Conventions/Expos

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey guys,
I may have an opportunity to go to the Penguin Magic's Live Magic Expo in Philadelphia. If I do, this will be my first ever magic convention (or major gathering). I was just wondering a few things and would like to have some info. Please tell me about what these conventions are like (ie. what is it like, what do we do, what is sold, is it worth it, etc.). Oh, and one major question - will the average 16 year old kid who loves magic enjoy it, and should I take my family?

Thanks!
- Maaz Hasan

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Maaz:

That is being held in my area of the world. I've not been to any of the Penguin Expos but they sound like there are "pro sessions" and a lecture but mostly it is a bunch of dealers selling their stuff. For the Penguin Philadelphia one, the only person doing the pro sessions is Magick Balay (who used to work at Fantasia). However, I couldn't tell you what a pro session is -- it may be just demonstrating stuff for you to buy. Magick is a great guy and has amazing knowledge and chops. The lecture is Greg Wilson, who is amazing. I love Greg's stuff and seeing him perform and lecture is a lot of fun - but an hour is a short lecture.

If you live around Philadelphia, send me a PM and I can give you details of some magic related goings on that may be more interesting then Penguin live.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 14, 2017
I have attended one of the Penquin Events and am scheduled to participate in another later this year; here in the Orlando area.
David is correct in that a big part of the 'event' is a booth for Penquin to "Sell by way of demonstration". But it is not high-pressure and not mandatory.
I was fortunate to learn a bit from Michael Amarr and he made himself available for direct contact and conversation (during a break and, again, after the event). So I would say you will surely get something out of the evening. And Greg Wilson is amazing!

By coincidence, I am originally FROM Philadelphia.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Maaz:

That is being held in my area of the world. I've not been to any of the Penguin Expos but they sound like there are "pro sessions" and a lecture but mostly it is a bunch of dealers selling their stuff. For the Penguin Philadelphia one, the only person doing the pro sessions is Magick Balay (who used to work at Fantasia). However, I couldn't tell you what a pro session is -- it may be just demonstrating stuff for you to buy. Magick is a great guy and has amazing knowledge and chops. The lecture is Greg Wilson, who is amazing. I love Greg's stuff and seeing him perform and lecture is a lot of fun - but an hour is a short lecture.

If you live around Philadelphia, send me a PM and I can give you details of some magic related goings on that may be more interesting then Penguin live.
Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately, my family just recently moved away from Philadelphia ( :( ), but thanks anyways!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I have attended one of the Penquin Events and am scheduled to participate in another later this year; here in the Orlando area.
David is correct in that a big part of the 'event' is a booth for Penquin to "Sell by way of demonstration". But it is not high-pressure and not mandatory.
I was fortunate to learn a bit from Michael Amarr and he made himself available for direct contact and conversation (during a break and, again, after the event). So I would say you will surely get something out of the evening. And Greg Wilson is amazing!

By coincidence, I am originally FROM Philadelphia.
Thanks!

Oh and... REPRESENT!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results