Beginner at school

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
There is this other dude at my school who does tricks. He's been doing it for about a week. I told him I;m better than him and he should admit it. I told him I've been doing it for a year and just didn't care. What's is one effect than can make him jealous enough to quit! Or admit that I'm better.

Sep 1, 2007
Dude. Wrong attitude.

Unless this other kid is some kind of jackass who should have his eyes cauterized shut with curling irons, perhaps this is a great oppurtunity to work with another person on magic. I had a friend like that in high school. I showed him lots of different things. It's true what they (I don't know who "they" is) that teaching is the best way to learn.

If you ask me, you shouldn't squander this oppurtunity. Take advantage of it.

And don't be a jackass or else I might have to surgically remove your kidneys with a grapefruit spoon...

There is this other dude at my school who does tricks. He's been doing it for about a week. I told him I;m better than him and he should admit it. I told him I've been doing it for a year and just didn't care. What's is one effect than can make him jealous enough to quit! Or admit that I'm better.
That shouldn't be your top goal. You shouldn't try and "out do" him. What you need to do is pull him aside and tell him that out of respect for the art magic he should practice and create true magic with a strong performance style.

Mitchell

Just help him and team up, thats what i would do, help him out....do a magic session, teach him!, that would have been great if another magican with years or year of experince help/teach me when i first started.

Why are you such a freakin jerk. Magic isn't a competition. It's an art. Don't go trying to put down other magicians. He's a better magician than you not because he has more skill, but he's probably an overall better person.

I have a magician friend in school. He's better than me. He never rubs that in my face. Even if I could do a sleight better than him I never go " Oh!!! I PWND YOU SO BAD!!" because then I'd be a jerk.

Grow up.

Oct 23, 2007
i had this happan with two other ppl and we just went back a froth now i have been doing magic since i was six. now what i did was made a trick of my own one they could not buy and do.most of the time these ppl stop doing magic anyways

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
There is something truly wrong with your thinking. Magic shouldn't be a competition between the two of you. You should be trying to help him rather than bring him down, if you are into magic for the ego boost, then you should find another hobby.

Nov 1, 2007

I totally agree with what the others are saying man. Thats truly wrong, seriously.. i have a friend in my class thats a truly fantasic magician and i wanted to become a better performer and learn new tricks. Even though I was new, he didnt turn me down. he helped me alot, with little coin tricks and everything. He was the one who introduced me to this site. Just be the bigger man and help the guy out. Regardless if you're better than he is.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Dude as the others said thats the wrong attitude, why are you trying to belittle him or something, thats wrong you might hurt his feelings, plus no one likes a showoff or braggart, and in worst case scenario he will get so mad at you that he will become a heckler for you

Djb

Nov 2, 2007
Maine
Teaching

If you help someone who isnt as good as you you will get better because when you show them something you show them slow and sometimes you find something you have been doing wrong.

Sep 2, 2007
Whoah, dizzle. You need to chizzle. Magic isn't a competizzle. Just keep it rizzle. Don't be hatin'. Peace.

Seriously, though, everyone knows that when you have a problem with someone at school, the best way to deal with it is to challenge him to a big fight after school, and make sure you bring all your friends to keep him from bringing all his friends just to gang up and destroy you. After that, you spread the word around hoping that people will watch, and so that someone can leak it to the principle. Then you both get arrested, which solves everything.

Okay, SERIOUSLY, stupid joking aside... not trying to make you cry or anything, but I'd just try to chill with the guy and see if you can maybe share your art, exchange tips and stories, etc. If he's pissed and unreceptive, then just don't talk to him again, and the problem should go away. Teenagers have short attention spans.

And by the way, if you want a topic closed, all you have to do is say so, and Jack The Magician, our magic topic-closing fairy, will grant your request.

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
From personal experience I can relate to this situation. Only difference is that I was the beginner. When I first became interested in magic, I would do simple tricks for friends (I only did what I was comfortable enough with to not get caught). Well, one day I look to my right in Prob and Stats class and there this guy is waving his hand over a card and changing it to a different one. He kept doing it, and I couldn't figure it out! (Looking back I feel silly, it was an erdanese change!) Well anyways, I started to talk to him a lot and eventually he showed me some magic and helped me out. It helped me immensely getting into magic.

I guess my point is this.. Take the opportunity to help this guy out. Talk to him, don't be too hard on him against exposure. Try to let him learn on his own, just be there as the guy he'll ask questions. Share your knowledge from him, and you may find that he will share his knowledge with you. I know that I personally found a ton of stuff that my friend was unaware of, and introduced him to it. It's a very rewarding relationship you can build.

Just have fun and make a good friend! Who knows what will happen... Good luck!

Peace

Oct 21, 2007
Help him out, most definitly. When he gets better performing, try to do friendly challenges, try to 1 up eachother. I am telling you right now that, that will give you so much experience. You will do better because there is a huge goal ahead of you. My friend and I play the guitar, He also plays slide guitar, me and him always 1 up each other, We have been doing that for 4 years now. Since we started doing friendly challenges like that, we have both improved A LOT. example graph:

before the 1 up challenges we were here on a scale of 1 through 10.
1||||||2||||||3||||||4|||

After the 1 up challenges we were here on a scale of 1 through 10, doing it for 4 years.
1||||||2||||||3||||||4||||||5||||||6||||||7||||||8||||||9

there is such a thing as friendly challenges such as these, which sets goals for you to get better, it also sets A LOT of motivation.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
You are taking the complete wrong attitude towards the situation. Magic, especially in school, is purely about entertaining, not "showing up" the magician next to you. You are both magicians, and although you may not get along, you two should have a basic respect for you. This art is not really a competitive art, and I don't think we should try to change that... I think it's a great thing. You should hang out with the guy sometime, try to further him into the art, not try to get him out of it to keep the attention all for yourself. Stop being selfish and learn some ethics.

God, what is this world coming to when a teenage magician comes on a Forum to ask for a good trick to "show up" another magician in his school? It's pathetic what some of the people in our art are doing. Criss Angel on Phenomenon, anyone else?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results