College

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
You wanna try that plan go for.Ill see you packing my groceries in a few years.

If he starts bagging now he can be a customer service manager in a matter of 2 years with hard work.

it's not magic, but it's a job.

I'd go for the education still, it has a better success % than not having one.

Hey people,

I have an interesting question. I was doing magic once and somebody asked my why I did magic. I just said that I enjoyed it and did it as a hobbie. He asked "can you go to college with this stuff?"

I was stumped. is this possible to go to college.
You have to get an education, period.

If you're interested in becoming a professional magician, a degree in marketing would help, especially if you want to go to the Cooperate market (since trade show magicians are basically marketing executives )

Theater would definitely help though not a necessity to become a good magician ( a degree, that is, not knowledge). I strongly believe that at least some understanding of theater is needed. Henning Nelm's book is superb since its theater for magicians specifically. Acting skills are cool too.

I strongly recommend getting a degree and having a career. Being a magician full-time is a very difficult choice and having something to fall back on is essential.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Oh please do you think everyone has that kinda luxury or chance nowadays?
Dont kid yourself.
You wanna try that plan go for.Ill see you packing my groceries in a few years.

Never said it would work, I just said that you NEED an education. A lot of people don't have one and they ended up doing fine. Yes, and Education helps and will even the playing field for you.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
A lot of people don't have one and they ended up doing fine. Yes, and Education helps and will even the playing field for you.

Ive never seen anyone who doesnt have one and is always "Doing fine".
they struggle and cry about what they dont have or need all the time.
Either way,id rather not be mediocre and actually have a job that I love to do and do more than just "get by".

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
back on topic. Didn't Houdini start or try to put together a "Magic College"? He just died before he could really get it off the ground? I seem to remember reading that somewhere, i think it was DB's autobiography.

Jan 21, 2009
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Philosoraptor-Has-anyone-really-been-far-even-as-decided--to-use-even-go-want-to-do-look-more-like.jpg

I think magic can legitimately be considered for formal education. We've got dance, theatre, music, economics, sculpting, and a whole myriad of other subjects, we can put magic in there. Magic has a rich history, and many subcategories. You have stage illusions, similar to what stage design would be, performance choreography, there can be a class for stage assistants. Instead of hiring theatre workers off of unions, we can have specially tailored professionals with an adept understanding doing our lighting, music, and so on and so forth. Not forgetting to mention close up work. We'd have a magic theory section, where we can create a model of conflict creation and resolution similar to tonal tendencies in music. A card magic section with a unified text, homework of selection from the book and performance. A coin magic section, a parlor magic class, mentalism department. So on and so forth.

Magic can be placed in colleges.

We can create the demand for a unique type of entertainment. Magic breaks the fourth wall. People are no longer spectators, because we're not up there performing monologues. We're actively involving them in the drama. This is an artform, but it is also an industry. And we can make profit.

To reiterate my points:

1- Magic goes to college.
2- Student goes to college.
3- ????
4- PROFIT!

So yeah. I have been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results