Carrying multiple decks around

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
I often find myself carrying around 2 or 3 decks, and putting 3 decks in different pockets can get uncomfortable. If I have a bag on me I use a box I made from cardboard(not the best, but it works and doesnt look too bad), but Im wondering what you guys do when you take a couple of decks out with you. Also, if you do just throw 2 or more decks in a pocket or couple of pockets, do you get a card clip for each of them? That sounds a bit expensive.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I just deal with it being uncomfortable. I usually take like 5 or 6 with me everyday and I just got use to it. lol

I just deal with it being uncomfortable. I usually take like 5 or 6 with me everyday and I just got use to it. lol

I'm curious, why so many?? I normally only carry just one deck and sometimes ill also have a small sleeve with a few gaffs. Only sometimes do I carry 2 decks but that's only if I plan on performing with a gimmicked/gaff deck.

Nov 19, 2010
I wear cargo shorts so I have plenty of pockets numerous packs in 1 pocket gets to uncomfortable

Feb 4, 2008
When I go out and about I generally use a card clip and one deck. If I have a moment during the day to practice I am good to go and if an opportunity for an impromptu performance arises I have quite a range of effects I am prepared to perform with only one deck. When I carry more than one deck(two or three) it is usually because I am planning a performance. In this case I don't use card clips. Card clips won't save that much ware and tear on a deck if you are literally throwing a deck in a pocket just prior to a performance. Furthermore, I personally think they slow down my performance. Even if it is only for a moment I feel the extra time is still wasted in my performance.

If you have a purpose for your card clip such as wanting to present yourself as a "class act card mechanic," then you should have a card clip for each deck and the card clips should be of the same model. I personally subscribe to the theory that you should not carry more than one deck in the eyes of the spectator. It brings to much "heat" on the decks you use. Carrying two or more decks is mostly useful for swapping stacked decks, trick decks(IDs, Brainwaves, ect), and normal inspectable decks. In that case all the decks should "look" identical.

As for the pocket management...that all comes down to how you dress and how many pockets you have available to you. What works for some won't work for others.

Same here. The only thing I can really suggest is more pockets. :D I think the reason for me carrying around so many decks though is because I practice with cards constantly like 24 - 7 and never really stop so my cards get worn out pretty quick and I kinda like to change throughout the decks so that the other decks I'm not using have time to dry out from the moisture of my hands and bend back into place. When performing though I usually only take out one normal bicycle deck and use that. A single deck will easily last a full performance for me. I only have so many different decks because playing with cards is what I do with almost every spare minute of my time. I guess these are the specific reasons for each deck:
1 deck that is kinda of old and clumpy that I don't mind getting too ruined so that I can practice with it
1 deck that handles extremely well for card flourishing
1 deck that I can totally ruin or use to put duplicates in other decks
1 deck of normal bikes that I use for performances
1 deck of backup bikes just in case my normal ones get ruined unexpectedly
1 deck of bikes that's an invisible deck because that's gotta be one of the greatest outs ever if you screw up

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I think the reason for me carrying around so many decks though is because I practice with cards constantly like 24 - 7 and never really stop so my cards get worn out pretty quick and I kinda like to change throughout the decks so that the other decks I'm not using have time to dry out from the moisture of my hands and bend back into place.

Same here. That's why I carry around many decks with me. Not to mention I have a couple of decks that are setup with gimmicks or setup tricks such as french kiss, distortion, or angle zero.

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
I used to have a problem carrying multiple decks around. I would have to put one in each front pocket and one in my back pocket. Eventually I just got a jacket that has pockets on the front and sides. If you can find something like this http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/media/images/skate/product/flipwarhead.jpg you'll be set. I usually carry around three decks. One "clean" deck with no gimmicks of any kind. One gimmicked deck. And one deck that will either be stacked or serve as a backup set of cards. Cool part about wearing a jacket like the one that I have is that you can place gimmicks right in the front pockets with the decks that they go along with. It saves me space in my pockets for dare I say normal everyday objects like my phone and my iPod. The best part is that your decks and gimmicks have a greater chance of not being damaged this way. As they are place out of your pants pockets where they are exposed to body heat and constant bending/motion. And the decks that they are in your pocket with also help your loose gimmicked cards retain their shape. Now this is just something that I prefer after trying it out. Granted that everyone is different. But doing things this way has saved me worry and pocket space. It also allows me to sit down without moving decks around first which is always nice.

Apr 14, 2011
Heres my advice. Get a PRO Carrier from Vanishing Inc, and use that plus a deck in a Joe Porper clip or something. Thats what I do. More than 2 decks is ludicrous.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
This whole topic is making me realize why a lot of people look at magicians as losers.

Carrying around that many decks of cards and props on you is just redundant and silly. If and when you are going to perform, you should only have maybe one deck, maybe not even one.. Just borrow an old deck of cards from somebody..

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
This whole topic is making me realize why a lot of people look at magicians as losers.

Carrying around that many decks of cards and props on you is just redundant and silly. If and when you are going to perform, you should only have maybe one deck, maybe not even one.. Just borrow an old deck of cards from somebody..

I do cardistry more than magic so the main reason I carry more than 1 deck is so I can have 1 nicer deck and 1 deck i can beat up when I practice springs, pressure fans, lepaul spreads, and other things like a super long anaconda which I probably will drop a ton of cards.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Just carrying around decks of cards in general is extremely weird. I've never met any layman who decides to bring a deck of cards with them when going out for the day.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results