Best camera flourishes

C J

Nov 29, 2017
So I'm trying to plan out making a deck of cards and one of the most important things is the trailer. So I have a question for you cardistry guys. What are your favorite camera flourishes to use and what are some design point that you love. Like having a circular design or being super colorful or having a stripe on the side for fans ect.

Thanks CJ

Mar 15, 2017
Having a stripe on the side. Riffle Fans look good on camera, Under-Pressures, et cetera, especially if you add a reverse to some moves.

Reactions: C J
Sep 10, 2017
I prefer a minimal design.
As for flourishes, most of Dan and Dave's stuff, with a bit of color changes. If you can do a card twirl like flicker-bullet combo it would be visual as well.

Reactions: C J

Biz

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Romania
bizandfriends.com
There are a few things that make a successful deck launch successful.

1. Famous/Good cardists behind it.

Look at Mano Santo's deck. They are relatively new but have managed to gather quite some cash with their kickstarter. Why? Luis Mecalco is killing it and even made it to the Finals of CCC. Artists support artists who push the art forward, hence the deck being a success.

As an added bonus they also made the AD Card a Tutorial and the back design different in 3 ways, which brings me to point 2.

2. Innovation.

What makes your deck special? Is it the card box, like the Lunar Playing Cards (which opens up like the phases of the moon), is it the back design that blends in nicely when fanned, sprung or displayed?

Mr. Slevin had a Marble Deck launch quite recently which was a success. All the backs of the cards had different marble designs. Innovative. No one did it before him, or if they did, they didn't do it the way he did.

He is also relatively known in the card scene, so he reached out to players like Kevin Ho and other known individuals to promote his campaign, which brings me to point 3.

3. Target Audience

Who do you want to buy your deck? If you want cardists to buy your deck, get someone that is known in the community to promote it for you on Instagram. Get more people to put it as their story. Send prototype decks and have people use it in their video.

Do you want collectors to buy it? Make it artsy, amazing face drawings - maybe even go over the top with the design. Make it tell a story.

Do you want magicians to buy your deck? Put a marking system on the back. Include a short card, a double backer and a gaff card.

4. Performance Video

If the flourishes are well executed, it will come across as good. Even if you do well known mainstream flourishes, they will do the job. Look up Deck Trailers from Dan and Dave, Theory11 and TheVirts. Learn from each.

That was my 4 cents.

Love,
Biz

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results