Cards Clumping!

Jan 22, 2011
Hi, I bought a deckONE and received it about a week ago. It's clumping! Any tips on how to get them to not clump, Besides fanning powder?

Apr 1, 2009
California
I am? :D

I didn't have much time to comment. So "don't suck" is all my thoughts in a nutshell. As you get better with cards, you'll notice your cards last longer. You handle them more responsibly. You don't drop them as often. They don't bend as often. etc... Also you'll develop the habit of staying clean while handling the cards. So yes, don't suck. When I was learning, my decks went from having a lifespan of a day or two, to a month or two, maybe longer. depending on if I'm learning new moves or not.

Most cards clump VERY fast, but this is not a result of the cards, it has to do with how even the oil of your hands spread across the cards. So, they'll go from that buttery smooth feeling after just opening them, to very clumpy. Then after more responsible handling, the oils will spread well, and you'll get to a very nice feel to the cards again. a more controlled smoothness. This happens to be my favorite stage.

helpful?

Sep 9, 2010
I am? :D

I didn't have much time to comment. So "don't suck" is all my thoughts in a nutshell. As you get better with cards, you'll notice your cards last longer. You handle them more responsibly. You don't drop them as often. They don't bend as often. etc... Also you'll develop the habit of staying clean while handling the cards. So yes, don't suck. When I was learning, my decks went from having a lifespan of a day or two, to a month or two, maybe longer. depending on if I'm learning new moves or not.

Most cards clump VERY fast, but this is not a result of the cards, it has to do with how even the oil of your hands spread across the cards. So, they'll go from that buttery smooth feeling after just opening them, to very clumpy. Then after more responsible handling, the oils will spread well, and you'll get to a very nice feel to the cards again. a more controlled smoothness. This happens to be my favorite stage.

helpful?
Much better Asher. haha

Feb 4, 2008
I kind of disagree with you Asher...I mean you are correct to an extent but overall different cards will clump differently. I handle lots of cards and I go out of my way to "suck" if you can believe it. What I mean is that when I review I usually try to practice stuff that is really hard for me. In other words, stuff I suck at. Also, I rarely bother to "clean up" before practicing with a deck I am reviewing. So I do everything you mention not doing. Never the less, some cards clump for me and some don't. My best guess....

Obviously the way the cards are cut has an impact. The more precise the cutting the less chance of a clumpy deck. So right off the bat any high quality deck will be less likely to clump than a low quality one.

But Deck Ones are supposed to be high quality Q1 right....so why are they clumping on you after a week? My honest guess is that that final finish will make a difference to certain people in certain atmospheric conditions. Yeah I know it is only a few molecules of difference between say a Linoid Finish and the standard applicant put on an 808 but it may make a difference to certain people. I honestly think that different finishes react differently to certain skin ph levels, skin oils, and what kinds of soaps, sanitizers, and moisturizers you use. I have no evidence other than anecdotal but I know for a fact that the v.4s clumped on about 10% of the people who posted their thoughts on the deck. I treated my v.4 like a trashy tart on a street corner and while the stock totally gave out and the edges were all brown and fuzzy they still fanned like a dream. Other people had those clump within a day or two of getting them out of the box.

I agree with the advice about using the Faro to even out the oils on the deck but you may just have to accept the possibility that Deck Ones just don't work for you. In that case just shop around for a deck that looks and handles similar and maybe that will be a better deck for you.

Jan 22, 2011
It's cool :) thanks for the info. But I still don't think its my ability to handle cards. I am not and expert at cardistry, but I am also not a novice. I am in that happy medium. Anyways I will try my best to follow you advice.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
DeckONE and Sentinals get like that. I have one of each open that I've used for about a week each and they're both very sticky but I like that for cardistry.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Are you serious? You review a deck by handling the deck poorly? I think that's the best way to not get an accurate review. How do you know you're doing equal "damage" to each? Yes of course each deck needs handled differently. But yeah... I don't use custom decks. But I regularly use different sorts of cards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results