CoinOne vs. 3Fly?

Dec 5, 2007
Hello,

Iv been thinking about ordering coinone or Chris kenners book totaly out of control and the main reason is to get 3 fly. Wich one of them do you think is the best one? do they both use the same gimmick?

Sep 2, 2007
They are both excellent. Coin One is just one effect however. Totally Out of Control has many many effects (coins, cards, ropes)

Coin One is excellent. It is a palm up coins across while Menage a Trois is at the fingertips coins across. I personally think that Coin One is a little bit easier than Menage a Trois.

Also, I believe Homer Liwag is going to release Coin Two sometime soon. The teaser is up on his site.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
3 fly is ungimmicked. They are both excellent routines and have about the same visual impact. Coinone is a bit more open though. Id say get TOOC, its an excellent book, and you will learn more then just 3fly, both include Chris Kenner's effet The deep.

Dec 5, 2007
3 fly is ungimmicked. They are both excellent routines and have about the same visual impact. Coinone is a bit more open though. Id say get TOOC, its an excellent book, and you will learn more then just 3fly, both include Chris Kenner's effet The deep.

Are you sure the 3 fly is ungimmicked? wow. 3 fly has been my favourit routine to watch and i have always wanted it but i tought that you needed a gimmick wich is not made to fit my currency so now i have saved money for a custom made one. But then i dont need it.

Sep 1, 2007
For some reason..I can't find 3Fly in Totally out of Control? I see 3Fry, but not 3Fly. What page is it on...and why am I so dumb?

Dec 2, 2007
They are both VERY good effects; however they have completely different performing requirements (not even counting the gimmick used for CoinOne).

In 3 Fly the hands are held at chest height with your spectators at least arms length away looking mainly up at your hands and face. With CoinOne (or even 'The Deep' from Out of Control / Totally Out of Control) your spectator is standing next to you looking down at your hands.

While you can perform 3 fly for a whole crowd of people (at all different distances away from you) CoinOne is often better for a single spectator very close to you.

In my opinion you may want to ask yourself, "How do I usually perform?" Is it most often for a crowd of people (like when performing a magic show, birthday party, etc.) or is it mainly one-on-one (table hopping, walk-around, etc.)?

If you are a "hopper" then you may get a lot of mileage out of the "visual" walk through found on the CoinOne DVD. If you find that you like the effect enough to take the time to master it, you will become obsessed with deep backclip work (as I have) and it will naturally lead you to other uses, effects, applications ...and purchases. (I recently picked up David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" just for the deep backclip work, and New York Coin Seminar Volume 4, just for Geoff Latta's deep backclip copper silver routine.) When performed correctly, routines of this nature are VERY deceptive and Homer's CoinOne is one of the best places to get started on this work.

If you perform more often for groups, then learning some variation of 3 Fly may be more rewarding. Don't be disappointed though when you purchase Chris Kenner's book and notice that 3 Fly isn't in there, it *IS* there, but it is called "Menage et trois" instead of 3 Fly. Both Daryl and R. Paul Wilson have less technical versions. Daryl's is sold under the name "3 Fly III" and comes with a DVD and colored dollar sized poker chips to aid learning. Paul's has been called Scottish Fly, Crowded Coins, or more recently Completely Crowded. Not a bad price either for Paul's (only $10) from his web site here:

http://www.rpaulwilson.com/circleofconfidence2.htm

...learning any 3 Fly routine will eventually lead you to the work of Chris Kenner, Gary Kurtz, Troy Hooser and of course John Ramsay.

Okay, so having said all of that. Buy Kenner and Liwag's book! You will get the original source of 3 Fly and the Sybil cut, as well as "The Deep" (which is also on the CoinOne DVD) in addition to some other real gems (like the Magician slayer called "Twin Peaks" for example) which are hiding in that book.

Hope this information helps,

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 2, 2007
Thank you guys for your answers. :)

So would you say that chris kenners is the best 3 fly?

...that depends on who you ask. ;)

(...there are dozens and dozens of 3 Fly routines now...)

I would say that if you learn faster from DVDs than books and if you just want an easy, inexpensive (approx $20), direct way to perform the effect then go with Daryl's 3 Fly III. It will still take quite a bit of practice, but it is probably the easiest non-gaffed version. If you glance around on youTube you can find Daryl's presentation for the effect.

Completely Crowded! by R. Paul Wilson is also good and is pretty easy to learn; you can find it on his "Knock'em Dead" DVD, or the $10 instant download I mentioned in my previous post to this thread.

For Troy Hooser's take try his "DisTROYers" book or DVDs. The Effect is called "Redirection Coins Across" and it is based on 3 Fly.

Both Daryl and R. Paul Wilson greatly simplified Chris Kenner's routine; however simpler is not always better. I would say that Kenner's routine is better (more visual), but also more technically demanding.

Rumor has it that Chris did not exactly publish this effect as he himself does it. He realized that his handling was way tougher than what the average coin guy would want to tackle, so he published an easier version. (Chris, please correct me if this is incorrect!) According to myths and legends, If he had published the more difficult handling 3 Fly may have become another great effect that never hit big. People may have ended up skipping it, due to it being too technically demanding.

...maybe one day Chris will share the hard way with us. (...fingers crossed...) :)

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results