Classic Silk Trick

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I really hope that is an unlisted video as it is very obvious as to what is going on. The problem with video is it can be watched over, and over, and over etc again. It has to be perfect so as not to expose what you are doing to non-magicians. Also, maybe a bit more energy or personality when performing. It's ok to smile man.

cleanentertainer

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2010
im thinking you guys are thinking too much like a magician. I understand they will beable the reply the video over and over. I might re shoot it.

@cleanentertainer you can't ask for what we think then when we aren't telling you its amazing just pass it off that we are thinking like magicians. We are all here to help, and we are helping by telling you we can see the TT. It's not even that we are looking for it because we already know how it works, it's clearly there on your thumb, I can see the line where it ends! Hence why Luis gave you the helpful hint of making sure that it is always pointing the audience rather than having your thumbs up. If I were you i would shoot it again, and straight on rather than from that angle and take that video down. I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I'm trying to give you helpful advice.

Simon_Magic

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
How do you think it looks?
I love this effect and I do it every time I perform. It's tricky because about 1 in 30 times someone I show it to knows how it's done. Either they have seen it done poorly, they got one in a kids magic set, or they have seen it exposed on one of many popular movies (ie: Night at the Museum). So I've built into my patter an out for those situations. That said, I think it's really good that you are capturing it on camera so you can evaluate your performance. That's very wise. Keep working on it so that the TT gets flashed as little as possible, and you direct attention to either the silk, or the hand it is supposed to be in-NOT the hand with the TT. This is what misdirection is-directing attention where you want it to be. So a great start, but needs some more work to not expose.

I'd love to see another follow up video. Keep it up.

*also in my signature, there's a link for Interlace. I do a TT routine at the start.

Jan 11, 2011
It's not too bad, but with any TT tricks you need to remember that TT is not invisible. It's your task to make it seem so. Avoid showing it as much as possible, you can flash with it from time to time, also as long as you keep your hands in movement it's more difficult to see. Good idea would be also to find one that matches the color of your skin a bit more, there's lots of them in the market.

Anyways, don't give up, you're on the right way! :)

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
You need to skype with someone who knows how to handle a TT especially for video use.

I'll second that. . . you are doing a lot of "typical" mistakes when it comes to working a TT. . . believe it or not, some of the best TT work doesn't rely on the thumb . . . I'll let you dwell on that point. BUT, you may want to invest in the Gary Darwin TT books and I think he recently released a video about this wonder-tool. I've watched Gary work with this device and blow the minds of seasoned, very well known magicians; he's uncanny even when it comes to traditional slight-of-hand, which is saying a lot for a guy with short, fat fingers.

LIGHTING is a big issue when it comes to TT work, more so than most think. Learn how to use shadow to your advantage by keeping the light source to your back and keeping the hot hand in that shadow area. Try to avoid Fluorescent lighting in that it tends to make the gimmick show up better in a brightly lit area.

While I'm not a huge stickler when it comes to flesh tone (I've actually worked with a Chrome TT in the past and gotten away with it) I do believe people just starting to learn how to use said device can fair better with a gimmick that better matches their skin tone. You may also want to look at rubber vs. the plastic Vernet style tip (though they are the #1 standard out there and have been for decades).

You just need some basic coaching and more knowledge.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results