Competition Helps... A lot

Aug 18, 2008
I have a friend who I helped get started in magic 2 years ago. He had some problems started out, but hes getting there. We used to perform at the same high school before we graduated. He was always watching me and always wanted to learn the effects I performed. As he improved, we practiced together almost on a daily basis.

After a while I noticed how fast he started improving. It was incredible how quickly he would pick up on things I showed him. Our friendly competition drove him to practice extensively. He always wanted to be the best. I showed him a faro shuffle and he practiced it for about 10 hours straight and i was shocked at how well he could do it in such a short time.

So the point of this boring story is that competition will make you improve so much quicker in magic as well as everything else. Being the best in your area is not always a good thing.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
will make you improve so much quicker in magic as well as everything else..

Not always my friend. Sometimes people get to competitive and learn the stuff but not well at all. Some learn and try to get better and be better but alot will learn to say hey i know that as well except they can't do it for crap.

In some cases sure some friendly competition is always good but in the end practice over rules this though the competition can give you drive to practice.

Tom

totally, man. Especially, someone in your age range, cause you feel like you can be more on their level, and you jam, collaborate and keep thinking of ways to improve your own game (or magic) cause you don't wanna fall out of the league. Cause its fun and rewarding.

Jan 13, 2008
I agree and disagree. It really depends on the person. For example, me personally, I do a lot better just being surrounded by friends (who are in the same boat as me; whether that be working on magic, studying for a midterm or exam, etc), especially if it's a positive atmosphere. When things get competitive, it takes away all the fun to me (I know, opposite to how most guys stereotypically behave, heh); I just don't like competition.

More importantly, thank you for not typing "alot" in the thread title. It's nice to see there are at least a few literate people on these forums. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results