Best Book On Overall Magic Theory?

Aug 29, 2017
O.k. so I came across a book called
Magic in Theory: An Introduction to the Theoretical and Psychological Elements of Conjuring by Peter Lamont and Professor Richard Wiseman

The book offers insight into how magicians handle the effects and control or direct the thoughts of the audience. So far it is a good read.

I was wondering if there are any other great books out there like this one to help guys and gals learn the psychology of handling the thoughts of spectators ala misdirection and the like. Any recommendations?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The books that have been most influential to my own magic (as in, philosophy and performance theory) are The Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook, and Absolute Magic and Pure Effect by Derren Brown.

Other influences - Eugene Burger Mastering the Art of Magic
The Berglas Effects by Richard Kaufman
Pygmalion Effects by Aaron Alexander
The Book of Lies by Paul Brook
On Mephisto's Shoulder by Paul Brook
Spirit Theater by Eugene Burger
The Fives Points in Magic by Juan Tamariz
Creative Magic by Adam Wilber

Apologies for the random nature of that list, I was just looking over at the shelf and taking note of ones I remembered being really good.

And also a smattering of fiction and "Mysteries of the ********" series. As well as some business books. Oh, and State of Mind by Alain Nu had some impact, too. Though full disclosure, Alain is a friend and I had a hand in the final editing read throughs so I'm a little biased with that one.

Oh, and I would be stupid not to mention by own book on character which is in my signature.

Reactions: Mr.CardTrick

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The most comprehensive is Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic. Other good books are:

Ken Webber's Maximum Entertainment (very practical)
Darwin Ortiz's Designing Miracles
Juan Tamariz's Five Points, Magic Way and Sonata (which is out of print)
Larry Haas's Transformations
Peter McCabe's Scripting Magic
The Magic of Ascanio
Henning Nelms' Magic and Showmanship
Jeff McBride's Showdoctor
The Fitzke Trilogy (although I disagree with a lot of that is said)
Other books that contain theory (or essays or scripting) as well as effects:

Anything by Eugene Burger or Robert Neale
Tommy Wonder's Books of Wonder
Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment
Walt Anthony's Tales of Enchantment

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
To my knowledge Lybrary is mostly used by people to self-publish their own works. I haven't heard of a serious piracy problem there. It's more like the eBook version of Lulu.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
The most comprehensive is Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic. Other good books are:

Ken Webber's Maximum Entertainment (very practical)
Darwin Ortiz's Designing Miracles
Juan Tamariz's Five Points, Magic Way and Sonata (which is out of print)
Larry Haas's Transformations
Peter McCabe's Scripting Magic
The Magic of Ascanio
Henning Nelms' Magic and Showmanship
Jeff McBride's Showdoctor
The Fitzke Trilogy (although I disagree with a lot of that is said)
Other books that contain theory (or essays or scripting) as well as effects:

Anything by Eugene Burger or Robert Neale
Tommy Wonder's Books of Wonder
Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment
Walt Anthony's Tales of Enchantment

While "The Magic of Ascanio Vol. 1" doesn't necessarily teach you directly about misdirection and what not, it describes how you should structure magic in a logical manner to make your audience less suspicious of what you're doing. It is one of my favorite books on magic overall (I'm personally a huge fan of the Spanish School of Magic).

Might I also suggest "Devious Standards" by Jamy Ian Swiss. His "Dissertation on the Double Lift" is very insightful on how the move that we use most should mimic that of how lay people turn cards over.

Remember that when reading books on theory, you aren't required to agree 100% with everything listed within. The authors are giving you food for thought and it should supplement and compliment your current views on magic.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Oh, a book I've heard of but not read is "Less is More" by Benjamin Earl. It essentially teaches you how to strip away all the unnecessary stuff in your effects and better revise them for performance.

Oh, a book I've heard of but not read is "Less is More" by Benjamin Earl. It essentially teaches you how to strip away all the unnecessary stuff in your effects and better revise them for performance.

I was lucky enough to attend Ben's lecture in NY last month. He explained his "Neo Movement" system as well as some theory from his "Less Is More" book. Fantastic stuff. Sometimes when I construct routines, to make it more "fool proof" I add unnecessary moves, but in the end I have to realize that I'm performing for laypeople.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
My favorite book for performers right now is Jeff Mcbride's show Doctor. I also LOVE Joshua Jay's Magic Mind. The best essays on theory all compiled in one book and it's free on Vanishing Inc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results