Criss Angel's Challenge

Sep 1, 2007
Agreed, but I don't think the question is whether or not he could do live magic for 30 minutes with the rules listed, but whether he could perform effects as impressive as levitating from building to building.

Anthony Bass

If we're talking sheer bombast, levitating from one building to another is just a drop in the bucket.

Actually The Asshat and Cyril both do magic you could only do with certain set ups and helpers to a degree. (Cyril not as much from what I have seen) They all use specially built props and situations you couldn't do "Impromptu"

Cyril has more stage background than David. So yes, he does use a lot of unique set-ups. However, he and David both really cut their teeth working close-up.

With that in mind, I'd say at any given time you can probably guess it's about equally divided between elaborate set-ups, and the entirely self-contained.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I don't like Criss Angel that much, or his use of camera tricks, but now that I think about it, it's just like using a gimmick, in a way.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
*will probably get flamed for this*

I have only ever seen Criss use camera tricks once, and I didn't have a problem with it at all because it was just thrown in there as a joke-sorta thing. Granted, here in Australia we've only had season one completed and we are now a few episodes into season two, but yeah.

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
First thing first, it was not a no name magician. It was Mark Wilson, one of the GREATEST magician around. Having said that my next thing is this the first two season of Mindfreak were great. Criss did a lot of street magic, the people were involved...it was in your face kind of magic. I think Criss biggest problem is that he is putting on to much of a show. To me I do not like stage magic, I like that close-up magic were that person is right there. I think that a person believe in magic more when they are right there involved. I tink Criss need to get back to that. I believe this challenge is the best way to do that and I hope he will.

I agree with you, ever since season 3 started he became too confident. I personally like the season 1 episodes, he had a completely different personally, now 75% of it is staged.

Dec 5, 2007
Yes he might use some camera tricks but alot of them can be done live. Have any of you that is saying he sucks seen him live? I have and he has some skills his live show was great.

And even if he uses some camera tricks, do you think they would put a magician on tv with no skills at all? He have been doing magic for a long time its not like he started when mindfreak went on television.

And the magicians that are telling that he sucks, what have they done that are so much better?

So yes i have seen his live show and he can performe for real people.

Sep 3, 2007
I think he could do it. I have only ever watched Criss Angel's show for one reason: to tell people why he sucks.

And while I can certainly say he uses camera tricks to his advantage on the show, I still see plenty of evidence that he does it as a convenience. He's not just an incompetent boob who uses nothing but stooges and camera tricks, he's got real skills. Maybe not amazing awe-inspiring skills, but he does have skills.

I wouldn't say that if I didn't believe it. Trust me, if I could say Criss Angel was a cheating hack who gives us all a bad name, I'd say it. I don't like him. I simply respect him as a performer, not because of his popularity or his "contributions" to the art, but because he does have skills.

OMFGMFr/// What? that's like saying Tom Cruise elected to back off on pure status. Tom Cruise: READY TO FIGIHT... jeez: Tom Cruise.

Here's another Idea. If you stole my trick and I punched you in the face would you get mad?

\Pease

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 24, 2007
You guys really think Criss is going to respond to some no-name guy who's calling him out? I won't count on it.

Creeper, you need to learn some magic history man. In order to create new things, we must build off of the past.

Here is some stuff about Mark Wilson, your so called "no name magician". (lol)

"Mark Wilson was named one of the top ten American magicians of the 20th Century, along with Houdini, Thurston, David Copperfield, Doug Henning and Siegfried & Roy by Magic Magazine (largest selling independent magazine for magicians). Produced and starred in network television’s first weekly magic series, Magic Land of Allakazam, which aired for two years on CBS and three years on ABC networks; Starred in six Magic Circus specials, the Magic of Mark Wilson syndicated series, four HBO Magic Specials, and numerous international television specials in countries around the world. World’s most honored magician. Master’s Fellowship and twice “Magician Of The Year” Academy of Magical Arts/Magic Castle… Magician’s Hall of Fame, Society of American Magicians… Superstar of Magic, International Brotherhood of Magicians, David Devant Award, British Magic Circle and many other national and international awards." (taken from: www.markwilsonmagic.com)

Mark Wilson is not a no name. He was around before Criss Angel was even born and he is considered a great magician of our time. Do you know who Dia Vernon or Eugene Burger are?

Tyler

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
Creeper, you need to learn some magic history man. In order to create new things, we must build off of the past.

"Mark Wilson was named one of the top ten American magicians of the 20th Century, along with Houdini, Thurston, David Copperfield, Doug Henning and Siegfried & Roy by Magic Magazine (largest selling independent magazine for magicians). Produced and starred in network television’s first weekly magic series, Magic Land of Allakazam, which aired for two years on CBS and three years on ABC networks; Starred in six Magic Circus specials, the Magic of Mark Wilson syndicated series, four HBO Magic Specials, and numerous international television specials in countries around the world. World’s most honored magician. Master’s Fellowship and twice “Magician Of The Year” Academy of Magical Arts/Magic Castle… Magician’s Hall of Fame, Society of American Magicians… Superstar of Magic, International Brotherhood of Magicians, David Devant Award, British Magic Circle and many other national and international awards." (taken from: www.markwilsonmagic.com)

Mark Wilson is not a no name. He was around before Criss Angel was even born and he is considered a great magician of our time. Do you know who Dia Vernon or Eugene Burger are?

Tyler

you gotta remember Tyler, there are a lot of E and T11 kids on here. Not saying that all of them don't know history but they could definitely use a lesson or 2. Mark Wilson was my start 17 years ago.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
that's like saying Tom Cruise elected to back off on pure status.

Um... no. That's like saying Tom Cruise is a good actor. See, regardless of whether he's a head case and a freak and a religious zealot, his acting skill is a whole different thing.

So while I may not like Criss Angel's show, and I may not like his stage persona, and I may not like the things he chooses to do... I can't say he's an unskilled no-talent hack, because he is skilled and he does have talent. I can't even say I don't like him anymore, because honestly, he's pretty cool once you get him away from the hype machine.

But I can still say his show sucks.

Sep 3, 2007
OMFGMFr/// What? that's like saying Tom Cruise elected to back off on pure status. Tom Cruise: READY TO FIGIHT... jeez: Tom Cruise.

Here's another Idea. If you stole my trick and I punched you in the face would you get mad?

\Pease

Sorry guys I was thinking that awwww. The pin sticks out, the opposite sticks in. Post don't mean crap because people actualy write what they think!.. Otherwise it's just idiotic to post things that are negative in nature.

Sep 3, 2007
You wouldn't feel bad about doing my trick? I'd punch pretty hard. Really hard. Like a brick. Or flower depending on your perogative. If I hit something I will destroy it. Peace. Just like a deck of cards. A deck of cards with a clover on it. Depicting Katie's love for flowers.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

You guys have to realize that while most magicians may know who Mark Wilson is... give me five people that aren't magicians and know who Mark Wilson is. Most commonly if I ask a friend to name all the magicians they know, all they can say is Criss Angel, David Copperfield, David Blaine, and sometimes they will even say me. That's it. So to most people Mark Wilson is a no named magician, but to us he isn't. Therefore, it doesn't really matter what this person says at all. If let's say... Copperfield started something up or Brad Pitt said something.... then we may have something different going on.

-Doug

Tyler

Thank you Tyler you beat me to it. But you forgot to mention his book Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic which several members here said was their first magic book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results