Card Control or By Forces Unseen?

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Hey,

I decide to save some money(already started) and buy other book. So I'm decide over Card Control by Arthur Buckley or By Forces Unseen. Card Control is way cheaper than By Forces Unseen, but I did some research and people say that the explantions wasn't written well. This kind of brothers me, so will that be a probelm? These books aren't meant for beginners but I will like a challenga(feels like I spelled that wrong). I only been in Card magic for 8 months now,but will pratice hard. So which book is better?

Thanks

P.S. Didn't find a review on Card Control so if somebody seen one or knows what sleights are taught that will help.

May 3, 2008
I own neither of these books, but from what I've been told from a few friends, Card Control has a wealth of knowledge in terms of technique. The tricks from them are a bit outdated, but it's the technique for intermediate to advanced card handlers that is the main point. The moves are classic and invaluable.
By Forces Unseen is filled with a bunch of knuckle busting, ridiculously difficult tricks that are mainly for practicing and showing off to other magicians. The tricks are high caliber, but no entirely practical to break out in front of lay audience every day. If you're a move monkey, then this is what you're after.
Hope this helps.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
I own neither of these books, but from what I've been told from a few friends, Card Control has a wealth of knowledge in terms of technique. The tricks from them are a bit outdated, but it's the technique for intermediate to advanced card handlers that is the main point. The moves are classic and invaluable.
By Forces Unseen is filled with a bunch of knuckle busting, ridiculously difficult tricks that are mainly for practicing and showing off to other magicians. The tricks are high caliber, but no entirely practical to break out in front of lay audience every day. If you're a move monkey, then this is what you're after.
Hope this helps.

Thanks. I don't have magicans friends to show off. But I going to pick up Card Control because I want to get more into Card techinque more seroiulsy and I do like to work a sleights for months. Its cheaper too. I'll pick up By Forces unseen later on.

One question:SKSleight of Hand. the contents says it teaches the Cardini Change right? Also if I need any help and can ask you right?;)

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Thanks. I don't have magicans friends to show off. But I going to pick up Card Control because I want to get more into Card techinque more seroiulsy and I do like to work a sleights for months.

You should ask yourslef this question:

"Why do I want to know sleights for?"

Think of it as practical, I may buy one or two downloads of some slegihts maybe 1 or twice a month, to keep me a bit occupied, but I really try to perfect those sleights that I use on a daily basis, or on the other hand, practice those sleights that I may include in my act.

Before learning a hard sleight, you should consider if you are going to use it frequently nad it it's usefull. Otherwise you are wasting precious practice time :).

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
You should ask yourslef this question:

"Why do I want to know sleights for?"

Think of it as practical, I may buy one or two downloads of some slegihts maybe 1 or twice a month, to keep me a bit occupied, but I really try to perfect those sleights that I use on a daily basis, or on the other hand, practice those sleights that I may include in my act.

Before learning a hard sleight, you should consider if you are going to use it frequently nad it it's usefull. Otherwise you are wasting precious practice time :).

You have a point RD. I really praticing on my Classic pass, spreas pass, and other controls also. The only problem is that I haven't seen this sleights in anyway. I haven't really found a video that use sleights for Card Control so I don't really know how they look like. I keep that in ming RD........but the book is only like 10 dollars.:)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
All physical skills will complement each other. Learning a difficult sleight, even if you don't use it much, will help you in all areas. Besides, you never know when a different tool will come in handy.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results