Awesome application for Angle Zero

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks, and here is what I got...

You start off at a table setting. You make sure you have a pepper, or salt shaker near you. You start performing Angle Zero, and cause the corner to disappear, and appear in what ever you had in front of you. But as your vanishing it, use an M5, to move the object in front of you to create the effect of you taking the corner and throw in side of the object.

The idea came to me from one of the newer episodes of Mindfreak, where Criss took a borrowed ring, caused it to disapear, he was then acting as if it were invisible, and he threw it at a salt shaker, and the salt shaker moved forward, and fell over. Then inside of the shaker, was the borrowed ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
That is a very nice application, the reason being that the audience can actually see the moment that the corner appears. That is so rare even more so in card magic, for example in an ACR the card instantly appears at the top and the audience has to take it at face value whereas an effect like fallen the audience can see what is happening.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
This is great, but why not make a video? I really don't see the point in sharing it. Go out and perform and use this application for yourself. After all, you thought of the idea.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
This is great, but why not make a video? I really don't see the point in sharing it. Go out and perform and use this application for yourself. After all, you thought of the idea.

how can you NOT see the point in sharing it? The original poster came up with an idea that most of us wouldnt have thought about. I dont see the point in asking him to put a video up. He was after all, just sharing an idea with us.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
how can you NOT see the point in sharing it? The original poster came up with an idea that most of us wouldnt have thought about. I dont see the point in asking him to put a video up. He was after all, just sharing an idea with us.
But at the end of the day, why can't we all create our own ideas? Let him use his idea for himself and come up with an equally awesome one for yourself. I could just spew untested, non-practical ideas all day (not saying his idea is that) but what good really comes out of that? Magic is about performing, not brainstorming. I guess I'd just like to see less talk and more action.

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com

Exactly, I have not performed it yet, it was just something I think would work great, so I figured I'd share it.

Oh, and another idea I had was to make the piece appear inside your watch, like under the top glass. You would probably need an older watch to do so.

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
But at the end of the day, why can't we all create our own ideas? Let him use his idea for himself and come up with an equally awesome one for yourself. I could just spew untested, non-practical ideas all day (not saying his idea is that) but what good really comes out of that? Magic is about performing, not brainstorming. I guess I'd just like to see less talk and more action.

Yeah I can see where you are going with that, but all effects need a little brainstorming before they are tested, I mean look at Control, imagine how long it took Wayne to make it what it is today. (I think he mentioned on the DVD how long he spent with it until he started using it regularly, I don't remember)

Apr 28, 2008
Wow. I can't believe you just said that.

I don't anything said in Magic has ever been more wrong.

I agree, it's a very stupid statement.

Do you think Wayne Houchin just went out and performed Stigmata, Indecent, Sinful and Control without giving them a lot of thought?

Did Chad Nelson just go out to a performance one day and spontaneously create the Clip Shift without thinking about it?

Without brainstorming we would have no new ideas and magic would never evolve.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Without brainstorming, no new ideas take place, and the art of magic dies.
There are 6 billion people in the world, most of which will never see a magician live in their life. Never at one point will every possible laymen see every created trick. Never. What would be more appropriate to say is Without people to perform to, the art of magic dies.

What I mean when I say magic is about performing and not about brain storming, is that what good is magic without people that don't know the methods? That's the magic part of magic. Are you actually trying to tell me that your own trick is more important than the people you perform it to?

And I'd also like to see a creator weigh in on this. My bet would be for the majority of tricks created is that one magician creates and refines a concept and then goes to another magician to see how he can make it better. Not he just dreams up an idea about flying to the moon and then goes to his local magic circle meeting trying to come up with a method with his piers.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I say brainstorming, I'm referring to talking with fellow magicians, not creating by yourself. But I would even venture to say that performing is more important than creating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2008
There are 6 billion people in the world, most of which will never see a magician live in their life. Never at one point will every possible laymen see every created trick. Never. What would be more appropriate to say is Without people to perform to, the art of magic dies.

What I mean when I say magic is about performing and not about brain storming, is that what good is magic without people that don't know the methods? That's the magic part of magic. Are you actually trying to tell me that your own trick is more important than the people you perform it to?

And I'd also like to see a creator weigh in on this. My bet would be for the majority of tricks created is that one magician creates and refines a concept and then goes to another magician to see how he can make it better. Not he just dreams up an idea about flying to the moon and then goes to his local magic circle meeting trying to come up with a method with his piers.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I say brainstorming, I'm referring to talking with fellow magicians, not creating by yourself. But I would even venture to say that performing is more important than creating.

I'm having trouble seeing what your problem is. Why would you object to people sharing ideas?

Brainstorming may well be less important than performing but this doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. As you said, magic is for the people we perform for, Brainstorming lets us give these people a better experience.

The hardest part of creating an effect is coming up with the idea not the method. If somebody does come up with a new idea it's very likely they would take it to other magicians to try and work out a method.

Sep 15, 2008

Without creating/creation, there would be nothing to perform.

Have you not heard of "sessioning?" Of course you as a magician have an idea, and maybe just an idea, and then work through it with other magicians.

Although performing is important to furthering the act of magic, without magicians brainstorming and creating, we'd still be doing cups and balls.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I'm having trouble seeing what your problem is. Why would you object to people sharing ideas?
Because, that's all it is, an idea. And his idea. I'd rather come up with my own idea as to how to perform angle zero. For me, this thread didn't incite any creativity. If he showed a video showing his interpretation of the effect, on the other hand, I believe it would be a lot more effective on doing just that. I would actually have to come up with a method for myself if I wanted to copy it and a way to fit it to my performing style. I guess if this thread lit up your creativity fire than it served its purpose for you but for me it didn't.

And of course creating is important, but if all we did was create, what good would that do?

Sep 15, 2008
Because, that's all it is, an idea. And his idea. I'd rather come up with my own idea as to how to perform angle zero. For me, this thread didn't incite any creativity. If he showed a video showing his interpretation of the effect, on the other hand, I believe it would be a lot more effective on doing just that. I would actually have to come up with a method for myself if I wanted to copy it and a way to fit it to my performing style. I guess if this thread lit up your creativity fire than it served its purpose for you but for me it didn't.

And of course creating is important, but if all we did was create, what good would that do?

You're changing the argument.

He is just simply tossing out the idea to allow other magician's to use THEIR creativity, to take THEIR interpretation of this thought, and turn it into an effect/routine.

If he showed a video, then you would know exactly what he is talking about, see exactly what he does, and how he does. Now when you go to perform this effect, it will be the same. And so on and so on.

By reading text and getting the "vague" description of the idea, it allows for different interpretations which leads to different creations.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
By reading text and getting the "vague" description of the idea, it allows for different interpretations which leads to different creations.
Vague description? He told you exactly what gimmick to use, and where to make the corner re-appear. If it was more like "Do you guys think that you could mix Angle Zero with some TK...how so?" then it would be vague, and a damn good thread.

And I wouldn't copy his video, I was speaking hypothetically. Maybe I just wanna see a video so I can be a layman for a couple minutes. But I do agree, maybe posting a video isn't the best for trying to incite creativity, but it does showcase your own a lot better than text does.

Sep 15, 2008
In my opinion, despite how detailed it actually is, a written description is always going to be more vague than a visual one.

I think there we can agree.

That's why I prefer books over DVD's. When you watch a magician perform, you tend to steal his patter, his mannerisms, his performance.

In this case, in comparison to your request of a video of the idea, his description was in fact vague.

I don't quite understand why him telling us what he wanted to do is any different from what you say; mixing AZ with TK....

...because that is exactly what he said, just with examples. By throwing his idea out there, now the variations and other other creations can be created and thought up.

All it takes is creativity. Which I am beginning to believe you are completely against or completely lack.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results