Best Close-up Pad?

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
There is certainly a school of thought, an argument that could be made that pads are a crutch for your magic. Learning to ribbon spread on a granite top could be invaluable.

Don't get me wrong its a nice tool but i've just felt that it could set you back.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I only use a close-up pad when I need to, because I perform bar magic, and well, the bars aren't always dry enough to TRUST in a ribbon spread. The style of pad does matter to me. I used the Apollo close up pads for YEARS. The problem is, after normal wear and tear, it DOES seperate itself from the rubbery bottom. With the Victorian pad, it is attached to a hard shelled bottom. Which mean, more life out of more performances.

I had the opportunity to look at Eric Jones' close-up pad he brought with us when we went to Bob Little's convention. He has a Tony Clark Victorian style close up pad. It looks absolutely beautiful. Expensive, yes, but simply beautiful.

Close-up pads aren't just for ribbon spreading, but an area used to "present" your magic. For some, the use of a pad of any sort doesn't apply. But for others, having an "area" to present your magic sets your mood to a higher standard because you are creating the "setting"...My friend and magical mentor, Eugene Burger doesn't use a close up pad. He uses a tiny carpet...(try ribbon spreading on that sucker...NOT happening...lol) But he still presents this carpet as his performance area. Nothing "magical" will happen outside of this "magical square." Does he actualy TELL the spectators that? No, but some see that as such.

For me, I perform 4 nights a week. And the area where I perform is "set aside" for me when it is my night to perform. How? The on shift bartender places a large close up pad at "my" area. Lighting is set that is different than the rest of the bar. My "Stage" is ready. The people who are there now know where I am going to perform at. But besides setting up my performance area, a close up pad for me gives me a little bit more security in terms of a "space" that HOPEFULLY will not be broken by some drunk frat dude. :)

Hope this helps...

Mike

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results