Bottom Deal Grips: Help me out Jason England!

Mar 17, 2008
Norway
Hi

I have been practising bottom dealing for some time now, and I have been using Marlo's masters grip. But as I have watched alot of videos of the best doing bottom deals, I have noticed that most of them use the erdnase grip; Steve Forte, Ricky Jay and I think Jason England used it in the 1 on 1 video(I have only seen the trailer). I am sure different grips have their own advantages for different uses, but to be blunt: Is the Erdnase grip superior to the masters grip. It would seem that way to me when I think about it. 1. when you break the card loose, it is more covered in the front by the Erdnase grip, and 2. you only have to move two fingers to let it out, as apposed to three with the masters grip.
If anyone have some experience in this area please give me some tips.

If you have a favorite grip, method, tell me and why you think this is better.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
I prefer the Master Grip to be honest. The Erdnase grip is a bit unstable for my tastes, and I think you get more knuckle flash when you push out the bottom card. However, I think a good bottom deal grip is something that is specific to your own hands. Dai Vernon said that the best bottom deal he ever saw was Dr Elliott's, who used a straddle grip, but in my hands that feels a bit awkward, and I don't see many other people using it either.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I do a strike bottom deal from the Erdnase grip - I find it to be most comfortable for tops, seconds and bottoms (I probably won't start practicing the centre just yet). It's not like you have to do everything exactly as taught. Modify it to suit your needs.

Sep 30, 2008
I believe I read one of Forte's friends (mr. z or Jason) say on a forum that Steve uses a modified erdnase grip because it fits his longer fingers better. For me it's mechanics grip.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I grip the deck with my pinky and the fleshy part of the bottom of my thumb. That way all of my fingers up front can move out of the way for the deal.

If you're gripping with your pinky, does that mean your taking the card out the front of the deck?

Sep 2, 2007
London
Thanks for that Nexusmagic. Personally, I wouldn't use that particular technique for a standard dealing-round-the-table gambling demonstration as the take feels a bit unnatural in my hands. However, I can see applications as a switch or a force, or maybe for dealing the flop in Texas Hold 'Em.

Anyway, many thanks for sharing...another deal to add to my collection.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
If you'd like Jason England to help you out, you should help him out by purchasing the 1-on-1 tutorial.

Other than that, each grip has its own advantage over another, there is no "ultimate/superior" grip. Each magician/performer will find that they are more comfortable and fluid using one; when that grip is discovered that is the one he or she should use.

Regards,
Ben

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results