Critique on show poster appreciated.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Tickets are only 5$ and the info will be on the website when I set all that up. I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for the kind words.

QR codes...pretty sure theyre a lost medium, never ever seen anyone use them. Why, when it's faster to just type in a web address? Not convinced it would be beneficial, but thanks for the thought!

Kevin

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Very classy. Like it a lot. I'm not so sure about a qr code either. Nobody around me ever uses them nor have I seen them on anything lately. I think it was something that never caught on. I could be wrong though.

Feb 4, 2008
The only thing is the shirt. I take it you are a mentalist? Somehow the unbuttoned shirt looks a bit too casual. I really don't know enough about style to give you a specific reason for this. My "gut" tells me that if I were a college kid looking at that I would be less likely to attend because you look too much like me(not me specifically...meaning you look too much like another college student.)

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Tried with the shirt buttoned to the top, and with a tie, and thought this looked better. I also have to photoshop my goggletan out... Here's another poster concept:

Poster 2

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Ya, qr codes are losing steam. I work with high school students and they love them and will scan them just for the novelty. Not sure about college age tho.

I prefer the vertical poster. Your dress should reflect your style and what you will actually be wearing (and by dress, I mean shirt, no dress - unless your into that... j/k).

Nov 17, 2007
Hey Kevin,
The design itself is solid. Well done.

I would recommend doing some work on the photo though. Right now it looks like you took it straight off the camera. Because the photo is a focal point, the entire poster could benefit quite a bit by touching it up to add some drama and intrigue. Here's an example of how simple the changes can be yet provide drastic results:

QAzbg.jpg

Plus, it's an excuse to look at Megan Fox. Win - Win.

Either way, have an amazing time at the show and I hope it's a massive success. You should invite Megan Fox.

Tyler Wilson

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I prefer the first poster over the second, but my one recommendation, which is hearty, is to darken your face a bit.

No joke, when I first clicked that link, it took a second to load and when it did, I jumped a little. Your face is so bright in it, and it's so central, that it's jarring. The rest of the information was lost because I was so focused on your face glaring out at me. Take out some of the brightness and that will lessen. Also, when I asked my girlfriend sitting right next to me, she said, "looks like a prison photo."

So try to take some of the brightness off the face and I think it looks good.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Tyler- I edited it a little bit to make it pop more, it was very dark right off the camera. I'll try to mess with the colors a little to see if I find a way to make it more intriguing.

ChrisT - prison photo, really? hmm. Interesting, I don't think it looks much like a mug shot... I'll try to darken my face a little, see if I find something I like better.

Thanks for the input

Kevin

Dec 11, 2010
California
Poster looks, great. Good typography. Only problem I have with the poster is the photo itself. Not sure if you attempted to darken underneath the eyes, but that could use some work. Having done some photoshop, I do know that getting it the right color can get tricky. Another thing I think you can fix if you have time is the dress shirt. I'm not trying to be picky, but the fact that your left collar is not even close to being symmetrical is a bit annoying. I'm sure that the average person walking but wouldn't notice nor care about it and not fixing it wont change their mind as to if they are planning to come or not, but you asked for suggestions and there you have it. Good luck in the show.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
The reason the skin under the eyes is lighter is because I have a tan line from wearing goggles during swim practice... And I guess I could go back and take a better symmetrical picture, but I'm not too worried about it.. I'm more worried about trying to photoshop my goggletan out.

Thanks for the input

Kevin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results