Chair Vanish (with twist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mystifier1

Actually, no.

It is the magician's responsibility to eliminate potential methods. If someone sees me do a card trick, and decides it can be accomplished with a palm, a pass and a top change - I have failed EVEN IF the trick is not accomplished with a palm, a pass or a top change.

And that is the error of Criss Angel's ways. While he swears he uses no camera tricks,the fact that is how the public perceives him is his damnation.

When the audience has an answer - a valid one - regardless of whether or not it is correct, you as the magician have failed.

I do not know what this means. You cannot copyright an effect.

Brad Henderson

Every illusion can be accomplished with a camera trick so its easy to say its one when someone doesn't know the method

M

Mystifier1

:Comments from Youtube:
-B3Illusions (4 days ago)
oh lol mb then xD
great job only sad thing is you should copyright yours and report stoveice for copyright infingement stoveice's one he used a cut
LamontMcGee (2 days ago)
Thanks...I talked to him about it and he removed the video from his channels-

This makes me laugh, yet screams hypocrisy.

It mad me to becuase the video had only been on there for a couple of hours and the imitators just had to make one. That kid stoveice used a cut and it was obvious it looked nothing liked mine

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
It mad me to becuase the video had only been on there for a couple of hours and the imitators just had to make one. That kid stoveice used a cut and it was obvious it looked nothing liked mine

If it looked nothing like yours, why did you care?

Every illusion can be accomplished with a camera trick so its easy to say its one when someone doesn't know the method

You are missing the point buddy. An Illusion should be done, and it may seem like a foreign idea to you, for other people. Other people should be in person watching you.

I'd LOVE to see someone tell me my biddle trick is a camera trick. When I just did it for them. In person.

-ThrallMind

Feb 8, 2008
First- I have corrected my last errors. i did not correct the past because I would have to re upload it and im not about to do that.

Second- i dont care how you spell your name. That just goes to show you how much I dont care for you.

Haha, ok lamont. Let's get a couple of things straight:

1: Nobody wants to fight with you or flame you. We want to see an honest effort to prove that what you are doing can be done live. All of the greatest magicians accepted the challenge of doing magic under test conditions.

2: If you corrected your errors, then re-uploading a video with the corrections is not a difficult thing to do. As long as you have the movie file with the new corrections, uploading it to youtube is a simple task that takes a matter of minutes. If you need help, I will be glad to assist.

3: Haha, your last comment makes me chuckle. Just imagine a five-year-old child belittling a good argument by saying random stuff like "i dont care for you". Honestly, I don't care for him either. Haven't even met John. But I do have the decency and respect to spell his name correctly.

4: We never mentioned that your stuff is fake, camera work, editing, etc. All we said is that we want to see something live. If your "assistant" has a problem with it, then dont tell US to message him. He is YOUR assistant, after all.

5: You mentioned that you like an "unprepared field" but considering the fact that you're in an empty field, setting something up would be just as easy as setting up a stage. Possibly easier.

6: Don't whine about it being you vs. the forums. Makes you look like less of a man.

Thanks for your time, and I'm looking forward to your response. That is, if you're man enough to give me one.

Second- i dont care how you spell your name. That just goes to show you how much I dont care for you.

you are so use to editing your vid's, why can't you just edit your post. :D

for real though:

Everyone is giving you helpful posts, but you are ignoring them.

Even if this is possible live, then why not do that. Make your vid's live. It can't be hard to get someone, even if it is your parents.

And I don't know if it was my angle, but on the replay he put his hand closer to the middle than in the trick. I don't know if that could possibly be part of the editing, because I thought of something different.

I refer you down for a moment.

Kid, you just can't spell, stop lying lol. I'm gonna give you the most useful advice you'll hear in this post... ya ready?... RUN!!! Get out, go now. With every post you just prove people right. You're not helping yourself, even a little. What you say does not matter unless you have proof. If you do stage magic, just tape it. Go! Come back when you get your act together. Go get some magic rehab or something, come on.

Sep 2, 2007
Only the effect is copyrighted before I added the intro and music.

first: You cannot copyright an effect, just the way the effect is shown (The video) or taught (An instructional DVD/book)
2. I'm talking about the intro music and Lance burton talking. THOSE are copyrighted, and you can get in a lot of trouble.

M

Mystifier1

Haha, ok lamont. Let's get a couple of things straight:

1: Nobody wants to fight with you or flame you. We want to see an honest effort to prove that what you are doing can be done live. All of the greatest magicians accepted the challenge of doing magic under test conditions.

2: If you corrected your errors, then re-uploading a video with the corrections is not a difficult thing to do. As long as you have the movie file with the new corrections, uploading it to youtube is a simple task that takes a matter of minutes. If you need help, I will be glad to assist.

3: Haha, your last comment makes me chuckle. Just imagine a five-year-old child belittling a good argument by saying random stuff like "i dont care for you". Honestly, I don't care for him either. Haven't even met John. But I do have the decency and respect to spell his name correctly.

4: We never mentioned that your stuff is fake, camera work, editing, etc. All we said is that we want to see something live. If your "assistant" has a problem with it, then dont tell US to message him. He is YOUR assistant, after all.
5: You mentioned that you like an "unprepared field" but considering the fact that you're in an empty field, setting something up would be just as easy as setting up a stage. Possibly easier.

6: Don't whine about it being you vs. the forums. Makes you look like less of a man.

Thanks for your time, and I'm looking forward to your response. That is, if you're man enough to give me one.
Okay first I will get bake to the "were just helping" part later on in this post. NExt my intro was corrected and you can see that in the next video. Okay now he is not my assistant he is my stage partner. Your right setting up a field is an easy thing to do, but it is less suspicious. When people come to our show then they already assume that the stage is prepared, but many cant say the same for a field.

you are so use to editing your vid's, why can't you just edit your post. :D

This guy doesn't seem like he is here to help

burrrrrrn!
Seriously this guy is just here to instigate.

You will get bake? Dude... omg, just go man, come on. You don't take anyones advice that IS trying to help you and that's starting to become a huge point. You're just b***hing now. The field is empty dude, get it? It's the fact that you are not performing this trick for a live audience, and you're dodging it with the stupidest of explanations. I don't care if you do this trick on stage, in a field, at the damn subway station, surrounded by a flock of geese. Just do it with some kind of audience watching. You're going after the wrong points that people are trying to make because you can't argue the real ones. Keep this up if it makes you feel better, but eventually you're gonna end up 40 years old asking children if they wanna see some magic before they call you a hack and steal your wallet.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Your right setting up a field is an easy thing to do, but it is less suspicious. When people come to our show then they already assume that the stage is prepared, but many cant say the same for a field.

What people come to your show? All I've ever seen is you and your "stage partner." If you have actual shows, and are already on a season two, surely there is one video where we can see and hear an audience.

Copperfield performs on stage, McBride performs on stage, even Criss Angel used to perform on stage. And they are doing pretty well for themselves...

Stop making excuses.

-ThrallMind

Jul 10, 2008
NExt my intro was corrected and you can see that in the next video.

Your "Next" video? How about you focus on fixing the one we're talking about first?!

When people come to our show then they already assume that the stage is prepared, but many cant say the same for a field.

You should reword this statement to "There aren't any who can say the field is prepared" Because there aren't any spectators ever there! Of course they can't say it's prepared if they aren't there to begin with.

This guy doesn't seem like he is here to help

This statement makes no sense either, because even if he did offer help you wouldn't take his advice. Everyone who has offered you help you have taken their advice as an insult, then you defend yourself with a statement that makes no sense at all. Second, how about you put on some "big boy panties", because he was joking with you anyway. That's what the smiley face meant as well as the "for real though" that he followed it up with.

Again, no.

The "illusion" is more than just the concept of the trick. It is the entire mise en scene as presented to the audience. A smart magician (or a magician with a smart director) will present his (or her) illusion in a manner which rules out the possibility of camera tricks to the audience.

One technique, which is time honored, is the use of a live studio audience. Of course, some recent performers have even demonstrated how this can be circumvented.

The easiest answer is to watch the tape and think "does this look like trick photography is used." If so, it must be changed.

Case in point: Billy McComb was performing his vanishing bird cage for a TV series. They filmed rehearsals and the director said - you can't use this trick. It just looks like you are throwing it over the camera.

Of course, this wasn't how it was done.

So, Billy - being a smart magician - worked all day to change his handling so the audience could not think that he merely threw it over the camera.

Showtime came, camera rolled, and the trick was jaw dropping.

You can always rationalize laziness by saying, "well, anything can be explained by camera tricks." Or, you can care about your art and take steps to ensure every viewer walks away with a magical experience.

Depends on how much you care, really. Watch an old Copperfield special. The shots were chosen in a way that even "camera tricks" can not explain what you have just seen. Copperfield cared. Do you?

Brad

Now see Mystifier, if you're smart, you will understand that this is help. For god sakes, take what Brad said, and use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2007

Again, no.

The "illusion" is more than just the concept of the trick. It is the entire mise en scene as presented to the audience. A smart magician (or a magician with a smart director) will present his (or her) illusion in a manner which rules out the possibility of camera tricks to the audience.

One technique, which is time honored, is the use of a live studio audience. Of course, some recent performers have even demonstrated how this can be circumvented.

The easiest answer is to watch the tape and think "does this look like trick photography is used." If so, it must be changed.

Case in point: Billy McComb was performing his vanishing bird cage for a TV series. They filmed rehearsals and the director said - you can't use this trick. It just looks like you are throwing it over the camera.

Of course, this wasn't how it was done.

So, Billy - being a smart magician - worked all day to change his handling so the audience could not think that he merely threw it over the camera.

Showtime came, camera rolled, and the trick was jaw dropping.

You can always rationalize laziness by saying, "well, anything can be explained by camera tricks." Or, you can care about your art and take steps to ensure every viewer walks away with a magical experience.

Depends on how much you care, really. Watch an old Copperfield special. The shots were chosen in a way that even "camera tricks" can not explain what you have just seen. Copperfield cared. Do you?

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2007
Mystifier,

After relflection I realize you may think I'm 'coming down' on you. Let me say this clearly and publicly. I think it's great that you are doing this. When I was your age I never would have had the drive to do the work it takes to film these things, let alone put them out and available for public criticism. While I think there are issues you need to consider if your goal is growth, I appreciate you are doing something active. I encourage you to keep an open mind and always strive for improvement if not greatness.

M

Mystifier1

Yes he was helpful. I find out of all the post only 3 of them are helpful.

You guys keep saying I sould do it live only becuase you think its a camera trick. The only reason you think its a camera trick is becuase you cant figure it out. Its more complex than you may think.

I will say this though. I am NOT making any videos on stage. The second episode of my season 2 was filmed in the winter. The season finale and fouth episode was filmed in the winter. The other episodes which I have not filmed will be filmed in the winter becuase my season 2 is taking place in winter. Now my season 3 will probally take place during summer. If that is the case then I will have live performances. Until then you need to wait becuase you accusing me of camera tricks is not getting you anywhere.

Now I know someone will say "i dont thinkits a camera trick but it would be more convicing if it was a live performance." Well all I have to say is that the people watching my videos can spot camera edting in an instance. There are channels on youtube eposing illusionist using camera tricks. I am proud to say that im not on that list becuase everyone know that my stuff can be done live and is not camera editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results