Creator's Confusion

Jul 15, 2009
Hi guys,

It's me again.I have this little conflict or confusion I have regarding artists and creations. Do other artists and creators perform or actually add in their repertoire magic that had already been made by other creators or artists?

I would very much like to hear from the artists from theory11 about this topic.Do they perform or add work from other artists?Chris Kenner? Daniel Garcia?Dan White?Homer Liwag?

I would very much like to hear from the artists of theory11 themselves regarding this topic.These are the guys that I look up too and I want to hear their views about performing stuff that they themselves did not create.

Any autobiographer of Dai Vernon is also welcome to comment.He's like the major person I look up to.It was just too bad that he died before I got interested in magic.

Thanks in advance...:)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I personally know a few artists who only use their own material that they have created and do not like to use effects that are not their own. They enjoy watching other magician's effects but will not utilize them in their act.

Then on the other hand...there are professionals who use and swap material from many other artists.

I think it is just a preference.

May 9, 2010
I like to addapt tricks so far that they are nearly 100% different from the other trick.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladys and Gentlemen! The one! The only! DarkWitness!

May 9, 2010
Then again I like making a new effect.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladys and Gentlemen! The one! The only! DarkWitness!

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I like to claim that everything I perform is 100% me. However there are a few pieces that I perform that are not, Prevaricator, System 88 and one other piece come to mind. However with last one I have change certain parts of it.

I have a lot of magic books and DVD however I very rarely peform anything from them, for the simple reason it is not me. I may like the method but it will not fit me perfectly for many reasons. I personally find it easier to peform something that is my own creation because instead of reading / watching an effect a few times and practicing it you simply learn the effect and not why the effect works.

In contrast when I create something everything small action has been refined over and over again to the point where I know why every little thing is occuring. However I do draw heavily on plots and sublities the methods to a lesser extend but the presentation is almost always completely changed except for the three effects I mentioned earlier.

I was able to get a coy of Daniel Madison's Dangerous (Go see if you haven't already, its brilliant!) and in the end credits he gives the original inspiration and/or technique that the trick was modified from.

I don't personally have any original material but then again I am a newbie!

Dec 14, 2007
Many of the people who sell magic tricks to the community are not performers. They do not make their living performing magic for lay audiences. Their careers consist of creating magic which appeals to a magician's sensibilities and selling those.

I can't think of a single successful, working professional magician who does not use material created from other sources. Of course, they adapt it to their own needs, visions, and styles but the smart one's still very much know that their foundation is in another's creation.

Sep 7, 2008
I think creators who only perform their own material are seriously missing out. Of course I perform all of my original creations, but there are so many powerful effects marketed by others. In my opinion, not performing them can be a disservice to both you and the spectator.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results