Billet work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
JUSTIFICATION: Billets & Billet Issues

WARNING: This is a very long dissertation on Billet Work in general that spans a total of 3 parts (due to post length limitations). I will be listing the associated links at the top of each posting for your convenience.

Basically there needs to be a justification as to why it is required to both touch the billets and tear it up in the case of a centre tear. -- Beans 25

This would seem one of the biggest issues people have when it comes to billet work and for a few reasons the least of which is the action of having someone write a question or whatever, on a small card or slip of paper. . .
. . . the bigger issue being magician’s guilt

FIRST, A BIT OF HISTORY
Contrary to the belief put forth in the magic community the word “Billet” is a legit term used in the Spiritualist world to refer to a small slip of paper upon which a client writes the gist of their question. Though rare you will still find Billet Readers being advertised as such, from that particular culture, so don’t fear calling these little “love pillows” (the original meaning from the “French” according to Bob Cassidy, because they were used in Victorian times as a way for lovers to pass affectionate thoughts to one another; especially in cases of forbidden love.)

In this explanation we find the answer to our first quandary – why would people write something down? The answer being that it’s what has been done for over a century from within the shut-eye world. Needless to say, someone working outside the New Age/Psychic Entertainer approach will have it a bit tougher explaining away such things but that is why so many follow the primary rule of billet work. . .

IGNORE IT!
Just as you learn to ignore the hand that has the vanished object and focus on the empty hand that mimes the action of taking it, so with billets you must learn to no make them a big deal in your own head. I believe it was Dunninger that suggested we ask ourselves “What would a real mind reader/ psychic do”? and in the case of billets, they are quite nonchalant and look at them for what they are; a slip of paper someone wrote something on – it’s innocent and means NOTHING.

Magicians place importance onto the slip because of guilt, that’s it (outside the fear of doing the switch, copping the read and how to end up clean which is more fear based). Guilt comes because we know we are about to cheat our butts off in order to create a seeming miracle. Because of the brain washing we are given when it comes to charlatan antics we feel “dirty” and worse, so as to escape this psychologically empowered monkey on our back, we start viewing what we do as being a “trick” which restores the more innocent idea behind what we are doing. BUT. . . as Stephan Minch pointed out long ago, a true mentalists has one foot embedded in the Theater with the other firmly planted in the world of the confidence artist. More so, we are willing to do whatever it takes to sustain our biggest of all illusions – the claim of who & what we are. This can range from taking credit for someone’s watch stopping or other peculiar happenings when we are around to our work with billets, swamis, benders, and more. The IMAGE is what’s important and when it comes to Mentalism, you really don’t get to enjoy downtime. . not if you are seeking to be “more” than some guy doing tricks.

So it’s ok to have people jot something down; it’s tradition and as Bob Cassidy says, “it keeps you making me look like a fool later in the show.”

We’ve likewise seen how our act of ignoring the slip (whatever duplicity you’re running with at the moment) takes away from our unconscious “tells” – those subtle ideomotor cues we give off and some audience members might pick-up on. It’s something we needn’t lend power to and for those that seem to have problems with this hurdle I’d recommend you sit down with the following resources;

Most Anything By Bob Cassidy
Bob always has solid billet work featured in most all of his books but the main one’s to look at are the One Man Billet Act, Invisible Billet, and the Moldavian Switch. But there is one other Cassidy piece I believe everyone needs to study if they are considering billet work, it is a short section found in his Theories & Methods for the Practical Psychic entitled “The Billet Switch” (pg 19) through pg 21/ the “Open Switch & Read”. While this book has several fantastic billet bits in it the outline of doing a one-on-one billet Reading is some of the most powerful information any student could ask for, demonstrating just how powerful that little piece of paper can be. Frankly, mastering billets and the swami is about the only two bits of mechanical trickery any mentalist needs to really know (though proper use of impression tools is a wise thing).

SWITCHCRAFT by Elliot Bresler – this is top of the list MUST HAVE – PERIOD!

Other Prime Resources:

Thought Reading with Billets vol. I & II – I will place strongest emphasis on Vol. I in that it will give you a ton of insight on the original Peek technique that still reigns as the most practical and easy to do “standard” of the craft going – ACIDUS NOVUS. Vol. II covers a full billet peek method known as Acidus Globus which is good and to my knowledge the only full billet read currently available in legal form. There is another (Obsidian Oblique) which is superior in my experience but not available legally, unless you purchase it from one of a limited number of folks that bought the original release. Do note, it comes with a CD so torrent downloads will not give you everything that goes with it.

John Riggs & Docc Hilford both focus on billets in their many manuscripts so study what they have to offer.

The Master Billet Course by Allan Zingg – is a fun DVD series that offers a series of routines employing billets that are both, fun as well as devious.

More on Part II​

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
BILLET WORK: Part 2

{Continued From Part I }​

Part 3
FEAR FACTOR
This is a biggie when it comes to billet work; fear of the switch and fear of the read.

When it comes to the switch I must ask if you’ve ever read Bobo and practiced the coin moves found there in?

On many levels billet work is the same thing as good coin work so stop sweating it!

The switch is the easiest part of billet work once you understand the basics; especially the part of getting one ahead/behind so as to create your misdirection. Hilford’s “Invisible Stranger” routine has to be one of the best examples of this I’ve found in recent years; it’s truly beautiful on how it obfuscates the steals, the reads and other nuances around the act.

When it comes to the read, study and experience will help you realize that it’s not that difficult to pull off and too, you will frequently have more than enough time to cop the read and move forward with the act. Practice, Practice, Practice! This is the only way you will be able to create a cadence for yourself and evolve the actions into something fluid.

PEEKS
As I’ve hinted at Acidus Novus is the original peek and arguably the one technique used the most by working performers. I know guys out there that have written several different peeks over the years that rarely use the material they’ve marketed, they were literally cashing in on the trend. I know that sounds harsh but it’s the reality of any business and most especially a specialized industry. Nonetheless there are a few decent peeks out there and I’ll touch on them shortly. First and foremost we need to look at the precursor to it all, the Center Tear.

The history of the Center Tear is covered fairly well in Carlyle & Shubert’s Peek for Yourself which is something I would encourage everyone to take a look at simply so you can place a bit of perspective on this over-used technique.

When staged properly the Center Tear can aid you in delivering mind-boggling demonstrations. The problem is 99% of the folks using it DO NOT take the time to stage it – to think it through and create a logical story line that removes the illogic tied to the method – having someone write something down and then you tear it to shreds – how is that logical?

In the original handling of this method the Mitt Joint Readers would explain away this illogical point by offering the writing of the client to the Gods or Spirit Realms in order to gain insight to the issue most plaguing the patron e.g. tearing up the slip and sprinkling the pieces into a flame or onto a hot coal so they would be consumed, made sense psychologically – the framing and explanation of the destruction became acceptable and clarified.

Magicians waste lots of time justifying the writing but as I’ve pointed out in the early Billet portion of this essay, the writing itself is not the issue it’s the destruction. It is very rare that you will find a story line in which these two actions come together in a harmonious manner such as how the charlatans originally implemented the method. In all of my years the only other setting I’ve found that works is something Bruce Bernstein shared some years ago (and I figured out independently) is when doing Bob Cassidy’s “Where & When” routine i.e. you tell the audience up front that one of the two slips will be destroyed and it will be the one they name, no double talk, etc. the slip they choose will be the one destroyed.

In the original Cassidy handling there was a 3rd billet – a dummy – which the Bernstein/Browning method totally negates by using the Center Tear. {NOTE: my variation has gone even further, so as to incorporate Acidus Novus instead}. The act of destruction fits the method because we have given a sound reason or excuse that prefaces the act, leaving nothing to question . . . at least in comparison to most.

Yes, there are “real” psychics who will crunch up and destroy a slip when they are doing a Reading. I can assure you that 99.9% of them are con-artists using a peek, but that’s beside the point; while it can be done and come off semi-convincing (based on your acting skills) it’s weak at best. The real catch is however, how does a “non-psychic” type character gain this type of advantage? For the life of me I haven’t been able to find a single scenario that does such which kind of suggests to me that the Center Tear, at least psychologically speaking, has some serious weaknesses that need to be weighed, understood and when possible, avoided. It was developed by charlatans working in the Psychic industry so how can someone that’s claiming NLP, or any of the other modern buzz terms, use the method without making what they do look like a trick?

To this we need to add the fact that the Center Tear has been exposed more times that I’d like to count; Cereal Boxes, Boy Scout Handbooks, and other such vehicles that are readily accessible by the general public, including the Masked Marvel himself – the Masked Magician version 2.0 (not Valentino).

More in Section III​

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
BILLET WORK: Part 3

{continued from BILLET WORK: Part II}

Part I

While I do believe there are ways around exposure – ways we can used an exposed method and still throw the public off our trail, I also believe that it is our obligation to be less dependent on such pieces and always willing to move in other directions. For an example Docc Hilford’s ”Dance of Shiva” is a great variant to the typical CT and even more so in that it allows you to see nearly half of the billet when making the peek. Of course this is one of several similar peeks that have come to the market in the past dozen or so years such as the Osterlind ”Perfect Center Tear” and ”PINK” but I can’t comment on those when it comes to hands on experience. It is just to my understanding that they are all quite close to being the same sort of thing.

Acidus Novus, as I’ve noted, is the grandfather of Peeks which hit the scene in the latter 1970’s by way of a Al Koran. Anyone that has studied and used this method for more than a few short years will recognize one fact about this technique – it’s virtually limitless, allow you to peek just one small region of a billet, over half the billet via the vertical or horizontal position and more!

When you learn to use this method you will find yourself getting a bit more bold as well as confident with your billet work because the peek happens right in front of people without any kind of fumbling, the answer is right there for you to read, plain as day. This means you don’t have to get one ahead or behind in order to work several patrons at once such as you’d do with a Q&A.

And While I’m At It. . .
I may as well address peek devices such as Wallets, Card Holders, etc.

If we go by that old cliché of “What would this look like if a real psychic/mind reader were to do it?” I can assure you they wouldn’t have you write something down and put it into THEIR wallet or whatever. Like the Center Tear this is illogical and lends to the participant & witnesses alike, an “Out”, a place by which to consider trickery is afoot. For those that don’t mind doing shoddy mentalism that comes off as trickery vs. some mode of realism that is perfectly fine, but I personally think we owe it to ourselves, the craft and our audiences to weigh things and find a cleaner, more covert means by which to accomplish our chicanery.

Understand, just as the CT there are times and places where Wallets and such are practical and work well. I’ve literally stooged people in a group by giving them the wallet before the show and then “borrowing their wallet” later, and having them hold on to it once the question or whatever has been set within (and glimpsed of course). The purpose of the ruse is to remove from the public mind, any idea that I’m somehow using a gimmick, I need to take that connection away from them so that my demonstration comes across with stronger validity and too, greater realism.

The Bottom Line Is. . .
We don’t think enough; we look at what sits in front of us rather than thinking things through and finding alternatives – options – by which to improve upon the handling of an effect that better suits our personal, style and goals and likewise allows us to deliver a stronger EXPERIENCE to our audience.

Unlike traditional magic Mentalism is far more experiential and personal to the mind of the general public, we want to personalize it in order to invoke that belief from them that makes what we do more than a “trick” and better akin to the miraculous.

None of what this article has covered is carved in stone; it’s simply a perspective that rarely gets consideration when we take on a new routine or start tailoring material we already do. The goal should always be to challenge ourselves into doing what is best vs. convenient. When it comes to Mentalism this is an obligation that goes a bit deeper than most care to delve into but for those that do, the pay-off proves to be rather awesome.

Thanks for Reading this series and your comments.

Sincerely,
The Old Cantankerous Bear​

Craig,

While I appreciate your knowledge and experience, why not produce this as a PDF for the Wire? The amount of information and experience you put into your work is certainly worth a buck or two. Thanks for providing us, once again, with another quality educational resource!

Kindly,
Draven

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
What a plethora of billet info Craig! Chances are you aren't receiving much feedback due to the demographics and lack of performing experience for most of these youngsters. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 4, 2008
Great thread. If there was a Mentalism section here I'd say Sticky it. But alas....

I particularly liked your discussion of peek wallets. They are a great device that will make your life so much easier. No billet switching, no Acidus Novus peeks, just plop the note in your wallet and get a nice clear picture. The only problem, and unfortunately it is a big one, is finding justification to put their billet in your wallet. I like the idea of stooging someone to hand you their wallet(the one you gave them to hand you.) I personally have a businessman's "post-it" organizer. On the outside is a clear vinyl id pocket where I can put my own business card. So when I use it to gain a peek I place their billet behind my own card and sticking out just a bit. So the idea is that I am using the wallet to "hide" the spectators thought but that it is still in full view of the audience.

Anyways I think it is a slightly better way to use a wallet peek because now the audience is led to believe that it has been placed in there for theatrical value, but it certainly isn't the best. The only time I really use it is in "spectator as the mind reader" where the possibility that I could have gotten a peek seems inconsequential to the effect.

Another use I have found for peek wallets is in certain prediction effects. So, for instance, an add a number routine. I write down the prediction and place it in my wallet. My prediction going into my wallet makes more sense to me than your thought goes into my wallet. So then I can go through the audience and have them think of numbers and while I'm adding them up I can either double write or swami write the total on the billet through the peek. Of course many peek wallets have a clear vinyl cover on the peek, preventing you from using them in this way.

Anyways, those are my mixed thoughts on wallet peeks. In all I basically agree that they are really hard to justify. On the flip side I really appreciate some of the clever gimmickry of a good mechanical peek. Therefore I am constantly wracking my brain as to how to better justify them.

On a side note, one of my favorite mentalism gimmicks of all time, one that I have never used since I have never found a good enough way to justify it, is the devil device. When that billet just flips over I get a grin every time.

Apr 2, 2014
Thank you for your contributions Mister Browning. I read all your free books, your posts here and on talkmagic etc. and i have learned a lot from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results