Center Deal

Oct 21, 2007
Boulder, CO, USA
Hey guys. This is my first post so sorry if i didn't do something right. I'm interested in learning how to perform the center deal and I was looking for some input on the best source for learning this sleight. I heard that the book Expert Card Techniue has a pretty good explanation and was wondering if this would be a good starting place or what other options there are. Thanks so much for your help.

Brian

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Guy Hollingworth explains it on Drawing Deception Rooms I think ;) But not just get it for the second deal.. It is an incredible book !

Aris

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
Dai Vernon Revelation series- volume 12

"The Professor" as most people know him by talks about the center deal and how he first learned it, then he explains it.

FYI it is really hard to do (get ready for lots of hours of practice!)

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Dai Vernon Revelation series- volume 12

"The Professor" as most people know him by talks about the center deal and how he first learned it, then he explains it.

FYI it is really hard to do (get ready for lots of hours of practice!)

More like months to get is smooth and deceptive!

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Months? Try years....
anyway if you're interested you should check out Darwin Ortiz, Jason England, Steve Forte and Derek Delgaudio
Some of the best center dealers i've seen.

Sep 1, 2007
If you're interested in false deals, I heartily recommend Wesley James' "Enchantments" book. There's second deals, bottom deals, second from bottom deals, third deals, centre deals...and then there's the section on passes.

Not to mention all the other great stuff in the book as well. Wesley explains everything in great detail, nicely illustrated, loads of sleights, tricks, routines and great information. A much overlooked classic if you ask me.

Cheers,
David.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
If you're interested in false deals, I heartily recommend Wesley James' "Enchantments" book. There's second deals, bottom deals, second from bottom deals, third deals, centerer deals...and then there's the section on passes.

Not to mention all the other great stuff in the book as well. Wesley explains everything in great detail, nicely illustrated, loads of sleights, tricks, routines and great information. A much overlooked classic if you ask me.

Cheers,
David.
Wesley James is famous? when i was 16 years old going to Tannens magic shop in New York he was the man who showed me his "Pen and Coin "routine I still use today.21 years latter. he wasn't an open book for every body and it took me countless visits before i was allowed to stand among his small 3 man huddle he always seemed to be in in one corner of the shop,always looking over their shoulders when i walked in. it was great to be one of the guys looking over my shoulder every time the magic shop elevator bell rang.(The elevator door opened right into the magic shop)......I want that Book.

Oct 21, 2007
Boulder, CO, USA
What do you want to do with it after you learn it?

I really enjoy doing card cheat routines for people along with my magic. I hadn't even really thought about the center deal until the other day when I was performing for a man and as a i was showing him the bottom deal. He asked me what would happen if someone cut the deck and I immediately went into a demonstration of multiple types of passes. I began to explain to him that there are a some people who can even deal from the center of a deck after it's been cut. He asked me why I couldn't. I didn't have an answer.

Thanks to everyone for their help, I found some great resources.

Sep 1, 2007
Nate:

The book is pure gold - you'll love every minute of it! Wesley has also now done a full DVD treatment of Erdnase with Simon Lovell as well which is very enlightening.

Cheers
David.

Sep 2, 2007
London
The best resources on centre dealing that I personally own are Ed Marlo's "Seconds, Centres and Bottoms" book (also published in the compiled book "Revolutionary Card Technique"), Allan Ackerman's "Advanced Card Control Volume 2: False Deals" DVD, and Richard Turner's "The Cheat" DVD. There are also methods of faking a centre deal, and some good resources for these kind of moves are Jason England and Paul Wilson's "Unreal Work" DVD, and Guy Hollingworth's "Drawing Room Deceptions" book (or "Routines" video). I understand that Martin A Nash also has some good work on this, but I haven't seen it personally, so I can't vouch for it.

fake center deal

Guy Hollingworth explains it on Drawing Deception Rooms I think ;) But not just get it for the second deal.. It is an incredible book !

Aris

Most center deal demonstrations are actually fake. Guy Hollingworths version is fake as well but a good one. I belive that the real center deal is the hardest thing you can do with the deck of card and I just wonder how useful it actually is...

Sep 2, 2007
London
Most center deal demonstrations are actually fake. Guy Hollingworths version is fake as well but a good one. I belive that the real center deal is the hardest thing you can do with the deck of card and I just wonder how useful it actually is...

Guy Hollingworth's demonstration is fake only in that he doesn't use the conventional card table centre deal technique. He uses Martin Nash's multiple-location deal. However, in his demonstration, when he says he's dealing the four aces from four different parts of the deck, he's telling the truth.

And, to be honest, while the centre deal would be incredibly difficult to perform in a real game, in a magic performance, where you can verbally misdirect and don't have to comply with proper card table procedure, it's not really as hard as all that. It takes practice, but I think a few hours of assiduous work give you a deal that you could get away with in the context of a well-structured performance. Personally, I think the hardest things to do with cards are these "knacky" moves like the Anti-Faro that can't really be explained but that you just have to play around with to get the feel for.

Guy Hollingworth's demonstration is fake only in that he doesn't use the conventional card table centre deal technique. He uses Martin Nash's multiple-location deal. However, in his demonstration, when he says he's dealing the four aces from four different parts of the deck, he's telling the truth.

And, to be honest, while the centre deal would be incredibly difficult to perform in a real game, in a magic performance, where you can verbally misdirect and don't have to comply with proper card table procedure, it's not really as hard as all that. It takes practice, but I think a few hours of assiduous work give you a deal that you could get away with in the context of a well-structured performance. Personally, I think the hardest things to do with cards are these "knacky" moves like the Anti-Faro that can't really be explained but that you just have to play around with to get the feel for.

But I can honestly not think of one use for the center deal apart from as a gambling demonstration.

Sep 2, 2007
London
But I can honestly not think of one use for the center deal apart from as a gambling demonstration.

I think you may be right......unless you use it as a stepping stone to the estimation centre deal, which has almost unlimited uses. However, I see the centre deal as a kind of a rite of passage and fundamentally an end in itself for a sleight-of-hand artist.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results