Children's Parties

Oct 17, 2008
My Mom hasn't really had an opinion on my magic, until recently. Around Thanksgiving she saw me showing my family some tricks, and decided that she wants me to make some money doing Kid's Parties...

But Most of my tricks won't work for younger audiences, because they need to remember a card, or a number. They probably wouldn't appreciate Sinful or even a simple Erdnase for what it is, because they're too distracted. They want to see something fast, and easy for the spectator.

So, I was wondering, What are some tricks I could show them, other than spongeballs, and "Oh, look. It was behind your ear!"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-M2K

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
I was about to say spongeballs lol.

Balloon tricks, Egg Bag, all the little simple visual ones even a torn and restored paper,

D'lights are great for kids aswel, even the old vanishing hankey or the salt trick.

Proffessers wands is a really funny trick for little kids a normal wand changes to rope wand it gets longer smaller vanishes.

also done with 3 wands of different sizes combining then to make a big wand.

Sponge banana's,

Even though i dont really perform kids partys or anything hopefully some of these help.

Tom.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Please try the search feature because I know there are a lot of threads on kids parties and children's magic on Theory 11 and over at E. The only reason I know is because I have responded to at least 4 of them...and they all basically ask the same question you are asking. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I feel your pain. Street magic doesn't really work with the younger crowd. I woud pick up some stage type visual tricks. They love D'lites, maybe think about a dissapearing milk pitcher or some ninja rings. I have a pom-pom stick (i think that's what it's called) and kids seem to like it a lot. Also, there is a trick with an insurance policy thing where you can't find the card and it is printed huge on a pamphlet type thing. Comedy tricks and geek tricks also go over very well. I do an arm twist, saw and iVanish and they play really well. You dont need a ton because the younger the kids are, the less time you can hold their attention.

Good Luck,
Josh

Oct 17, 2008
Thanks, everyone. I probably only need to Keep them occupied for about fifteen or twenty minutes, and I can probably make these last long enough. I appreciate the help.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
tricks that are very visual.

what age are you talking about here?
I did a small performance for my brothers 5th grade class, that went over well
and the only thing i used was cards.
actually there favorite thing was Angle Zero by D+M.
I also did here then there, an ACR, and a trick where i throw the deck against the wall and there card sticks to the wall.

IF you talking really young like 2nd through 4th, they have to be EXTREMELY VISUAL. but thats beyond my knowledge.

Hope that helps

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Age is a big issue like said above is it more for say younger kids say year 4-6

or as in kindygarden to 3

because there is a bit of a difference between what they will under stand their attention span and so on.

Tom

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
agreed, I cant think of anything a kid 3 would understand lol.
maybe if you pulled a rabit out of a hat thats about it

Kids are visual...so anything visual works well, plays well. Kids also love comedy... so combine the two effects and you got a show.

Torn and restored news papper.
hippy hop rabbits
Passe passe bottles
Flash Paper Production of X
Vanishing Coke/Ketchup bottle
strait jacket/chain escape
needle through balloon
d'lights if it's dark enough.
Card Production
Rabbit or other small animal production
Cubio
CoPentro
Signed Card to Glass/Cardframe/ etc.
Bowling Ball in Suitcase
Turkey in Drawing Pad
Appearing 8 foot pole/magic want/ straw/ ladder/ shovel/ etc.

That should get you started.

Dec 13, 2008
Midwest
Most kids and even adults will be amazed with a good change bag routine. Have a theme with the stuff going in and the stuff coming out, and have good patter.

Pick up the Tarbell Course in Magic. That is all you will ever need for the rest of your life.

Amen to that. Tarbell's course is great for not only this type of venue, but all genres of magic. It's amazing how often I go back to it and learn something new that could fry most of the magicians I talk to. The old stuff is so underestimated these days.

In any case-- a lot of William Draven's suggestions above are what I would recommend as well. Kids' attention spans are short and require a lot of energy and visual comedy to maintain. I would also try picking props that they can relate to-- the Magic Coloring Book and Vanishing Crayons make a great little routine and always play really well with younger crowds.

With that, I've done a few shows for kids at hospitals and orphanages. Sometimes, I find that they're much smarter than we give them credit for. I've entertained little 5-year-olds with card magic-- it's not that impossible. I'm not saying all toddlers are the same brainiacs I encounter, but I recommend not narrowing your set down to mediocre material because of pre-conceived notions.

RS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results