cups and balls or T11 stuff

Cups and balls or T11

• Total voters

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Hi guys I was wondering if I should get my first cups and balls set or smoke, deck1, and the hole thing. this is purely opinion (and money is not a problem either) so let me know what you think

Could you tell us a little bit more about yourself? Do you like impromptu stuff? Are you a card/coin person reaching out into a new area? Are you someone who uses less sleight of hand and more gimmicks? This will help us to make a choice that will benefit you best.

Mehar

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Could you tell us a little bit more about yourself? Do you like impromptu stuff? Are you a card/coin person reaching out into a new area? Are you someone who uses less sleight of hand and more gimmicks? This will help us to make a choice that will benefit you best.

Mehar
Ok well I recently read Dai Vernon book of magic and there was cups and balls in it and it looked promising so I would like to buy it. And yes I am a card/coin guy going into a new area. I also love all kinds of impromptu magic. I will rarely use gimmicks since you can get caught easily. I hope this helps

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
You don't get caught easily with gimmicks unless you perform them poorly.
Here read http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?30636-How-I-fell-in-love-with-organic-magic&highlight=fell+love+organic+magic and hopefully it'll change your mind on gimmicks.

Jacob
I only said you could get caught easily, not that I do get caught. And the only reason I like sleight of hand better than gimmicks because it doesn't feel that natural, but the origami magic sounds kind of neat so I'll look into it.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Get the cups and balls set, even if you don't perform it often it will teach you a lot about magic that you'll use in everything else you do.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Get the cups and balls set, even if you don't perform it often it will teach you a lot about magic that you'll use in everything else you do.
I'm mainly getting the cups and balls now because I just got a gig. So I think it would be good for my routine

Sep 1, 2007
I will rarely use gimmicks since you can get caught easily.

If you suck, yes.

I only said you could get caught easily, not that I do get caught.

Same thing.

And the only reason I like sleight of hand better than gimmicks because it doesn't feel that natural

Natural? What the hell does that even mean? It's not natural to palm cards either, and yet here we are.

I'm mainly getting the cups and balls now because I just got a gig. So I think it would be good for my routine

So you booked a show without actually having your act ready? Oh Jesus...

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
If you suck, yes.

NO if you have very annoying people in the crowd

Same thing.

Not really

Natural? What the hell does that even mean? It's not natural to palm cards either, and yet here we are.

yes natural it means that it's easier to get away with sleight of hand than with a gimmick because people have nothing to accuse you of since you have nothing to show but card

So you booked a show without actually having your act ready? Oh Jesus...

no I've had an act for around 2 years but I want to expand on it

there you go case closed

Apr 1, 2009
California
having the act together in your head is different than having it down. I think that's what Steerpike's getting at. You said you're planning on putting cups and balls in your gig coming up when you don't even have the effect yet... unwise. You want to be able to do this stuff in your sleep before doing it for money.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
having the act together in your head is different than having it down. I think that's what Steerpike's getting at. You said you're planning on putting cups and balls in your gig coming up when you don't even have the effect yet... unwise. You want to be able to do this stuff in your sleep before doing it for money.
I already know how to do cups and balls (Dai vernon book of magic) but I need to upgrade my set from plastic to brass

Sep 1, 2007
I already know how to do cups and balls (Dai vernon book of magic) but I need to upgrade my set from plastic to brass

If you don't have it down to muscle memory, then you shouldn't be getting paid for it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results