Close up gigs?

Jun 30, 2008
Hey guys Im a close up worker, and I was wondering where I could get a gig, by doing Close up magic. Restaurants is one, but where are some other places? I really appreciate the advice, thanks.

Sep 1, 2007
As a close up artist you are limited.

You're not limited as a close up performer. In bigger parties and events a strolling close up magician is very easy to place in the schedule because other things can be happening at the same time. You don't need a stage so you can perform pretty much in any venue. For smaller parties you can do a 20 minute show - or you can even do your close up show on stages with the help of a camera and a projector. You are not limited.

You can perform pretty much in any event but first you need to start getting your name out there. Take every gig you can get because they will all give you possible new clients. That way you start getting more gigs and people start to recognize your name. Don't do it for money, do it for performing experience. Otherwise you may end up losing gigs that you need.

Birthday parties are probably some of the easiest gigs to get to. Just ask around your friends and family and see if there are some upcoming parties. Take big gigs, take small gigs, and do even some free shows. Perform as much as you can.

Weddings.
Tradeshows.
Mitzvahs.
Restaurants.
Cocktail Parties.
Bar/Club Promotions.
Store/Mall/Outlet Promotions.
Private Engagements.
Charity Events.
Church Functions.
High Schools.
College Circuit.
Bartending.
Lounge Entertainment.
Hospital Events.
Festival Entertainment.
Magic Conventions.
Magic Lectures.

...That's just a few off the top of my head. Think creatively. If you think you can better (any) establishment or function with your talent, make a proposal and offer your business card. If you want any advice, feel free to get at me privately. I've some pretty entertaining horror stories.

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Exactly what everyone else is saying. Do not turn down a single gig. Make it work for you somehow to get your name out there. If it means using a camera and projector to be able to view things on a big screen...so be it. Strolling can be done almost anywhere at any time. Birthday parties are fun but you need to learn how to manage the audience and kids can be brutal. Do some free gigs and then start to charge a little and then begin to increase the amount as your confidence and showmanship blossoms. Did that sound gay? Probably. I was just starting out last summer even though I have 8 years of amateur experience. I did two birthday parties and now that my name is getting around town I have about 10 gigs under my belt since July. I know that doesn't sound like much to some of the more professional guys out there but when it is extra cash coming in on top of teacher salary...it makes for some great spending cash without the wife whining about the crap I buy. All you married men out there know exactly what I'm talking about.
I know we as close up guys don't have all the big fancy stage illusions but I've actually had people come up to me after my close up gigs and say they prefer the in-your face type of magic anyway and it hits hard.

I dissagree. While you may have more venue oppertunities to perform in, the bigger paying gigs don't usually book out close up artists. Save for MAYBE weddings. But it's always a bid war when it comes to those.

Cruise ships, College tours, trade shows, and Corporate magic gigs almost always require at the minimum a parlor show.

Yes you CAN do close up for birthday parties, and there are people out there that make a nice living doing just that, but it's not for me.

Resteraunts will be steady work and a good experience but typically your good pay is in tips, not your flat rate that the establishment is paying you.

Just my thoughts.

You're not limited as a close up performer. In bigger parties and events a strolling close up magician is very easy to place in the schedule because other things can be happening at the same time. You don't need a stage so you can perform pretty much in any venue. For smaller parties you can do a 20 minute show - or you can even do your close up show on stages with the help of a camera and a projector. You are not limited.

You can perform pretty much in any event but first you need to start getting your name out there. Take every gig you can get because they will all give you possible new clients. That way you start getting more gigs and people start to recognize your name. Don't do it for money, do it for performing experience. Otherwise you may end up losing gigs that you need.

Birthday parties are probably some of the easiest gigs to get to. Just ask around your friends and family and see if there are some upcoming parties. Take big gigs, take small gigs, and do even some free shows. Perform as much as you can.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results