Blurring The Line

Jan 3, 2008
Hi guys,

I love magic, I love mentalism, but what I like the most about them is bluring the line between ilusion and reality. Now I am a bit into commercial magic, because it is easier with it to get a job. But this is just my case.

I remember a few times when people came to me and ask if it was real. Then i knew that i did it great.

How about you guys? What can you say about it? Is it worth trying or is it just my worthless-piece-of-..... in my head?

Aug 31, 2007
Ive heard that atleast 8 times this week....

quoted for truth.

But anyway, I think that's great, if that's the approach you want to take with your magic, then go for it. Just make sure it’s not a blatant attempt, as in "I’m about to magically take this [insert ordinary object] and do [insert amazing feat with it. Personally I believe, (as many others do,) that its okay to blur the line, or attempt to do so, but you should never just try to make the spectator believe what you're doing is real. Some people believe in magic, and some don't. You’re not going to get one of the people who know magic isn't real, to come up and ask if it was. It’s very possible to present to two people and them draw totally different conclusions, as it’s a matter of perception. One guy may think you have slick hands, while the other may think you have real powers. I’ll repeat this one more time, because it’s worth repeating. do not try to make your spectators believe what your doing is real. So, go ahead and present as you will, to try to make the spectator believe you have powers, just make sure your patter isn't solely based around "look i have powers".

Sep 1, 2007
You just kind of have to "read" the person. If its a very emotional person, I wouldn't recommend crossing that line, just barely blurring it will be enough. If this person believes in magic, go ahead and blur it or cross it. If this person knows its some sort of physical skill, and not magical skills, just present it as so, and if they ask, just go with the flow.

So in all cases, just "go with the flo"

Apr 28, 2008
On some occasions you may be able to blur the line between illusion and reality however you should not make this your objective for every performance.

Any intelligent person knows that what you're doing isn't real and if you keep trying to convince them that it is then you will be insulting their intelligence and they will not enjoy the performance.

In most situations such as in Cafe's, Bars, Restaruants etc it best to just let the audience enjoy it for what it is.

If you are in the right situation, e.g. maybe a quiet place with a small group of people with a good atmosphere and you pick the right effects then maybe you can convince them to think it's real even if it's just for a few moments.

Although I find most of my audiences are far too intelligent to believe it's real in any situation.

Sep 1, 2007
Ive heard that atleast 8 times this week....

Whoop-dee-sh*t. Here's your cookie, now shut up.

To address the actual point, perhaps you could expound on this a little more. There's a dozen different directions this could go in, and I want to know if there's anything specific you were looking for.

Jan 3, 2008
I never tell a spec that I have any kind of "magic-in-me". Furthermore it will weaken your performance as far as i am concerned.

The kind of suggestion I use is like Luke Jermay's. I have read his book and he says to try to tell that you might have something "more" subconsiously(sp?). I really loved that idea. You openly tell that you do not posses any kind of supernatural, but in performance try to eliminate any kind of possibilities. For example if you are trying to say that you read body language, later in performance you urge you spec not to give any clues. And still you reveal the word. They will draw the conclusions themselves.

Hope this makes sense.

Feel free to hate me:)

Apr 28, 2008
I never tell a spec that I have any kind of "magic-in-me". Furthermore it will weaken your performance as far as i am concerned.

The kind of suggestion I use is like Luke Jermay's. I have read his book and he says to try to tell that you might have something "more" subconsiously(sp?). I really loved that idea. You openly tell that you do not posses any kind of supernatural, but in performance try to eliminate any kind of possibilities. For example if you are trying to say that you read body language, later in performance you urge you spec not to give any clues. And still you reveal the word. They will draw the conclusions themselves.

Hope this makes sense.

Feel free to hate me:)

I think this is something we can always try and achieve. Even though we can't completely convince a spectator it's real we can hide the method so well that they will be thinking 'It can't be magic.. but it's impossible, there's no way anyone could do that'. If they are thinking like this I believe it's more likely they will continue thinking about it and discuss it with friends etc

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results