Classic Palm Hurts Me!!!..... Please Help......!!!

Jul 18, 2011
India
Hello everyone!

I am a newbie into magic, full of enthusiasm. I started with Coin Magic, as THEY say chose one which you initially like most to start. I love to see those crazy coin workers working flawlessly. I searched a lot on net and finally got my way.

I started learning magic, specially coin magic a quit while ago. I read as many as posts and discussions on these forum and other forums also and started practicing. One of the biggest problem with me is I am not so smooth as THEY are. I know practice will fix this problem. But I wanted to know how much time it takes because I am practicing since last 3 weeks, even more, and I am disappointed with my progress.

I want to concentrate here on one thing, Classic Palm, as I know other problems will be solved with practice. But there is something more with Classic Palm, which I can’t understand. I have read other posts but couldn’t find what I want to ask here.

So, my problem is “classic palm hurts me.” Yes, it really hurts me. I adhere to what the THEY say. I try to keep coin in my classic palm in every possible situation. I keep coin palmed while doing almost every job I do. Now the problem occurs.

1. The coin slips out of my palm. I am not able to keep the coin in classic palm for a long time. I have to adjust the coin again and again in every 1 or 2 min.

2. I am not able to palm multiple coins.

3. My hand looks so stiff. My thumb is leaning inward which looks so unnatural. I have read everywhere that people have problem with pinkie when they are classic palming a coin but my problem is different. I have problem with thumb. It’s so unnatural that anyone can notice it. Here I have posted a few pictures of my hand palming the coin below. I have palmed the coin in my right hand. See how thumb of my right hand is leaning inward and left’s is lying very naturally. Also, when I palm the coin my hand shrinks than the other.

48187843.jpg

92120540.jpg

4. Next major problem is that it pains. It pains very hard. I have again posted a picture of hand showing the parts where I feel a lot of pain by highlighting the area. I am not a good photo editor, but hope you will have the idea what I want to show you. I feel lot of pain in my thumb, in base of the thumb, base of every finger, in pinkie side flashy part, in almost whole palm. This is the BIGGEST problem with me.

63881451.jpg

5. Next thing is that I cannot do some of the practice exercise such as writing with pen while palming coin and coin roll while palming. I don’t know how they can write while palming the coin because coin slips because of pressure of two muscles where the coin is held while writing. I can’t do that.

Ok, these are the problems I am facing. And really I feel pain in my palm that’s why I say “Classic palm hurts me.” I am serious about this as I have told you that I am practicing since last 3 weeks and there is no improvement and I still feel pain and can’t do everything while palming the coin. I cannot retain it for long time. I am really disappointed. I really don’t know why is this. May be it is because I am learning and practicing wrong way. I mean, maybe I am holding the coin at wrong place in my palm. May be the coin is putting pressure on nerves in my palm. That’s why I am feeling so much of pain. To show you where I hold the coin, I have again posted a picture. There are two red marks on thumb side and pinkie side which occurred after I palmed the coin for 3 – 4 hours and tried to do some of my routine jobs. So that you can catch those marks quickly, I have put two arrows to indicate them on my palm.

34281189.jpg

Please see the picture and let me know if I am wrong in my approach. Let me know the correct approach. Please tell me how I can improve?
Please help me.

Waiting for your response.

Jul 25, 2011
Berlin
As SJBrundage stated, take a break, even after 3 days you will notice less difficulty.
As for marks on your hand, that happens to me as well if coins are classic palmed for more than 3 hours. From the photo it looks liks you're using a euro coin, which isn't easy since it is both heavy and rather small. Try finder lighter and bigger coins. I experienced similiar problem, which resolved after buying an artifact coin (awesome coin btw). As for your thumb, note that the thumb has a joint, which can be bent even if its base is gripping the coin.

Remember to keep practicing it does take time. It probably hurts because you are building muscles in your hand. Also remember to practice the classic palm very lightly and it will feel like impossible. You seem to be performing it correctly though. Just the bigger the coin the easier it is to palm.
By posting all the photos and showing so much passion you will get far I am sure. Just keep working at it! Plus with smaller coins I think it is impossible to keep your hand perfectly flat and natural looking... I saw a coin worker at the magic shop and he would point at people and touch things and just find interesting things to misdirect from what he was really doing with his hand.

Just keep working and remember to stay lose and gentle with all your magic it is an art a passion it will take time and patients and hard work. But you seem to be on your way!

From the photo it looks liks you're using a euro coin, which isn't easy since it is both heavy and rather small.

This summarize your problem rt here. Euro coins are not the best for magic because of the edge and the size. For practical classic palm, you will need at least a half dollar size coin with reeded edge. The reed edge is what helps making the classic palm looks natural. The pain will go away after a while and keep in mind that this pain is only the beginning, wait till you practice muscle pass. That is where the pain truly lies.

PS: Coin magic isn't easy, plus they are expensive. But it takes only one time of paying. I recommend that you invest in some silver coins because silver coins are the best coin/material for coin magic. I know they are a bit pricy but if you get your hand on about six of them, you are set for life.

Jul 18, 2011
India
First of all thanks to all of you.

I really liked your tips and advice. Thanks WilliamMckeehan! Your reply is really inspiring. I know all of you tried from the bottom of your heart to resolve my problem, but, I hope you will not mind if I say this, I am still confused! I couldn't understand some of your lines. As danielmontagne said you really don't need classic palm. What does that mean?

And also you guys perhaps didn't notice what I said about my thumb. I have problem with my thumb. It's leaning inward. That is wired. I couldn't understand what Leander said about this. Yes, I have joint but I am not able to use that. And also I am not able to classic palm for a long time, the coin gets slips out of my palm. I also can not write while classic palming or do any other classic palm exercise.

And yes, I am not using a euro coin. It is an Indian coin of 10 Rupees. Yes it is smaller then a half dollar coin but not so much. But still i will try to get some half dollar coins for the sake of easy starting. Can you tell me if I can buy these coins online, I mean if there is any website from where I can buy the coins and they make them available at my doorstep.

Thanks again.

The classic palm? I just palm it all the time every chance I get.

Magic in general I find whatever effect I want to perform and work thru the moves till I understand how It is suppose to feel. then I practice till it feels as natural in my hands as possible. Then I work out patter for the effect then I work out movements and when to say things to help misdirect from what I am really doing.

Then you perform that effect 10 billion times and work out what works and what doesn't work you should be able to tell.

I do not know where you are learning your coin magic from but I really enjoy David Stones Basic Coin magic vol 1 / vol 2
But thats just some advice!

Sep 4, 2007
Chesterfield, MI
Re: Classic Palm Hurts - A better option

Hey Gaurav -

Based on the classic palm questions and feedback, I'd recommend using a different sleight such as:

1. Try using a finger palm with a "take" vanish and you'll have a more fluid and less cramped approach.
  2. Try using a fingertip vanish that results in fingerpalm

These two options look a lot better and more natural than the inherently cramped classic palm.
(No matter how you hold it there is still a sleight difference)

Remember, the goal in any sleight is to appear like you are placing the coin in one hand so the other hand (while retaining the coin) can pick up another object or proceed to the next step.

Hope that helps

Andy

Jul 18, 2011
India
yes, WilliamMckeehan you r right. Practicing again and again can bring smoothness in my motions. Mr. Andy (amakar), first of all thank you very much. Yes, I am more comfortable with finger palm and take vanish is becoming my favorite vanish. I learned take vanish from Jay Noblezada - In the beginning there were coins. His style of take vanish is really beautiful and more deceptive. well, WilliamMckeehan, I am learning from Jay Noblezada - In the beginning there were coins and Eric Jones - Metal.

I want to know more about Ramsay subtlety. Some more finer points on Ramsay subtlety. Can you please tell which source have the most appropriate material, theory, finer points on finger palm and Ramsay subtlety. Tell me the source through which I can improve and advance my finger palm.

I know it's just one more purchase, but David Roth's 3 DVD-set Expert Coin Magic Made Easy is just amazing! Mr. Roth Explains things very clearly, and is a genius, and inspiration to anyone who does coin magic. Also, it took me a couple of weeks before I realized that my classic palm could be held in different positions on my palm, but at least in my particular case, having the coin lower on my hand (more towards the wrist) rather than directly in the middle of my palm, helped tremendously.

It will take a bit of time before you are comfortable with the classic palm, and even after you are comfortable getting into it, and holding the position. It will take even more time for it to look natural. Everyones hands are different and you just have to find what works best for you. Also, I would check on ebay for a Kennedy half dollar. It can be any year, people sell them for pretty cheap online. Then, after you have learned palming with a half dollar, a smaller coin will be just as easy to palm. Good luck with everything, and I hope some of my advice helped you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results