Card Tricks Are BORING!

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Ok, here the way i look at things. Everyone is living in this box of how card effects should look like. Every laymen, when asked if they wanna see a card trick think about, select > lose > find the card. But us as magicians should expand that box, i try to do that everytime, card trick can be so much more than you think it is. The great Derren Brown for example, uses Cards to show off his memory techniques, his skill to influence the subconscious mind etc . A card trick doesn't necessarily means the spec. has to pick a card, the Royal Assembly is a great example for this one. Also, even when i use the traditional way of doing a card trick, the select,lost, find concept, the spec. are usually amazed by the way i used to find their card rather than, me actually finding their card. I don't know if that makes any sense, for example, instead of them going "Oh my god ! How did you find my card", they go "Oh my god, how did this different *random* card change into my selection under my hand" ...

So yeah, i don't find card trick boring but that's just me ...

Aug 4, 2010
If you think about it, every single card trick we know as a collective follows the same plot. Select a card, remember the card, lose the card, find the card, rinse and repeat

Yes that is exactly what card tricks are....
facepalm.gif

and football is just fat men running from one point to the other with a egg...Basketball is just large men jumping and trying to shot a ball into a basket... Wrestling is just men with their underwear rolling around and hugging each other....

Drawings are just boring...If you think about it, every single drawing we know as a collective follows the same plot. Get a substrate, deliberate, draw,rinse and repeat

Magic is just this over and over again.
Production
Vanish
Change in position
Change in material
Change in form
Change in color
Change in size
Change in temperature
Change in weight
Magnetism
Levitation
Penetration
Restoration
Remote control
Sympathy
Divination (Comprising all feats of mental magic)
Prediction

boring....

Sep 7, 2008
Many people are under the impression card tricks are boring. For me, that couldn't be further from the truth. I've been hired to do ONLY card tricks time and time again.

Jon Armstrong has interesting views on the selecting a card procedure he shared in an issue of Reel Magic Magazine. It gives a new look and it's not as "boring."

Dec 3, 2010
I think the tricks are mostly boring to people who know about them in-depth, for people unfamiliar with them they might be more interesting! But for a pro of course they lose their "magic" a little.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results