Criss Angel An Amazing "Magician"?

Is Criss Angel the the best thing that ever happened to magic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 4, 2007
The only thing wrong with Criss, in my opinion, is his ego. BUT, he has a reason to have a big ego. He's been considered the greatest magician IN THE WORLD, so he has to defend that title. And you can't sit there and tell me that if you became a millionaire, you wouldn't have a little bit of an ego problem. All richer people do.

Anthony Bass

Ok. I won't comment on the poll but I will comment on the extremely ridiculous statement above. Chris' ego is way out of control and I have seen many MANY examples of the rich and powerful who in no way have ego issues.

The fact that his ego is that out of control just goes to show how truly uncomfortable he is with his roll. As a role model Criss is no where near as influential or popular as many Actors and singers out there and many of them hold their public and bretheren in much higher respects.

Also, best magician in the world? Hardly. For sure he deserves respect for his success but (and this is just my opinion - but I'm willing to bet that scores of people would agree including the lay public) Derren Brown would school his ass hard.

Rd

Ok. I won't comment on the poll but I will comment on the extremely ridiculous statement above. Chris' ego is way out of control and I have seen many MANY examples of the rich and powerful who in no way have ego issues.

The fact that his ego is that out of control just goes to show how truly uncomfortable he is with his roll. As a role model Criss is no where near as influential or popular as many Actors and singers out there and many of them hold their public and bretheren in much higher respects.

Also, best magician in the world? Hardly. For sure he deserves respect for his success but (and this is just my opinion - but I'm willing to bet that scores of people would agree including the lay public) Derren Brown would school his ass hard.

Rd

True, there are more wealthy people who treat people with better respect. But have you ever met any of them? In person? They're not as nice as they are on camera. That's why they call them ACTORS. You CANNOT deny that money can change people for the worse. Maybe you have seen lots of examples with richer people without ego problems, but I guarantee you've seen more who DO have ego problems. I could list hundreds, but lets not get into that. Yes, Criss has an ego problem, we all know that, but alot of wealthy people do. Money does that to some people. And i'm not saying that I think he's the best magician in the world, but he HAS BEEN CONSIDERED IT BY MANY OTHER MAGICIANS. Get over it, it's the cold hard fact. No, maybe some magicians dislike him, but you gotta give the guy props for the crap he's been through. And yes, if Derren Brown were to go face-to-face with Criss......well, it'd be quite embarassing for Mr. Angel.;)

My point:
Criss Angel, a disgrace to magic? No. If anything, he helps magic highly. He's influenced hundreds of kids around the world to get into our art. Including me.
Criss Angel, money hungry, ego-maniac? For sure.

Anthony Bass

Sep 4, 2007
True, there are more wealthy people who treat people with better respect. But have you ever met any of them? In person? They're not as nice as they are on camera.

Anthony Bass

Yes I have. I work in the film industry and traveling to Vancouver (Canada) I have met plenty of celebrities both on and off set. Some excellent examples of very rich and very influential people who have zero ego issues that I have met include Angelina Jolie, Antonio Banderas, Bryan Singer, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, Cristian Slater, Tara Reid, Ben Affleck and I could go on. (I don't say this to brag as its not like any of these people would remember me as significant however they do hold a conversation and are VERY gracious individuals.)
However on the flip side I have also met Mr. Stallone and yes - egos can get out of control.

My point is that I do disagree that the majority of people who are in that position have ego issues. I would definitely say it's quite the opposite and I base that on direct expirience. Very few have the issue that Criss presents and EVEN FEWER actually present it to the public through their show, and or movies. Criss is one of the minority and his ego is outrageously out of control and many of the lay public I talk to are the ones who tell me this has not changed as I have stopped watching him for this very reason. His show just isn't fun.

In any case, I agree with you that he has been influential and he has for sure been considered by many to be one of the best in the world. However I highly disagree with those that compare him to Houdini making the ridiculous claim that he is the 'modern day Houdini' - of course how ironic is it that he was the first one to say this.

Criss Angel is definitely deserving of respect, for being a success and for being a really good example of how to be successful - namely his workhabits and such. However respect for his Current persona and the example he sets - absolutely not.

Rd

Sep 4, 2007
i do believe anthony bass just got pwnd.

pizzowned

criss is not a douche because hes rich; hes a douche because hes a douche.

Just curious...why are you all tweakin on him? How is he a disgrace to magic, do you know how many people hes inspired to get into magic. Hes kept magic going. So waht if he edits?! Hes a magician, its meant to trick people whether it sleight of hand, a gimick, or editing. You people cant tell me you wouldnt like to have levitation videos and stuff angel has, because i know that all of you would jump at that oppertunit if you had the chance. Seriousky, lay off, hes a magician and is meant to entertains, and he does a damn good job at it

Sep 1, 2007
Just curious...why are you all tweakin on him? How is he a disgrace to magic, do you know how many people hes inspired to get into magic. Hes kept magic going. So waht if he edits?! Hes a magician, its meant to trick people whether it sleight of hand, a gimick, or editing. You people cant tell me you wouldnt like to have levitation videos and stuff angel has, because i know that all of you would jump at that oppertunit if you had the chance. Seriousky, lay off, hes a magician and is meant to entertains, and he does a damn good job at it

The point of magic is to entertain, but when do we draw the line? What is magic? Is cam edits magic? is it really? do all I have to do to be a good magician is to stand in front of a blue screen?

If cam edits is magic then so is star wars.

If cam edits is magic then so is star wars.
Well if you consider Star Wars as creating the illusion of impossibility or supernaturalness and people are entertained by it, then I suppose it is magic.

A magician is an artist that that entertains an audience by creating illusions of impossible or supernatural feats using purely natural means. If you are entertaining your audience, should it really matter how it's being done?

There are stage magicians performing every day that use stooges. Are they also not real magicians even though it makes absolutely no difference in the audience's mind?

Nov 11, 2007
The reason why I "hate" on Criss Angel is because he is a pop magician and not a magician's magician, say like Blaine. Although Criss is a good showman and his illusions show great imagination he is far too over the top. It is one thing to use camera editing once in a while, but now he is using editing and stooging to up his last "impossible" feat. It will never end until people start laughing at him rather than awing at him.
My real dislike started for Criss Angel when I noticed on his show and television appearances he now has a habit of teaching a magic trick to the audience. Now these tricks seem stupid and trivial as he teaches them but the reality of it is, these are tricks that real magicians perform in the real world. Just because he levitates 1,000 ft in the air doesn't give him the right to teach laymen how to make a match dissapear, or put a coin through a table. It is for this reason that when I am asked the common question for magicians: "What do you think of Criss Angel?" I do not hesitate to tell them just what I think.
And as for him inspiring people to start doing magic... I'm not sure I want a bunch of ellusionist crazed, Criss Angel fanatics in my art.

I think the main reason people hate angel, is jealousy. Hes ****in famous for magic while everyone else is out on the streets doing it or doing kids b-day parties[other than pros]. Yea, there are other famous magicians that you people dont hate like blaine, burton, and copperfield probably, but i stil dont understand why you hate him? He edits, woopdy f*(k!n doo. HES A MAGICIAN, HE ENTERTAINS. Get it through your heads people come on

Sep 1, 2007
Well if you consider Star Wars as creating the illusion of impossibility or supernaturalness and people are entertained by it, then I suppose it is magic.

A magician is an artist that that entertains an audience by creating illusions of impossible or supernatural feats using purely natural means. If you are entertaining your audience, should it really matter how it's being done?

There are stage magicians performing every day that use stooges. Are they also not real magicians even though it makes absolutely no difference in the audience's mind?

I try to set the bar a little higher for my self. If you think it's ok to stand in front of a blue screen and pay actors to act like there seeing you float of the ground, and call that magic, then be my guest. But I will not. I consider magic, an art form. And that is not art, its a LOOK WHAT I CAN DO get rich quick scheme. And people who do this have no respect for there audience to deliver quality real working illusions. Or for magic.

No thanks, ill watch star wars.

Sep 2, 2007
You don't get to be the Magic Castle's Magician of the Year by being a disgrace to magic. Evidently he's doing something right.

Sep 4, 2007
I think the main reason people hate angel, is jealousy. Hes ****in famous for magic while everyone else is out on the streets doing it or doing kids b-day parties[other than pros].

Actually it has nothing to do with Jealousy for me. I'm not jealous of anybody who is famous, as it is not something I desire. I have different values and goals to serve a different end and I have no desire to be super rich or famous.

That said, Criss has my respect for the level of success he has achieved. However it is a given that his ego is out of control, and that he has very little respect for his fans (except for when the cameras are rolling.)

Even when using stooges - at least have the ability to spot and hire good actors. I can't tell you how incredibly bad - awful - the gutbuster performance was. The stooge being used was SO bad and Criss' acting was worse. If you can call it acting.

That's just an example I remember because like I said earlier, I don't watch him. True that he inspired many magicians to get into magic but the fact remains, there are SO many performers out there that have more charisma and way more ego control than Criss............and I don't know if its just me, but I notice a lot of the most fantastic performers of today are not North American.

I mean, and excuse my ignorance for this, but I just caught wind of Benjamin Earl and once again - Criss would be schooled pure and simple. (of course just my opinion.)

Rd

Sep 1, 2007
The reason why I "hate" on Criss Angel is because he is a pop magician and not a magician's magician, say like Blaine.

Why would anyone want to be a magicians' magician? Magicians are petty, paranoid, haughty, holier-than-thou backstabbers guarding their secrets with more fervor than an undercover CIA agent. They participate in rivalries over the smallest transgressions, real or imagined. They get swept up in artistic politics and gauge the length of their feet based on how many times they fool other magicians.

Why would I want to be a magician for any of you?

My real dislike started for Criss Angel when I noticed on his show and television appearances he now has a habit of teaching a magic trick to the audience.

Or as magicians in general refer to it, the end of the world.

And as for him inspiring people to start doing magic... I'm not sure I want a bunch of ellusionist crazed, Criss Angel fanatics in my art.

Ahoy there, Kaptain Kvlt!

Kvlt kiddie syndrome is on the rise. If we don't teach our children to avoid it... who will?

That's just an example I remember because like I said earlier, I don't watch him. True that he inspired many magicians to get into magic but the fact remains, there are SO many performers out there that have more charisma and way more ego control than Criss.

Also known as the Metallica Effect.

This thread proves my thoughts that about 1 in 5 critics of Criss Angel have anything worth saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to set the bar a little higher for my self. If you think it's ok to stand in front of a blue screen and pay actors to act like there seeing you float of the ground, and call that magic, then be my guest. But I will not. I consider magic, an art form. And that is not art, its a LOOK WHAT I CAN DO get rich quick scheme. And people who do this have no respect for there audience to deliver quality real working illusions. Or for magic.

No thanks, ill watch star wars.
Maybe I will. If the audience is having fun, what's the difference?

L

Liam Carrie

Idont think supernaturalness is a word but we get what you mean

Sep 1, 2007
Touché

;)

Rd

I count you among the minority that have something to say. Mostly because you're a realist.

I stand by my stance that magicians in general are petty crybabies and elitists with ego problems in some form or another. They rallying hatred for Criss Angel is just another example. Even when he does something right like calling out Jim Callahan on Phenomenon, people still find a way to complain about it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results