Bobo's Modern Coin Magic Old or New

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Hey guys, I'm going to buy the coin's bible, but I don't know which one..
The "old" which costs around 10 dollars, or the new one which costs around 50...
Could you tell me the differences ? I read there were 4 more chapters in the new one, but what are they about? Thanks guys :p

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't own the new one, and I'm not a coin magician, but everyone I've ever talked to who actually does own it, recommends the new one. Sorry I can't be of any more help. This question has been asked before though, do a search and there are other answers from memory.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Well, I was the one who posted that comment and I will have to say that you should get the new one. Here are the reasons:

1. Hard back is way cooler that soft back
2. 4 New chapters (other than that, it is the same book)
3. It has the word "New" in it.
4. With the crazy weather in the states recently, it is always smart to invest in the future.
and 5. Because the movie 2012 was probably one of the worse movies alive, convincing everyone that John Stamos should stop producing movies.

I hope these very, very valid points sways you in the right way ;-D

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
If you seriously want to study Bobo, get Bobo's MODERN Coin magic, which ironically enough is not the new one at all. The "new" Bobo (which again, is actually titled Modern) is the original copy of the book (in pages) and the Dover publication cut off the pages due to some reason.

The Dover edition (which is the $10 one you are talking about) does have some pages left out like what RediSpades said. However, many serious coin workers state that the extra money is worth towards those pages missing.

4 Chapters is actually a lot of pages missing, so you cannot state both editions are the same.

I personally do not own either (I am saving towards for the Modern/New book) but I'm sure those extra chapters will help.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
If you seriously want to study Bobo, get Bobo's MODERN Coin magic, which ironically enough is not the new one at all. The "new" Bobo (which again, is actually titled Modern) is the original copy of the book (in pages) and the Dover publication cut off the pages due to some reason.

The Dover edition (which is the $10 one you are talking about) does have some pages left out like what RediSpades said. However, many serious coin workers state that the extra money is worth towards those pages missing.

4 Chapters is actually a lot of pages missing, so you cannot state both editions are the same.

I personally do not own either (I am saving towards for the Modern/New book) but I'm sure those extra chapters will help.

I don't like to discredit you or anything, but they are both Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. The one with "New" at the beginning is the SAME except there are four additional chapters. As far as what those four chapters are, I don't have the book on me right now, but I will try and get the answer to you as quickly as possible. (I will PM the one who asked it and I will post it here).

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Four Additional Chapters

magicref.tripod.com said:
It is my understanding that when Magic Inc. renewed the copyright for The New Modern Coin Magic, they didn't realize this didn't include the previous version of the book, Modern Coin Magic. Dover publishers has taken the shorter public domain Modern Coin Magic and published it in paperback form.

The four additional chapters are Lessons in Coin Magic, Selected Coin Tricks, Trick Coin Miscellany: gimmicks vs. non and Latest Coin Box Magic. If you want to know what they contain click here.

Regards,

ID4

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results