Brotherhood vs. Society Of Magicians

Hey guys, wanted to ask a simple question.
Could anyone explain to me without a bias answer the difference between the Society of American Magicians, and the International Brotherhood of Magicians.
I know that they work together have have a huge mixed convention every few years but what is the difference between them. I have always been solo in my learnings of magic and for the past month have been thinking about joining the Brotherhood until i remembered the Society of American magicians.
So could anyone just tell me the difference or advantages of one over the other.
Thanks alot in advance.

Dec 10, 2007
Good question. From my experiences with S.A.M. and I.B.M. I've found that SAM is more of a share and learn type deal. Everyone perfroms what they are currently working on, (even if everyone else has seen it a thousand times) and you share ideas and things like that to help each other improve.

IBM on the other hand, at least the few times I've been, has had lectures. No one else really performs, just the person doing the lecture (and selling his products). They also discuss different events going on.

So in my experience, SAM is more individual feed back and performance based. and IBM is more lecture based, I tend to see a lot more working magicians at the IBM meetings.

Best advice i can give you, go to both and check them out before you decide to join either. IBM charges 10 dollars for non members to come to the lectures (at least the couple of times i went). And its always been free for me to hang out at SAM and share.

If anyone can add anything, please feel free, as i said ive only been to IBM a few times, so i could be way off. I hope this helps.

Victor Cruz

Jun 24, 2008
United States
It must differ from ring to ring, because thats not really true with us. I belong to the IBM and yes it is true we get lectures and discuss events and so on, but also each meeting, we have a section where we show tricks to the rest of the members. We share thoughts and ideas, and maybe possible variations. I do not belong to the S.A.M (or SYM in my case) yet, but i have been looking into it. Hope this helped!

~Nate

Aug 18, 2008
I joined the international brotherhood of magicians yesterday,what I would like to know,is there any reason for me to join the SAM? Is there anyone here that belongs to both? Thanks.

the experience differs from ring to ring for both organizations. They both have a monthly magazine you get for free a. Membership as well as other bennifets such as lectures and times to demonstrate what you are working ok for feedback. Really the important thing here is to have a membership to one if not both groups. It really helps when you are trying to close a gig. If the booking party has a choice between a magician with no credits and a magician who's a member of a guild 9 out of 10 will go with the magician who is a guild member.

Dec 14, 2007
At the national level there is no effective difference except for the magazine. The only differences you are likely to encounter are at the local level - and there is no reaon to assume that what another city does will be the same as yours. My advice is to visit both of your clubs locally - as a guest - and then decide which is the better fit for you.

Brad henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results