Card Routine

Jul 19, 2008
Hey guys.

I would like to here your input on how to put a certain routine together. I am still a teen so I don't like to carry lots of props around as it seems kind of strange and makes magic unbelievable. My question is how can I put together a magic routine that is fairly easy to carry around and does not involve a serious amount of props.

Although I am best at cards, I love adding variation in my routine, like adding some coin tricks or mentalism.

My ideal running time for this would be 20-25 mins.

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
my biggest advice to you... not quantity, but quality.

This does not mean perfect technique, this does not mean the most popular tricks on the market. What this means is, ask yourself, "have I perfected this effect to the best of my ability." Again, this doest NOT just mean technique.

20-25 minutes... you would be surprised how fast this goes by in a real performance.

With the right patter, the right amount of interaction with your spectators, and with well-placed pauses before a trick's climax, you can easily, yes, EASILY, fill a 20-25 min slot with 4 effects.

What this means is... you can carry with you only a single deck of cards, and blow away a crowd of 5-10 people for 20-25 minutes, doing 4 -5 effects with a single deck of cards.

How do you do this? well, with practice, critique, and with learning how to read people and learning what your style is.

First, start by choosing tricks with similar or slightly similar effects. An ACR moving into coins and flash paper and appearing wine bottles... yeah, not so natural. An ACR flowing into a production of the four of a kind of the selected card, then into a trick with a 4 of a kind (waving the Aces? etc...) is very natural.

Now, once you get down 2-3 tricks that flow naturally and quickly together... all you need is an opener and closer. Both your opener and closer can take time because you have to explain them, and link them to the middle section. Rarely you will see a magician do their opener, and quickly move into the middle section of his or her performance, because you need to give the opener time to set in and let the audience absorb the effect. If you dont, they will either forget the opener, or they will still be so caught up on it, they wont fully enjoy the middle of the routine.

For an opener, you can do something so simple as a coin production. Learn your classic palms, learn various vanishes and productions, use them, show off your skill. This can last anywhere from 1-4 minutes.

As a closer, choose something you are comfortable doing, and present it in a way your audience KNOWS it's the end. THis is a BIG mistake many magicians make. They will do a common closer (card to mouth, card to wallet, etc...) but their presentation doesnt FEEL like a finish. You have to work on this.

I hope this helps.

In summary, not quanity, quality. Quality = rehearsed and critiqued solid routines WITH patter, and at a relaxed pace. Let your audience fully experience and absorb your effects. Speed hurts you in the long run.

Reactions: BruceL1
Jul 19, 2008
That is really helpful. I really have trouble picking an appropriate closer and opener. Those are my main problems. I have referred to the big thread regarding openers. I understand what I need to do, but with closers, I can't think of a real trick that says FINITO!!! with cards...

Nov 10, 2007
my biggest advice to you... not quantity, but quality.

This does not mean perfect technique, this does not mean the most popular tricks on the market. What this means is, ask yourself, "have I perfected this effect to the best of my ability." Again, this doest NOT just mean technique.

20-25 minutes... you would be surprised how fast this goes by in a real performance.

With the right patter, the right amount of interaction with your spectators, and with well-placed pauses before a trick's climax, you can easily, yes, EASILY, fill a 20-25 min slot with 4 effects.

What this means is... you can carry with you only a single deck of cards, and blow away a crowd of 5-10 people for 20-25 minutes, doing 4 -5 effects with a single deck of cards.

How do you do this? well, with practice, critique, and with learning how to read people and learning what your style is.

First, start by choosing tricks with similar or slightly similar effects. An ACR moving into coins and flash paper and appearing wine bottles... yeah, not so natural. An ACR flowing into a production of the four of a kind of the selected card, then into a trick with a 4 of a kind (waving the Aces? etc...) is very natural.

Now, once you get down 2-3 tricks that flow naturally and quickly together... all you need is an opener and closer. Both your opener and closer can take time because you have to explain them, and link them to the middle section. Rarely you will see a magician do their opener, and quickly move into the middle section of his or her performance, because you need to give the opener time to set in and let the audience absorb the effect. If you dont, they will either forget the opener, or they will still be so caught up on it, they wont fully enjoy the middle of the routine.

For an opener, you can do something so simple as a coin production. Learn your classic palms, learn various vanishes and productions, use them, show off your skill. This can last anywhere from 1-4 minutes.

As a closer, choose something you are comfortable doing, and present it in a way your audience KNOWS it's the end. THis is a BIG mistake many magicians make. They will do a common closer (card to mouth, card to wallet, etc...) but their presentation doesnt FEEL like a finish. You have to work on this.

I hope this helps.

In summary, not quanity, quality. Quality = rehearsed and critiqued solid routines WITH patter, and at a relaxed pace. Let your audience fully experience and absorb your effects. Speed hurts you in the long run.
Listen to this guy he just gave you some aweosme advice

Reactions: BruceL1
Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Also you got me thinking, how can you present the trick, a simple effect like card to wallet (can a card to pocket accomplish this?) that makes the audience feel it is a closer to your performance?

Its a good point, closers must feel like one, not jus powerful.

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
For a card closer you may want to have a large table display like Any Ace assembly, I Like Royal Assembly by Josh Jay and Royal Scam by John Bannon since they both end with a royal flush which screams closer for gambling.

Anything That ends in new deck order or red black separation scream closer, Triumph can close as its a face up face down separation, Anything from the road runner cull dvd can do those.

A multiple climax effects are also great like trumped triumph by Josh Jay, or Punken Droker by Paul Cummings.

Your closure should be fairly examinable, at least what they would want to examine should be.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results