Card Clumping

Sep 30, 2014
I recently bought a deck of cards, these. I've always been interested in card flourishing and I want to start to learn how to do it myself.

I've had the cards now for just under two weeks. I've been Faro shuffling them quite a fair bit and getting pretty good at it. But when I attempt to fan the cards, they clump a lot. I'd say 60% of the deck stay in one clump by my thumb and the other 40% spread a little but have smaller clumps in between.

I've also been trying to do a 'simple' colour change, but that is proving to be difficult for me because of this clumping issue.

So my question here: is it me? is it the cards I've bought? Can anyone provide me with some tips / tricks to prevent this from happening?

*Thank you for taking the time to read through. This is my first time posting on the site so if I've posted in the wrong section I fully apologise now*

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
I recently bought a deck of cards, these. I've always been interested in card flourishing and I want to start to learn how to do it myself.

I've had the cards now for just under two weeks. I've been Faro shuffling them quite a fair bit and getting pretty good at it. But when I attempt to fan the cards, they clump a lot. I'd say 60% of the deck stay in one clump by my thumb and the other 40% spread a little but have smaller clumps in between.

I've also been trying to do a 'simple' colour change, but that is proving to be difficult for me because of this clumping issue.

So my question here: is it me? is it the cards I've bought? Can anyone provide me with some tips / tricks to prevent this from happening?

*Thank you for taking the time to read through. This is my first time posting on the site so if I've posted in the wrong section I fully apologise now*

I have the same issue with those cards and I have had them for a long time. I think after a while of cardistry which I have been doing for almost two years now, but you realize that cards are going to clump no matter what. Some cards won't and some cards will. When those cards that do you have to set them a side and leave them alone for maybe a week or so. I tend to do a week. But cards will always clump. The only cars I play with all the time that very rarely clumps is the tally ho's. Every other deck usually clumps.

Nov 26, 2013

My Monarchs do that from time to time, but you just need to put them in their box for like three days without using them. That should do it. If it doesn't do tha trick, then get a bowl, fill it with corn starch, mix the cards around in the bowl really good. Let them sit for a while, then get all the corn starch off of them and put them away for a few hours, this will get all the oils from your hands off of the cards.

Mar 13, 2014
My Monarch did the same thing. Put them away for a week or two, and they will be your favorite deck though because they will fan like a dream!

Aug 26, 2014
Some decks that I use that get old and clump and lose the ability to fan well. I will put them in a paper bag and pour in some unscented dollar store talcum powder and shake them up in the bag. Make sure it mixes thoroughly and pull them out ,shuffle them and knock off the excess powder.
Not sure if those cards are good candidate for that but it works with most decks.

Oct 28, 2014
Hello Zakem! What i have found useful for un-clumping cards is 1. Put them in the box and put them in the freezer overnight, And 2.Before you go to bed at night spread them out on a table and leave them. I hope this helps, and have a good day!

Nov 3, 2014
I have not been using the specific cards you are using. However when I moved to Malta (very hot and humid place) I noticed the same with close all my decks. I had as a routine to always store my decks in the freezer like HaydenSinCollins said.
But for your case the starch will definitely do it. Why those cards are doing that is due to material of the surface which is probably resistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results