Card Steal Conundrum

Nov 27, 2009
I have a problem that I can't quite work out on my own. I've been wrestling with this puzzle for a while now and haven't come up with a good solution. The puzzle is this: I have a sandwich routine similar to Paul Harris's Grasshopper and for the end of the trick I need to obtain an extra card. It is nearly impossible to do the routine with the extra card there from the beginning, so that is out of the question. (Lots of vanishes and reappearances of cards via "fun" sleight of hand.) The trick also can't be done with the deck in hand, again due to the moves involved, so I need a reason to go to the deck and I haven't found one yet. How would you obtain an extra card in the middle of a trick via pure sleight of hand and misdirection?

One last bit, I'd like to be able to do this without a table. :)

Oct 13, 2012
Lithuania
So, if you use no table, how do you hold the deck ( you've mentioned that this trick is done without a deck in your hands) ? If you give it to the spectators: Just hold it in your pocket and in the middle of the trick when you need that extra card reach into your pocket and top palm the card, then take the deck out and ask your spectator to hold it as you don't need it now. :) that's how I would do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2009
Good ideas! I don't know why I had not thought of the pocket thing before. Usually if I can't hold the deck I hand it to someone, and as you can see, that would cause issues with the steal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results