Classic Palm vs Small Hands

Jan 16, 2017
Hello guys , first time posting here and i just want to know how do the classic palm with small hands . I've seen a lot of posts saying that doesn't matter the size of the hand to palm it but i cant do it invisibly. Thanks for your time and sorry for my English ( I'm learning it )

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
If a poker size card doesn't fit you should consider bumping to using bridge size cards. If your hands are too small for those I suggest using a different palm or hoping your hands grow.

Feb 18, 2015
Use misdirection. I use poker sized cards as a person who's hands are still growing. But be like Dai Vernon, who's hand fits less than 3/4 of the card, I rely on misdirection for 51 cards to pocket or card to box. I would not recommend bridge sized cards, as there are many sleights you cannot do with them.
Other "palms" that might be better for you.
Tenkai
Gamblers Cop

Reactions: ProAma

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Mahdi Gilbert can palm a card and he doesn't have hands. Review your thinking for why you 'can't' palm cards.

I have fairly small hands. A poker sized card occupies 3/4 of my entire hand. I have pulled off palms that should not have worked. I remember doing a routine where I had a card palmed in my right hand, while holding the deck in my left, and riffling up through the cards with my right thumb while my hands were both 10" from someone's face - who didn't see the palmed card at all. I did it simply to prove to my unconscious mind that I could get away with palming a card in someone's face.

Your hands aren't too small - you're just scared of being caught. Get over it.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I am with you there; I have small hands that have "windows". But I have adopted the mentality of Harry Lorayne who says "Method and technique are important, but it has always been my contention that attitude is more important (The Magic Book. p.53)." Do it without guilt and at an opportune time where your actions, your attitude, and naturalness all blend to misdirect from the palm itself. So, of course, you should still practice and get your technique down and be aware of how the card is concealed in your palm starting out but once you're utilizing it in performance, don't think about that card. "The less you are aware of it, the less your audience will be aware of it (p.60)."

Final tip (also from Harry Lorayne):
"The best time to palm a card is when you're asking your spectator a direct question or giving him something to do (p.60)." This is great misdirection for many sleights and perfect for the palm. He explains his card to pocket trick on this page too so I implore you to check out this book.

I never used to palm cards because it was something that I felt I could never do. But after reading Mr. Loraynes explanation I practiced hard and began performing with it. Despite my small hands I have never been caught with card in my hand because I never drew attention to it!

Mahdi Gilbert not only proves that hands, let alone hand size, don't matter, but also that innovation is going to be your best aid. Generally speaking it would be best to have the texts of the techniques you're trying to learn, and to also be willing to vary slightly from the written text and technique. I'd feel safe in saying that the books you're learning from are correct and will work for your hand size, however, the books you're studying also give you the finished version of the palm. They don't give you the gradual lessons you'd need in order to start with a passable palm and then later refine it to get the finished version of the palm. Understanding that idea will let you compromise a little while you learn and refine your palming technique.

Start with the Joe Berg Top Palm, then later you can graduate to the Updated Erdnase Top Palm. If the Joe Berg Palm is difficult to begin with, start with a Tenkai Palm or a Gambler's Flat Palm while practicing Joe Berg's Palm. Other techniques of top palms would be the Heel Clip Palm and, if you're comfortable bending cards when you palm, the Longitudinal Palm.

John Carney's handling of the Erdnase Bottom Palm would be ideal for a bottom palm, though you'll probably want to start with something like the Gambler's Cop or, better yet, Guy Hollingworth's variation on the Gambler's Cop, "The TAG Palm."

In short, you'll simply need to be versed in the various palms and know which ones work best for you. Once you've done that you'll want to start looking into things such as the framework of palming and the choreography of your routines that involve palming. Lastly, DominusDolorum's advice from Harry Lorayne on the attitude of palming is true regardless of which palm you use, so please consider it greatly as you practice.

I sincerely hope this is helpful!
Cameron J. Braxton

Jan 27, 2017
Another anecdote to keep in mind: When Malini palmed a card, it would stick out the side of his hand. That's how small his hands were. Yet he got away with it because he knew when to palm and how to direct the audience's attention while palming.

Try palming without feeling any guilt about it. If you know you're hiding something, your entire arm will tense and stiffen. Usually, there's no heat on the hand unless you telegraph that you're doing something secret.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results