scorch the back of his card. After rubbing the burnt card on the original spectator's hand they feel it cool off, finally to see the burn mark vanish and appear on the signed card that's been sitting in their hands for the entire effect.

Note that the initial performance includes two spectators selecting different cards before the effect begins, that I didn't see again in the refresher performance inside the explanation section. So I'm not sure what was happening there, or why?

Setup: Requires a pre-made card. Instantly resets.
Overall: Transpo with flames, how can you possibly go wrong?

CONS: Sankey's Carbon Paper is back for a fouth round. Like the cockroach in the kitchen you just can't find. Ok, all kidding aside it is good, however it's rapidly surpassing Paperclipped for the most appearances at the Prom.

(interview snippets) Magic inside the spectator's mind (3 mins)
(interview snippets) Magic Castle history (6 mins)

Ring and String Parlor version (10 mins)

WORTH DOUBLE THE PRICE OF THE DVD. Ok now that's off my chest (whew), Wayne appears inside the Magic Castle to perform a variation of Ring + String where the spectator wears a black rope around her neck. He attaches a large paperclip containing the small envelope you're already familiar with, then borrows a ring. After breaking out a bow and arrow, recounting days gone by about his childhood memories of archery fascinations, Wayne finally reveals the ring is attached to the rope the spectator has been wearing.

Although not explained, you get the general idea. Amazing use of props, fun stories, tension, uncertainty and expertly used misdirection to create a kicker ending everybody will remember. Wayne's stage presence and charisma brightly glow throughout. My absolute favorite effect off this DVD.

CONS: None. This is perfection wrapped in a sparkling red bow.

(interview snippets) Dai Vernon discussion interviews (2 mins)

Twisting the Aces Performance (3 mins)

Wayne Houchin's handling of Dai Vernon's classic effect. The four aces magically turn face up one at a time. Clean, beautiful, and amazing.

Wayne's back with the hot chicks at the club to perform his version of Dai Vernon's Twisting the Aces (Inner Card Trilogy or More Inner Secrets of Card Magic). Four ungimmicked aces are shown face down. One by one each turns over, even after all four cards have been shown to be face down in every phase.

Difficulty: Easy. If you don't already know the sleight, it's explained very thoroughly
Setup: N/A, impromptu using a regular deck
Overall: A timeless classic, very well done

CONS: None.

Match Bite Performance (2 mins)

A match is lit, held high then extinguished on the magician's tongue. While it's in his mouth, he takes this opportunity to bite the burned head off the match and chew on it, finally spitting it back onto the other half to create a completely restored (but still burned) match.

Sep 1, 2007
Before I go into the effect, I must compliment Wayne on his ability to simulate a very chest-heavy loogie spitting sound. Much to the chagrin of my poor cat, I attempted this for a healthy five minutes and failed to achieve his level of mastery. At any rate, the reaction to sticking a lit match onto his tongue was priceless, followed by his disgusted expression as he chewed on the burnt match head. Spectator's even hear a SIZZLE when it hits your tongue as a bonus.

Keep in mind you can combine this with other matchbook effects, such as Alex Pandrea's "Local" from his AM/PM DVD. A full matchbook is displayed, then a single one is removed and lit, stuck onto the magician's tongue, bit off, restored then waved over the matchbook to reveal all matches inside the book are now burned.

Or something. Maybe not.

And yes it's Similar to Sankey's Shaft, but significantly upgraded. Ok for Shaft, there's no way you're biting through plastic that thick without a huge sound (or a tooth filling popping out into the spectator's eye) so it was just unbelievable for me. Plus if you actually bit it off, it would most likely be with hand guard still there, but the hand guard is gone. And lastly, it's not a reusable prop. I think Wayne's Match Bite solves all these issues, especially the bite mark left after you do actually chew off a hunk of wooden match. Then immediately go into your favorite other matchbook effect.

Setup: N/A, impromptu using a wooden of paper match
Overall: Very fun, quick and impromptu cute effect

(interview snippets) Street magic interviews (8 mins)

Candy Machine Performance (2 mins)

A corner is ripped from a spectator's borrowed bill, then it's inserted into a candy machine to buy some Skittles. Spectator opens the Skittles package to find the matching dollar to the ripped corner sealed inside.

I'm unsure of what legal or copyright issues Wayne ran into, but no explanation was included for this. A brief Google search revealed "The Plot Thickens" book by Oliver Meech which is reviewed here:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/188218

and has a description:

Free Money in Every Pack: The performer borrows a coin and writes the date on it. He inserts the coin into a vending machine and buys a candy bar. He removes the candy bar from the machine and immediately hands it to a participant. The participant opens the candy bar and discovers the marked coin inside the wrapper.

Obviously I don't know if the methods are the same since I don't own the book, nor did I see an explanation for "Candy Machine" but they seem fairly similar in description.

(interview snippets) Getting better at magic (4 mins)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Contents of PART DOS (One hour, 3 mins):

The interviews stop at PART ONE, replaced here by a very cool idea for explanations. To remind you of exactly what happened during the many performances, Wayne shows a quick refresher performance, then hands you a full description including any necessary sleights required, and finally a last performance with voice overs to assist combining what you learned with what he had already shown. Awesome idea!

In addition, all these effects are fairly easy to perform. Required sleights are not assumed, but instead fully worked out piece by piece for any amateur magicians.

French Kiss Explanation

Wayne films in what looks like a warehouse, and explains the sleight required along with his personal version he uses, and then the workings of this effect. Very straightforward, easy to perform miracle since most people already know the move involved. He also covers angle issues and how to resolve, along with the variations I mentioned before (having them select a card vs just using the top card). Could also work in a loud club or bar setting, since properly done, requires little to no patter.

Refresher performance (3 mins)
Actual Explanation (10 mins)
Another performance with voice over (3 mins)

Match Bite Explanation

Wayne appears deep in the woods, cuddling lovingly with nature at probably the same location where Heather Donahue cried into the camera beneath her tent in the The Blair Witch Project movie. And don't ask if he ran into Paul Harris out there, cause you just never know.

As stated in the performance section, probably the quickest and easiest trick to get up and running on. Wayne does use fairly long matches that are bit better than the stubby ones available at my local grocery store, so I may shop around for better suited lengths. Short is not necessarily impossible, but having a very defined separation between the burned top and still shiny wooden bottom inside the fingers seems ideal. Or maybe my girlfriend was right, and size doesn't matter.

Another one for a loud-as-hell bar or club, where the band's speakers are located 2 inches from your face and patter becomes impossible unless you're fond of sticking your mouth in the spectator's ear and screaming top-of-lungs style. Or possibly a transition to Fire Trap or Water Trap effects that introduce a matchbook after your match has been restored.

Actual Explanation (6 mins)

Twisting the Aces

Wayne's version of the classic (sans twist), using the same core move as the original and regular aces from a deck. I do like his reveals which vary during each phase. The first begins standard in-the-hands, then migrates onto spreading your fingers and letting the cards separate. Then back and finally falling into the spectator's open palm. Inventive and fun addition.

Although slightly more complex than the other effects on this DVD, he goes over all the details step by step very clearly, then repeats it several times to ensure you got the hang of it.

Actual Explanation (8 mins)

Carbon Paper Explanation (contributed by Jay Sankey)

Back to the warehouse for a brief run-through of this very easy effect. Prep time is almost nothing, and once your gimmick is ready, it can be re-used indefinitely by design (gimmick signed is given away, swapped out for next gimmick). And of course the best part is you're in a position for instant reset. Perfect for walk around.

Ring + String Explanation

To prepare for this, you'll need some envelopes and a cheapo hole puncher. Both easily obtainable from Staples if you're within the USA:

Staples #1, 2-1/4" x 3-1/2" Brown Kraft Coin Envelopes with Gummed Closure, 500/Box
$14.99

Fifteen dollars for 500 performances is more than reasonable, plus of course a $3 hand-held hole punch. Wayne reviews where to punch the hole, the "special move" that is remarkably simple along with angles required. I love how this envelope can be sitting in the spectator's hand during the string threading portion, yet they see nothing substantial.

Setup (3 mins)

Magazine Version

If you're so inclined, you can also purchase the June 2009 Genii magazine that contains Twisting The Aces, Wh Ring+String Mystery, And Match Bite on pages 61 to 71 with a ton of pictures.

View more information here: http://www.geniimagazine.com/back_issues/2009/06/index.html

Conclusion:

Five strong close-up effects that are easy to perform, simple in their design yet provide a kick. Add a large variety of interview snippets from popular magicians and you have another winner from W:H.

The official spam:

Wayne Houchin’s Art of Magic is a groundbreaking instructional DVD on classic and contemporary magic tricks. This 120 minute - performance and instructional DVD features a unique look at the current state of magic. Including interviews with David Regal, Aaron Fisher, Dan and Dave Buck and (of course) Wayne Houchin. The interviews are combined with live performance footage of WH performing both on the street and at The Magic Castle - from South Beach, Miami to Hollywood, California.

WHAT'S ON THE DVD?

- A 60 minute documentary on the Art of Magic featuring David Regal, Aaron Fisher, Dan & Dave, and WH.

- An in-depth 60 minute teaching session during which Wayne Houchin explains how to perform 5 of the effects that were featured in the documentary. You will learn:

TWISTING THE ACES - Wayne Houchin's handling of Dai Vernon's classic effect. The four aces magically turn face up one at a time.

FRENCH KISS - You ask someone to sign a playing card - the card is then folded up and placed in your spectator’s mouth. You take and sign another card - which you then fold up and place in your mouth. Impossibly, the 2 folded up cards switch places. Your signed signed card is in the spectator’s mouth and her card is in yours. Simple and powerful.

WH RING+STRING MYSTERY - A piece of string visually penetrates through a borrowed ring. New, unique, practical, and FUN.

MATCH BITE - A lit match is extinguished on your tongue. The magician then bites off the burnt end, chews it up, and spits it back onto the match. Impromptu and uses only one match.

CARBON PAPER - An incredibly powerful effect contributed to AOM by Jay Sankey. The back of a playing card is burned - your spectator FEELS the burn from that card travel through their hand and end up on a signed card that has been between their hands for the entire effect... leaving the originally burnt card completely unharmed. Performed and taught by Wayne Houchin.

Jul 29, 2008
Is this the same akirafist that makes those HILARIOUS yet very INFORMATIONAL reviews of DVDs? If so, do you plan to make one for this DVD, Art of Magic?

Oct 29, 2007
Dude, epic review. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I planned on buying this this weekend, and you have just solidified my decision.

Keep it up!

Card transposition with an interesting twist. Spectator selects, signs a card and bites on it, then magician does the same. While cards are in their mouth, they change places. Like a slobbery Ultimate Transpo, this provides a fun interaction with a girl (or another man, not that there's anything wrong with that) as you hold both of her hands and lean forward a little.

ahaha seinfeld rul3z D00d:D

May 4, 2009
This DVD probably has about the best teaching, most professional video quality and editing, and best live performances of the tricks of anything I have seen. Plus there are a ton of smoking hot chicks, which make it that much more enjoyable to watch. This DVD set the bar pretty high.

French Kiss is my favorite trick.

Plus Wayne does the best job of teaching double lifts I have ever seen. I've gotten much better at doing a double lift in the past three days since watching Wayne's tips.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results