Cookie Cutter by Dan Sperry Review

Sep 4, 2007
Don't let the spectators ever be the one at risk.

Give me a break.

I use a roulette routine occasionally, and I would never, ever, do it with a spectator. Even if it's a one in a million chance of messing up--it is not worth it.

A spectator is more likely to die driving to your show, than they are getting hurt during your show. By the logic your applying here, I should never let my spectator shuffle the cards either, in case they get a paper cut.

There is a right way to do things, and a wrong way.

Unfortunately I can't find the link to Derren's amazing chocolate roll plot, executed with the League of Gentleman from Trick or Treat Season 1 episode 1.

Suffice to say, it's brilliant.

urban

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
A spectator is more likely to die driving to your show, than they are getting hurt during your show. By the logic your applying here, I should never let my spectator shuffle the cards either, in case they get a paper cut.

There is a very big difference between a paper cut, and having their mouth sliced up to hell, possibly risking swallowing a razor blade.

There is a right way to do things, and a wrong way.

Too bad you don't seem understand the difference.

-ThrallMind

Sep 4, 2007
Here is a link that shows why you should never put a spectator at risk (second one):

I only clicked on it, and then closed it because it looks like the same vid as the first one linked to, which doesn't say anything when it comes to safety and stupidity.

... to believe that things are safe and that nothing could go wrong is naive if you ask me.

I didn't ask you. Though since you bring it up, yes it is naive. I never said that nothing could go wrong; but to completely avoid executing a very simple and effective trick because of safety issues is stupid.

Let's put it another way. I run the safety department for one of the largest plumbing and heating contractors in Central AB, Canada. Safety, Hazard Assessment, Safe work pratices and procedures - these are all a daily thing for me.

So once again I say, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

There is a very big difference between a paper cut, and having their mouth sliced up to hell, possibly risking swallowing a razor blade.

Yes, there is for sure. Although, unless you are completely inept - you should never have a problem.

Again, by your logic Magic Mountain inc. should shut down for fear of every one of there very large Coasters killing it's riders.

Too bad you don't seem understand the difference.

Clearly I know the difference, and have demonstrated why without linking to a poorly done youtube video with a very poorly executed effect by a retarted magician.

This isn't rocket science. It's basic deception. To avoid someone getting hurt simply means taking the time to do the proper procedures beforehand, rehearse, practice, know your effect and how it works.

A lot of these effects have built in measure's that prevent someone from getting hurt even if they are suicidal and want to get hurt.

So, go back to your keyboard and come back with a more intelligent response, or go away.

urban

Sep 1, 2007
I'd like to take a moment and expand on Cookie Cutter vs what you saw Derren perform.

Derren's performance is a presentation of prediction/influence.

Cookie Cutter and most other Russian Roulette routines are demonstrations of clairvoyance, divination, perhaps even muscle reading.

Two VERY different types of things!

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Yes, there is for sure. Although, unless you are completely inept - you should never have a problem.

Again, by your logic Magic Mountain inc. should shut down for fear of every one of there very large Coasters killing it's riders.

You misunderstand the point of our debate.

I am not speaking about the ACTUAL safety of the spectator. I am saying you should NEVER put the spectator into a situation where they feel they can be in danger.

-ThrallMind

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I didn't ask you.

Saw that coming :p

Though since you bring it up, yes it is naive. I never said that nothing could go wrong;

And I never said that you did say that.

but to completely avoid executing a very simple and effective trick because of safety issues is stupid.

So because I don't want to risk slitting my spectators mouth wide open, I'M the stupid one?

Let's put it another way. I run the safety department for one of the largest plumbing and heating contractors in Central AB, Canada. Safety, Hazard Assessment, Safe work pratices and procedures - these are all a daily thing for me.

So once again I say, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Didn't really see how this was related? Sorry :confused: It's late though, so that might be why.

No one is saying anyone here is inept. However I find it strange that you agree that "it is naive" to think that nothing could go wrong and then say "should never have a problem"...

Rather an extreme example, but I do see your point. Don't you think that's being a tad bit pedantic. I don't think any of us are saying "omg everything is dangerous, don't ever use scissors again"... I think most people who get on roller-coasters know that something could happen, they're in it for a thrill anyway, so why not take that extra risk. In a magic show however, I don't think they're really there to risk swallowing a razor blade... (regardless of how safe the magician says/thinks/knows it is)

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
Now, now, children! Let's behave! lol

Alright let me just say this...

I have performed the Russian Roulette routine for years as I stated in my review......

I have had it go wrong once!

Even though I would have swore it was safe and nothing would ever happen, it did!

I ended up with a nail through my right hand! That's right! All the way through.

Do not put your spectators at unnecessary risk!

Got that everyone! :)

Sep 3, 2007
I was in no way upset. However, lets go over you scenario. There are two main times that someone could wander by. While your back is turned and the other person is mixing them around. If at this point, someone were to pick up a cookie and try to shove something in it, someone is going to say something. Simple as that. Any other time, you are facing the cookies and would see if someone did that.

Okay that makes a lot of sense. By the way I've graduated college so unless I return for a Masters degree I don't think I'd be performing this at school lunch anytime soon. There are numerous scenarios I can think of where someone could contrive to mess up this trick whether they've seen it before or have heard about it. After all, how many times do you plan on using it and how are you to restrict who gets to see it if you use it regularly? (word gets around).

If there are any issues with safety that haven't been well thought out then there are issues with safety, that is the point.

Plus, why wouldn't the spectators think it's easy for the performer to see which cookie has a razor jam-rodded so eloquently into the middle? They don't know what is going to happen but when you turn your back it wouldn't be too difficult for some fool to inspect the cookies. And depending on the method make it harder for you to do your trick or simply figure out how it works.

Sep 4, 2007
I am not speaking about the ACTUAL safety of the spectator. I am saying you should NEVER put the spectator into a situation where they feel they can be in danger.

Well my friend, those are two entirely different things as you point out. I agree you should never make someone who doesn't enjoy the feeling of tension go through it. It's like sitting a date down to watch Texas Chainsaw when she is expecting a romantic comedy.

Spectator management and knowing your audience is what it comes down to.

So because I don't want to risk slitting my spectators mouth wide open, I'M the stupid one?

I never said you are stupid Sean, I said the concept was. I didn't mean it personally.

Anyhow, I'll come back to what you were saying........dinner, so I have to feed the kids.

urban

Sep 1, 2007
Okay that makes a lot of sense. By the way I've graduated college so unless I return for a Masters degree I don't think I'd be performing this at school lunch anytime soon. There are numerous scenarios I can think of where someone could contrive to mess up this trick whether they've seen it before or have heard about it. After all, how many times do you plan on using it and how are you to restrict who gets to see it if you use it regularly? (word gets around).

If there are any issues with safety that haven't been well thought out then there are issues with safety, that is the point.

Plus, why wouldn't the spectators think it's easy for the performer to see which cookie has a razor jam-rodded so eloquently into the middle? They don't know what is going to happen but when you turn your back it wouldn't be too difficult for some fool to inspect the cookies. And depending on the method make it harder for you to do your trick or simply figure out how it works.

Well, as a professional performer, I very rarely perform for the same audience twice. Even if you did, unless you have some very serious enemies, no one is going to contrive to mess it up.

If you were at all worried about safety, you don't have to use a razor blade. Any small object will work. A coin, which you will feel if you happened to bite into that cookie. That isn't going to hurt you. You could use a corner off of a playing card. Just about anything!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results