Big Post Count Means Nothing

Sep 1, 2007
Figured id transfer this post, open it up for discussion.

I know this has more then likely already been said, but im gonna throw in my opinion anyways.

I know everyones heard it a thousand times over, but quality > quantity.

Stop worrying about post count. Feel free to deny it, but lets be honest, anyone who has 200+, 100+ even, posts by now is goin way overboard. Like cmon guys, thats a post every nearly every 10 minutes, and thats if youve been up since the site launched. I was on E for nearly a year before i left those forums, and my post count was at a mere 500. Everyone assumes a high post count is gonna get them noticed. And oh.my.god, i think anyone who was there can all remember when they did forum cleanup and everyones post count dropped 1-500 , what an epedemic that was.

To me, seeing someone who has accumulated 250 posts in 48 hours makes me less inclined to take there advice. It sorta makes me consider the fact that someone like that probably has more forum reading experience than real world experience.

To me, thats what its all about, and thats the person i want to take advice from. The one that has real world experience, and knows what works with what, and how to connect with the audience. Forums are great, but advice over the internet can only get you so far, you have to get out there an see how things are for yourself. Asking questions is great, and forums are a great resource, but i think we all can agree that there are 1 to many threads about things that could be better answered by ones self.

Now dont take this post wrong, forums are good as a resource and whatnot, and there are many people with large post counts that really do help people out alot! But they have accumulated that over time, not in 48 hours after the forum opened. Like cmon, "Goodnight guys, see you tomorrow" is no different to me then posting "Hi this is just another useless thread to up my post count". (Not trying to pick the poster of this thread out, many people do it it, this thread just happened to be the one i posted in).

Does anyone else get what im trying to say???

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Yea I agree, I see people with 140 posts and I'm like? what the heck? But the forums have just gone up and everyone is really pumped. This site is just so cool everyone wants to post here. :D

I have a lot of posts, but I don't care about post count.

Sep 2, 2007
YES! Thank you Im sick of the 20 post for minute stuff. SO hard to get through. ITS BEEN 3 DAYS you do not have to make 100 post perday that should take at least a month 2 weeks at the least. theres three other good forums out there.Spread around.

Decknique
Handlordz
Dananddave.

Yes well some people have been really active (one being myself) with the posts. And yeah I have 150+ posts in less than 3 days but that's only because I'm excited about the site and want to hop around meeting and chatting with as many people as I can. I know post counts don't matter like honestly what's so great about getting to 1,000 first or something you don't get a prize. I post because I want to and I feel like I have something to say. And it's not like all of my posts are "Yeah cool, I know" "No I disagree". My posts have meaning. And yeah there are other forums but I like this one the best so what's wrong with sticking to only one?

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I agree... there are a lot of post hungry people out there who think that high post counts mean they know it all... Believe me, some do, I just don't like the posters that are like "yeah that's a good idea" and "sweet, thanks". Yeah of course you can say thanks but at least add a comment after it. Well that's just my two cents...

Daz

Sep 1, 2007
This is my first post - so that must be a sure sign of its fine quality.

And I agree - half the reason I've not left any messages here is that there's just too much spewing out posts at the moment. Too much to wade through. Too many threads that are too repetitive from what's already been said. It's like there's some kind of mad panic to leave our scent on the new turf. Which is understandable, because people are keen - but it's like building Rome in half a day.

Sep 3, 2007
Same here, first post, will be pure quality. I spent a year at Ellusionist, I only got about 250 posts. While another guy, who I will not name, went to 1000 posts in about 2 months, maybe less.

The same rules apply for when you are practicing. It's the quality of how you practice, not how much you practice.

"The perfect practice makes perfect, not practice makes perfect."

Sep 1, 2007
Just because a post is short, doesn't mean it isn't quality. I can name a lot of posts that I've seen in forums that are short, but say a lot and mean a lot. Think about it that way.

Totally agree man!

I have around 1100 posts at Penguin, over around two-and-a-half years there. My average is around two-and-a-half a day. I think it's ludicrous to have a ratio of 100 in a day.

Quality all the way! :)

Sep 1, 2007
UK
I agree mostly but can understand that some are excited about a new place to discuss magic and so are really posting in many threads, but im sure it'll calm down.
I do think your view is correct though and posting mindlessly just to up your post count won't benefit anyone.
I do however think it's ok to say thanks etc as that's showing courtesy to those your replying to within reason and if you feel it's necessary.

Haha, so many 3 page + threads it isn't funny! (why am I laughing then?)
But ya, people, don't post like angry postwhores!
I post decently I believe, and every time I make a new 50 mark I will edit a post to say so.

I agree that the number of posts one has is meaningless and that the quality of the posts is what counts. I do not know if this site intends to do this, but many sites automatically "rank" members based on the members reaching certain post goals. So that the title under your name changes from "newbie" to "member" to "full member" and so on as your post count goes up. If this site intends to have titles other than "member", "moderator" and/or "staff" I hope that they are based on the quality of the posts and are awarded by a committee and not done automatically by the forum software based on post count.

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
I wouldn't say people with a lot of posts should be listened to less though...look at the Eternal Order on the cafe, they most definitely know what they are talking about, they just help A LOT of people =p
Adam

Sep 1, 2007
Beirut Lebanon
We need big ass, kick ass mods, Or at least one of the founders to say something bout this. I know they want it to be fun, and no strict rules, but for some of us, this just makes things less fun. Ive been very active on some forums, and my post count barely reaches 200 in 10 months.

I'm with you guys. I don't think post count has anything to do with it. If Danny came on here and started to post he would start out at one post just like everyone else. Would that make his post worth less than others who have 200 posts? I don't think so IMHO.

I use the cafe, E, and other forums as well. With those forums, Work, Family and actualy practicing magic I just don't have time to post 200 times a year, let alone a day. But, I always try to help in any way that I can and I hope that I have done well in that regard.

Good posting everyone,
Tim

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
The concern is that people are just pumping out posts to be noticed, when the posts are not needed. However, some people are just very helpful, so I don't judge by the number, first look into what they give as advice and such.
Adam

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results