Best Coin in Bottle?

My favorite CiB is still the one done with the folding quarter. Totally knocks em dead in bars.

Michael Ammar sells a cork that makes this even better if you play it right. Somehow blocking the mouth of the bottle seems to take away one more option for them to consider, however illogical it may be.

The Abyss is an interesting routine, for sure.

Check out World's Greatest Magic's Coin in Bottle DVD. For 18 bucks, you can't beat the diversity you'll find there.

Pj

Dec 30, 2007
I'm sorry for saying it, but... Factory Sealed! With a tiny bit of creativity, you can put a coin in larger than the mouth of the bottle and have the bottle ACTUALLY factory sealed- not to mention examinable.

However, any CIB you buy should be supplemented by Abyss (Revolutionary, not the other version!) because it contains so many good ideas for cleanup, setup, and performance- "Waterfall", I think, is worth the price of the book.

Apr 20, 2008
Actually, one of the best coin in bottles is one that hardly anyone here will have heard of.

Richard Osterlind has a coin in bottle with a borrowed, SIGNED quarter in a GLASS coke bottle, see if you can figure THAT one out!

It's part of his mind mysteries DVD set. I forget which one.

Seriously though, best coin in bottle EVER. Laypeople have NO idea.

Nov 8, 2007
Actually, one of the best coin in bottles is one that hardly anyone here will have heard of.

Richard Osterlind has a coin in bottle with a borrowed, SIGNED quarter in a GLASS coke bottle, see if you can figure THAT one out!

I like Osterlind's CiB as well. It isn't very practical for most performers though. Definitely suited as a stage effect.

Dec 30, 2007

I agree with ExitMat, this is strictly a stage effect- but an incredibly good-looking one. Bottles are very expensive, though :(

Sep 3, 2007
I agree with ExitMat, this is strictly a stage effect- but an incredibly good-looking one. Bottles are very expensive, though :(

The setup and the cleanup leave a lot to be desired. In my opinion the best one's the spectator gets to keep with big coin stuck inside, and don't take so much effort/time to set up.

Apr 20, 2008
Yeah, I guess if you are grading on practicality for close-up, it isn't the best.

Didn't really think about that, my closeup is almost exclusively mentalism, I generally don't pull out something like a coin in bottle unless it is a very special occasion, and in that case, I'd generally be working standup/parlor-ish, in which case it plays wonderfully.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
In my humble opinion, Abyss: The Revolutionary Coin In Bottle is the "Bible" of CIB's. It isn't a book containing the method to one specific effect, rather it contains countless different methods that allow you to transpose a coin in bottle. For $15 you get the booklet, along with several types of gimmicks, and invaluable advice.

Some of the best $15 I've ever spent right there.
TDA

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results