Card Dribbling

Nov 12, 2009
Hello all. I'm a beginner and have been practicing with Born To Perform. I don't have much problems with the fundamentals section except for double lifts, palming and dribbling cards.

Double lift problems can generally be solved via enough practice so I'm not worried about it. For palming my hand is just too small and I can't palm a card and have it all covered.

My concern is with card dribbling. I find dribbling the cards an essential skill as it looks like you're mixing up cards to the layman and it looks good too.

The problem I have with dribbling is one of two:

1) The cards fall off in chunks than one by one
2) If I manage to get the cards to fall off in one by one, only the first few cards succeed. The subsequent one gets 'stuck'/'stopped' by either the tip of my middle or ring finger. That is to say the cards fall off on the inner left area (side my thumb is on) but the other end doesn't fall off - it gets stopped by my finger tips.

Any advice from the experienced here is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Nov 12, 2009
That is exactly what I'm doing. I hold the deck with my thumb on the corner of the left that is facing the body, and the middle and ring finger with the ring finger close and almost touching the outer right corner and the middle finger around the middle of the outer side, and only using my thumb to riffle the cards down.

Sep 6, 2009
USA
Welcome to the world of magic! The dvd you have is a good place to start. The secret to good card dribbling is the same as the double lift. Practice! Sounds like there should be more advice, more talk of technique, but every card move has to be adapted to an individual. Spend 30 minutes a day just dribbling cards (whatever technique you choose) and in a week it should be second nature. It can get boring and a little frustrating but you have to work through it and just keep practicing. Have fun with it, it is worth all the effort.

As far as palming goes: If your hand is big enough, when flat with fingers closed, to cover a playing card completely, you can palm. But it is not easy, and I wouldn't recommend learning it yet. Work on the double lift, a control, (hindu shuffle, jog shuffle, etc.) and it will open up a whole world of great card magic.

Nov 12, 2009
Hi all, thanks for the advice. I'll keep practicing the dribbling.

As for palming, my hands are not large enough to cover the card. Small edges can be seen from the side if I close my fingers up, but if I open a little to cover the edges, people can see through my fingers and see a the card. My guess is I can only do the basic palm with misdirection or choose another kind of palm.

Jul 19, 2009

As for palming, my hands are not large enough to cover the card. Small edges can be seen from the side if I close my fingers up, but if I open a little to cover the edges, people can see through my fingers and see a the card. My guess is I can only do the basic palm with misdirection or choose another kind of palm.

if your doing a classic palm, put the hand that your palming with down to your side. that way, the spectator will not be able to see the card being palmed. also try not to make it obvious that you are palming. hope this helps :p

-M.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Double lift problems can generally be solved via enough practice so I'm not worried about it. For palming my hand is just too small and I can't palm a card and have it all covered.

blah! Like other have said, you can palm. A long time ago, I thought I couldn't palm. I thought of the exact same reasons as you. Then, a little over a year ago, after lots of practice, I was able to palm naturally and convincingly. It takes bawls, and confidence. My hand is the perfect size for palming, very big, but I thought it was too small a long time ago. Now, I can one-hand top palm cards with ease, and I use lots of palming methods all the time in tricks I do. It really opens up a new world in card magic.

So there. An inspirational story. Sorry to go all Jerry Springer on ya'

Sep 6, 2009

Try shifting the card towards the right when you palm (Assuming you are right handed) and shift your body in such a way that only the left side can be seen.

BTW: Aren't you the same cheereos from SMC?

umm correct me if Im wrong, but dont you need a X1800 CF master card to run Crossfire, instead of another X1800XT?
with 2xX1800XTs, you wont be able to use the loop-cable, and afaik you need that for X1800s or faster cards...

Oct 23, 2009
Illinios
Hey there... Well on the subject of dribbling the cards. At first it seems rather difficult but after lots of practice I'm sure you'll get it. Also I've started to dribble differently now that I have been doing tricks for quite awhile...if your right handed like me then the way I do it is I first hold the deck in my right hand (as if there going to fall downwards into my left). The positions are my right index finger on top of the deck (forcing pressure), the thumb at the inner pip corner (closest to your body), with the middle finger at the upper left corner, and the other two fingers (the ring & pinky finger) following right of the middle finger.... If done right the middle finger and thumb should run parallel with the long edge of the deck. As you apply pressure with the index finger and release all other four fingers slowly, the cards should fall one by one. But also keep into consideration that selected tricks may use a dribble, and you might need to adjust some things. Hope this helps!! Any other questions just pm me.

Existance

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
hold the deck on opposite corneres, weher no pips are..
That's the way I learned dribbling, and if you can do it this way learn the "real" dribble...

there's no "real" dribble. what the hell are you on about?
If you hold the cards on the edge, or on the corners it's the same. If you're using biddle grip or the riffle shuffle grip, it's still a dribble.

as for palming, you can get away with it, even if you can't completely cover a card by using misdirection. But the amount of control you need for your audience isn't something that can be learnt without performing, so maybe hold off on palming until you've performed for a bit.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
my problem with palming is that my fingers arent fat enough to hide all the gaps even with them pressed together, so if i need a one hand top palm, i will lift the deck with my right hand to show it (and my empty hand), and on the way down and turning to the left, palm the card and drop my hand to the side while directing attention to the deck in my left hand. Also, the gamblers cop is a great way to palm, though more angle restrictive (but not by much).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results