Beginner Help?

Mar 8, 2008
Hawaii
hey everyone (and anyone), my name's todd and i actually was asking around to see what people think are some basic fundamental skills or techniques a beginner should learn before really taking off in magic. if u could please list ur opinion, that'd be great :) thanks so much

-Todd

Jan 4, 2008
One of the best ways

Well, one of the best ways to start out in magic are to go straight to the main source of where magic was brought to people without dvd's or technology like that. Books. Check out a few books because they will teach you the core essentials of what you need to learn to start the amazing journey as a magician. If you need any other help pm me and i will gladly help you out.

Feb 21, 2008
Check these books out!

Complete course in magic by Mark Wilson, a must have for a beginner.

For cards, Royal road to card magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue

Coins, J. B. Bobo's Modern coin magic

I think those books will get you started.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
How to do Street magic by Brad Christian, I'm not a fan of his work, but you'll learn the basics of everything you need to know.

Royal Road will be all that you need. Don't make the mistake I did and buy all five volumes of Card College.
So, it was a mistake that you bought all 5 volumes of C.C. heh? May I ask why? I would have assumed that it would have been the best investment that any aspiring cardician would have made. RRTCM is a good book (a bit outdated) but I would highly recommend the C.C. series over RRTCM in this millenium. If money is a problem and you aren't sure that card magic is your thing, then RRTCM is a cheap (price) alternative. But, if you are serious about owning the most up-to-date reference on card SOH, then buy C.C.
Best regards,
Dom KABALA

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
What kind of Magic interests you? Do you like Coins, Cards, Prop/ Parlor Magic? First figure out what you want to perform the check out some basics in that area. Coins are great because they are everywhere therefore you can always perform. I think every magician should know at least 2 good coin tricks. J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is a great book and it's one heck of a good bargain for the amount of stuff in it. A deck of cards is cheap so if you want to go in that direction you won't have to put up as much cash as you would if you were going to do stage/prop magic. Like people have said before me Royal Road... is good and it's inexpensive. Just a good book to have on the shelves anyway. CC is great!!! But it is a bit of an investment if you're not sure if cards are for you. If you want to go for stage/ prop magic than Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is for you.

Cheers!

Mar 8, 2008
Hawaii
Well, one of the best ways to start out in magic are to go straight to the main source of where magic was brought to people without dvd's or technology like that. Books. Check out a few books because they will teach you the core essentials of what you need to learn to start the amazing journey as a magician. If you need any other help pm me and i will gladly help you out.

cool, thanks for the advice :) . im definitely going to grab some books while im in oregon, but to be honest, im more of a visual learner. but ya, i also want to learn cuts and flourishes, but i dont know where to find a list of some sort lol.

laterz
Todd

Mar 2, 2008
Philippines
hey everyone (and anyone), my name's todd and i actually was asking around to see what people think are some basic fundamental skills or techniques a beginner should learn before really taking off in magic. if u could please list ur opinion, that'd be great :) thanks so much

-Todd

michael ammar for basic coin magic...

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
How to do Street magic by Brad Christian, I'm not a fan of his work, but you'll learn the basics of everything you need to know.

For the love of god no. Stay away from 'brad' 'christian' and his bridge sized cards.

Personally I would suggest staying away from books. Books are in the past, they need to make videos of this stuff so you can see the exact hand positions and timings and so on. Those things are crucial. This site has 2 beginner intro videos in 1on1, I haven't checked them out since I'm such a pro. They run 24 and 28 minutes, and are still 5 bucks! Plus, Aaron Fisher, dude. Aaron Fisher. No brad christian. Aaron Fisher.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results