Boycotting 2009 F.I.S.M

I think most people are missing a very large point. The point being a moral and ethical one.

I'm on the chinese side of this. If FISM, standing for all that is good about our industry and art, is knowningly going into arangements with an orginazation engaging in activity that 99.9% of us consider to be unethical, then FISM is guilty by association.

Would you support a childrens charity event that is headed by Michael Jackson and a bunch of known child offending Catholic Priests? I highly doubt you'd be caught dead within a 5 city block radius of the event. Same applies to our FISM case.

We should probably band togther and all write letters of concern to FISM's organisers. If enough of us complain, it may just be what is needed to turn the tides in this event.

While I agree with Sinful in the fact that many of us may not be attending FISM or supporting it, but we are all connected to it via our interests and hobby: Magic. Because of that invested interest we are obligated to voice a concern where we feel there should be one.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm with the alcoholic Slovak on this one: Unlike with YouTube, this is precisely the sort of issue one can do something about.
I'm on the chinese side of this. If FISM, standing for all that is good about our industry and art, is knowningly going into arangements with an orginazation engaging in activity that 99.9% of us consider to be unethical, then FISM is guilty by association.

And here I thought I'd once again have to stand alone.

And . . . *plop*.

Hey Steerpike!

Got an over/under on when the next "let's ban YouTube exposure" thread starts up?

Feh! I give it a week.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Im on the side of Penny on this one.
1. I understand the problem and what not.
2. I heard from Richard Mo, one of the better close up magicians of Hong Kong (or even Asia. Hes almost at the level of Zenneth Kok), that he had tried to sign up to perform in FISM as one of the acts or competitors. As everyone knows, you are required to send in a audition video to show whether or not you "got the stuff". Richard got rejected, BUT he said that the FISM auditioners took his video and taught their own students his material. I got really offended when I first heard this and now Im kinda on the "wtf" with FISM.

Sep 1, 2007
2. I heard from Richard Mo, one of the better close up magicians of Hong Kong (or even Asia. Hes almost at the level of Zenneth Kok), that he had tried to sign up to perform in FISM as one of the acts or competitors. As everyone knows, you are required to send in a audition video to show whether or not you "got the stuff". Richard got rejected, BUT he said that the FISM auditioners took his video and taught their own students his material. I got really offended when I first heard this and now Im kinda on the "wtf" with FISM.

Assuming that's true, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Over the last year or two I've been hearing some very unflattering stories about FISM in general. It's a shame so few magicians actually have the balls to stand up for what's right.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Yeah it's too bad he can't really sue them for doing that. It's really sleazy to reject somebody and then teach their material without their permission to somebody else.

Feb 15, 2008
Actually, many magic organizations have been hiding their exposure crimes. The SAM once openly praised an exposure site, and have been refusing to take action on the link in Encarta 97, which directly points the user to a large exposure site. The 'College of Magic' has been accepting money from exposure sites behind it's back. Many more examples of this. Search around.

BTW for more info: http://www.nomagicexposure.com/

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results