Creating Your Own Effect And Marketing It

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
This is a big topic! Please don't say someone all ready made a thread about this and then post a link, It just really annoys me. I want this to be my topic
How do you market an effect?

You can do this. You first most likely need to copyright your effect http://www.gocopyright.com/, so no one steals it and copyrights it over, this is legal I was talking about this concept with someone, or there was already a thread but you need to send it in and preferably make a video of you or someone else (preferably you) to the site you want to make money from. I don't know anything about profits or money you have to pay to create your effect if its a gimmick or what not, I am just a kid. This can be surely asked and resolved by the site.

KEY:You must have a great effect to market, and that would actually be worth buying, maybe show it to your friends or family and see if they like it, improve it and change it if you need to. Well, I guess thats all I know, good luck! I am working on some effects as we type (I'm being sarcastic)So don't be surprised if you see my name on any new tricks :)

Good luck!
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
This is a big topic! Please don't say someone all ready made a thread about this and then post a link, It just really annoys me. I want this to be my topic
How do you market an effect?

You can do this. You first most likely need to copyright your effect, so no one steals it and copyrights it over, this is legal I was talking about this concept with someone, or there was already a thread but you need to send it in and preferably make a video of you or someone else (preferably you) to the site you want to make money from. I don't know anything about profits or money you have to pay to create your effect if its a gimmick or what not, I am just a kid. This can be surely asked and resolved by the site.

KEY:You must have a great effect to market, and that would actually be worth buying, maybe show it to your friends or family and see if they like it, improve it and change it if you need to. Well, I guess thats all I know, good luck! I am working on some effects as we type (I'm being sarcastic)So don't be surprised if you see my name on any new tricks :)

Good luck!
Brian

no offense, but could you do a little research before you post something. it sounds like you know a little about it but you didn't exactly tell us how to copyrigth an effect etc.

Sadly you cannot copyright the method to a trick, so some unethical soul*cough*MAGICMAKERS*cough* can steal your trick.

You can only copyright the name. That's why there are so many knock-offs these days.

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
no offense, but could you do a little research before you post something. it sounds like you know a little about it but you didn't exactly tell us how to copyrigth an effect etc.
I posted a link, they have steps there, my teacher copyrighted over 100 aliens and it did not take that long. There are different sites. That is not the only site.
And look, I'm just trying to give people ideas to start off, this can all be asked somewhere else!

From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_rights_to_magic_methods

Copyright
Copyright and patents, along with trade marks, are the main way that most legal systems explicitly provide for the creation of intellectual property rights and their protection.

Copyright does not automatically subsist in a magic trick per se, or any outcome achieved by way of such tricks. For example, according to United States copyright law:

In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.[1]

The description of how a magic trick is performed may constitute a work of art that can be protected by way of copyright. However, exposing or revealing an explanation for how a magic trick is performed generally does not constitute an act of copyright infringement.

A possible exception is where an exact copy of a description, including details of a particular magician's stage adaptations of the trick, is divulged.

In practical terms,
if a magician writes a pamphlet which describes how a trick works, the pamphlet will generally be subject to copyright, but the trick itself will not be.

The magician would have the same exclusive rights in the written pamphlet as an author has in a book, but the magician would not be able to prevent people from doing what was described in the pamphlet.

Another potential area of copyright protection for magic creators is through a choreography or pantomime copyright. Although this has yet to be tested in actual case law, a magic effect arguably meets the legal definitions for choreography and pantomime"

Hope this clears up any problems

Cheers, Tom

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
That's why there are so many knock-offs these days.

Not exactly. I could explain the concept of manufacturing overruns, but nobody would listen. All they'd hear is someone encouraging the purchase of knockoffs, which I don't (because - amazingly - you really do get what you pay for), but I don't fault anyone for buying them either.

Sep 1, 2007
Sadly you cannot copyright the method to a trick, so some unethical soul*cough*MAGICMAKERS*cough* can steal your trick.

You can only copyright the name. That's why there are so many knock-offs these days.

However, you can get it patented (if it's a gimmick).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results