Comedy, is it necessary?

Nov 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally, do you feel comedy is a necessary part of your presentation? Do you believe that magic should be presented in a light-hearted way, or, do you think that magic could be presented in a way that is not 'funny' yet still remains entertaining?

What is your general opinion on a darker or more mysterious kind of presentation? Is 'disturbing' entertaining?

Jan 13, 2008
Well, serious isn't necessarily "disturbing", as you seem to imply. It could also be mysterious (ie. Blaine).

My brother tends to go a more serious route, and he gets gigs just fine (and when he gets an award show type of gig, or something else that happens annually, he is usually invited back the next year as the only act, or the main act, as apposed to an opener).

I personally choose a more lighthearted and comedic route, as it's more fun to me, but I can definitely see the appeal of the mysteriousness that comes with a serious performance. :)

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I think it depends a lot on the material you are presenting.

There are some great comedy acts and some great acts with more of a serious nature. They are different but one isn’t necessarily better than the other one. The performer can make all the difference too. Some people can’t be funny or disturbing under any circumstances. So ones personality will make a difference.

I think you have to look at yourself and your material closely and see what fits best for you and the specs you’re performing for.

Nov 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, serious isn't necessarily "disturbing", as you seem to imply. It could also be mysterious (ie. Blaine).

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to clarify that I wasnt implying serious = disturbing. I meant it as an unrelated question (more related to a darker presentation rather than serious).

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
It depends on the material and your audience. You wouldn't show a spongeball trick to a 7 year old in a really serious, mysterious way, would you? I like a more lighthearted, comedic routine (and I don't think I could pull off a serious character anyway).

Sep 20, 2008
Depends on your personality.

in the Beginners Theory 11 video, Chris kenner talks about presenting magic as yourself- not to transform into some other guy just to perform magic.

Im an ass in real life- so i have tendencies to patronise my audience and stop midway a routine. Or most of the time i'd be laughing with the audience so much that neither of us would even care if i mess up my sleights. (Like when im drunk. hahahahaha)

Do note, i only do magic as a hobby.

Nov 12, 2008
comedy

Id have to agree. It really depends on the trick you are presenting. I mean, imagine presenting angle zero with a comedy type feel. It just would't feel right.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Depends on your personality.

in the Beginners Theory 11 video, Chris kenner talks about presenting magic as yourself- not to transform into some other guy just to perform magic.

Im an ass in real life- so i have tendencies to patronise my audience and stop midway a routine. Or most of the time i'd be laughing with the audience so much that neither of us would even care if i mess up my sleights. (Like when im drunk. hahahahaha)

Do note, i only do magic as a hobby.

I agree. I am the type of person who always is joking around and laughing....so during some of my tricks, I will joke around (which can be useful for misdirection-see the Blaine video posted not too long ago). I have seen performances of the serious nature and they are awesome as well. I'd say go with what you are comfortable with and what suits you best.

Sep 20, 2008
Angle zero in a comedic performance can be done. it just has to be a parlour- sort of style. Like how a clown would perform it.

That's a rather odd thing to do. or Control as a comedic performance. hahaha

Oct 13, 2008
To answer your question:
No.

To elaborate:
It's not NECESSARY, but I think it can be awfully dull without it. That's just my belief though. I used to pull off a mysterious, not say much performance. As I performed more regularly for people, I began to shift my approach. Honestly, it's not even necessary to talk during a performance, but it sure helps, right?

Sun|Sky

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
I think that both can work. look at Barry and Stuart, then look at Derren Brown. Personally I prefer watching the more serious type, with a hint of the macarbre so I like to do tricks in tha style, but to be honest, if you are just doing something casually there really is no point to try and seem mysterious because it takes a while for that impression to come acroos, and if you are spending less than five minutes with your audience, the chances are that they will come away thinking you are wierd.
That is my opinion.
Bite me

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
Okay, I'll give a definitive answer. Yes. It is necessary, at least part of the time. You wouldn't pull a David Blaine for spongeballs.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
DOing magic for several years and observing other magicians.

I feel comedy is necessary Throughout a perfomance..

But it really depends on how you feel about your magic and performing.

If it's something really small, subtle, yet powerful.. Don't turn it into a comedy act.

I use comedy to Help me choose a person.

For example, When i do the 2 card monte, I look at the oldest person in the group and say. "SIR! You look like a gentlemen with an outstanding memory" usually that get's the group a little chuckle and loosen's up the atmosphere.

For me comedy can be a little bit of relief if things are building up faster then you want them too.. Like sometimes people get a little ton tense and excited for your next trick, And you want things to go at a nice pace.

Anyway thats my little... Thoughtchyamajig on the whole Scenario.

-Jordan

Nov 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay, I'll give a definitive answer. Yes. It is necessary, at least part of the time. You wouldn't pull a David Blaine for spongeballs.

If I were a more serious performer, I probably wouldnt do sponge balls. If I were in it for comedy, probably wouldnt pick saw as my first 'must do' effect.

My question is not if one effect or another can be adapted to fit a particular presentation style, rather, is it necessary to be funny or have comedy injected into your performance in order for it to be entertaining.

In other words, do you believe that spectators can be entertained to the same level without using comedy in your performance?

...and you may have answered my question by using DB as an example. :)

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
If I were a more serious performer, I probably wouldnt do sponge balls. If I were in it for comedy, probably wouldnt pick saw as my first 'must do' effect.

My question is not if one effect or another can be adapted to fit a particular presentation style, rather, is it necessary to be funny or have comedy injected into your performance in order for it to be entertaining.

In other words, do you believe that spectators can be entertained to the same level without using comedy in your performance?

...and you may have answered my question by using DB as an example. :)

I believe if you present yourself correctly and in a intriguing manner, i'm sure you could easily entertain the spectators at the same level.

For me, i can do that. But it makes me feel uncomfortable because thats not the kind of magician i am. I like things to be really relaxed, chill and casual.
Therefore, i'll occasionally throw some comedic lines or tricks just to lighten things.

-Jordan.

Comedy is necessary.

The darkest performers today all use comedy to some extent to provide some relief to the atmosphere and content. I would find it extremely difficult to believe that someone can entertain and satisfy an audience on one single note of seriousness and melodrama. A well-rounded performance should consist of ups and downs and rolling hills of different types of emotion. If a performer is too serious, an audience would easily grow disinterested with what he had to offer. Without comedy, a show or act can't be successful.

I'd even be so bold to challenge anyone here to name one performer of critical acclaim who doesn't use comedy at all to win over an audience. I'd say they wouldn't be able to do it. David Blaine, Criss Angel, Derren Brown all utilize comedy to round off the edges of their "mysterious" characters. Without a sense of humor, they cannot be relatable. If they're not relatable, they're not interesting.

It's simple theatre, really. Even the darkest of Shakespearean plays still have characters devoted to comedic relief. Without it, such works like Macbeth or Hamlet probably would not have withstood half their history. It is essential to an act's vitality to have some sort of humor for the audience to appreciate and hold on to.

RS.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Comedy is necessary.

The darkest performers today all use comedy to some extent to provide some relief to the atmosphere and content. I would find it extremely difficult to believe that someone can entertain and satisfy an audience on one single note of seriousness and melodrama. A well-rounded performance should consist of ups and downs and rolling hills of different types of emotion. If a performer is too serious, an audience would easily grow disinterested with what he had to offer. Without comedy, a show or act can't be successful.

I'd even be so bold to challenge anyone here to name one performer of critical acclaim who doesn't use comedy at all to win over an audience. I'd say they wouldn't be able to do it. David Blaine, Criss Angel, Derren Brown all utilize comedy to round off the edges of their "mysterious" characters. Without a sense of humor, they cannot be relatable. If they're not relatable, they're not interesting.

It's simple theatre, really. Even the darkest of Shakespearean plays still have characters devoted to comedic relief. Without it, such works like Macbeth or Hamlet probably would not have withstood half their history. It is essential to an act's vitality to have some sort of humor for the audience to appreciate and hold on to.

RS.

Amen!

-insert classy church organ music here-

-jordan

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
Actually I agree with Romeo Sierra. If you watch Derren Brown (brilliant man)'s shows he will just drop in little lines of comedy to make sure the audience is still comfortable. If you watch Criss Angel doing a trick where he swallows a coin and then makes it come out of his arm, he does not do the comedy thing enough, and his audience is repelled by him. They all look away and they are calling him a psycho. I think you just have to find the right balance. Keep it comfortable.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results