Bringing People to Jesus through Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2007
I don't see magic as brainwashing, or mid control in any sort of way, but I do see how it could be (and is) used deceptively.

I agree with you, however, religion is most certainly indoctrination when it comes to those Sunday schools and youth camps. Especially with kids under 8 years of age.

urban

Sep 30, 2008
I agree with you, however, religion is most certainly indoctrination when it comes to those Sunday schools and youth camps. Especially with kids under 8 years of age.

urban

Not really. If the parents want the kids to do it and allow them to do it then it's not indoctrination......

Sep 4, 2007
It's one thing to discuss or debate the merits of a teacher or company or product. It's another thing entirely to deliberately insult one person's or many peoples' belief system.

True, though I never took part in insulting anyone's belief system.

Neither side (faithful or faithless) should be participating in such distasteful banter. It's damaging to the community and only proves to draw divisive lines amongst us.

I think there is merit in having a debate, and even more merit in learning how the other side thinks, which with Rabid's simple but effective post, shows how often the logical side is completely disregarded as 'Faithless.'

I implore every person who has participated in this thread and read my post to think twice about the things they say here and the manner in which they say them.

Nothing in this last two pages is immature or damaging, and anyone who can't handle a little sarcasm needs to be swaddled by their parents and put back in their crib.

In essence....can't we all just...get along?

No, not all members can; And nor should you expect them to.

urban

Sep 1, 2007
By using magic to bring people to religion, I think, makes one no better than people like Sylvia Brown. Quite honestly, it makes me sick and rather angry.

Sep 30, 2008
No matter how angry or sick or sad or mad or bad it may make you feel, people will do it with your approval or without your (or anyone else's but God's) approval.

Sep 4, 2007
Not really. If the parents want the kids to do it and allow them to do it then it's not indoctrination......

ummmm..................ok, let's look at what you just said logically.

If a parent says so...........hmmmm.

By that logic then Phoenix Sinclair's young life didn't end in a horrific murder but by her parent's wishes.

Yes I am taking it to the extreme there but yes, even with parental consent it is indeed indoctrination. The child does not have a choice, nor the intelligence to question; And it is definitely not encouraged to question.

urban

Sep 4, 2007
urban,

Seems like you took my post personally.

Why?

Your post came across as defensive on the side of not encouraging healthy debate which is what is happening now. I apologize if I seem harsh, but then I like to push buttons in order to get people to question.

No matter how angry or sick or sad or mad or bad it may make you feel, people will do it with your approval or without your (or anyone else's but God's) approval.

Now your assuming on all of us that we are all under God's thumb. Please don't make up my mind for me that implying god has the final say. That is your belief, not mine.

urban

Feb 12, 2008
Your post came across as defensive on the side of not encouraging healthy debate which is what is happening now. I apologize if I seem harsh, but then I like to push buttons in order to get people to question.

urban

No, I absolutely encourage healthy debate. Perhaps this is where we actually agree - these forums are probably not the best place to debate religion.

And as far as your button-pushing goes, the only thing you're making ME question is "what does urban have against religious people?"

But then again, that's just me.

Sep 30, 2008
Parents are in charge of their kids and are obligated to be in charge of their kids until age 18. It's what they want for them. Besides do most kids have the intelligence at age 8 (or under) to decide what religion they want to be a part of? It's the parents job to raise their kids how they want to and what they believe is best for them. Not what you consider to be "indoctrination"......

Feb 12, 2008
Parents are in charge of their kids and are obligated to be in charge of their kids until age 18. It's what they want for them. Besides do most kids have the intelligence at age 8 (or under) to decide what religion they want to be a part of? It's the parents job to raise their kids how they want to and what they believe is best for them. Not what you consider to be "indoctrination"......

I think it's only indoctrination if the parents are Christians.

Sep 30, 2008
Read my post again. It's up to the parents. They're in charge of their kid until age 18. That's how it is......

D

Deleted member 2755

I'm closing this because numerous people, including the thread originator, have asked that it be closed. At the end of the day, this is not really a place for discussion about religion - it is, of course, a magic forum - but all views on religion must of course be respected.

Now normally I wouldn't put this at the end of my posts, but it fits too well here.... Let's get back to the magic. ;)

-Doug

DANA HOCKING FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results